Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Calibre_N00b
Calibre_N00b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen
Question Keep getting Chapter,Date,Time stamps

So I am very new to Calibre and to Kindle itself, we are talking just a couple of hours, so I apologize in advance if the problem I am facing is very obvious and very amateur-ish.

So I tried converting a PDF formatted book into .MOBI. The conversion went not so greatly, I keep getting these at the end of each page and other times just in random places...

(This was in the acknowledgment section of the book)
Chapter = ack
Date: August 26, 2009
Time: 9:11 am

(For example this was stamped at the end of each page in chapter 1)
Chapter = c01
Date: July 8, 2009
Time: 6:35 pm

Can anyone please help me understand why I am getting these and how I can remove it please?

Again I apologize in advance if this is a very stupid question, as I said I am very very new to all this.

Thank you,
Calibre_N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
That looks like page headers/footers. You'll need to use the search & replace feature in the conversion options to get rid of those. Refer to the PDF sticky and the search & replace sticky for further information, and if you need more help, ask back.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibre_N00b View Post
So I am very new to Calibre and to Kindle itself, we are talking just a couple of hours, so I apologize in advance if the problem I am facing is very obvious and very amateur-ish.

So I tried converting a PDF formatted book into .MOBI. The conversion went not so greatly, I keep getting these at the end of each page and other times just in random places...

(This was in the acknowledgment section of the book)
Chapter = ack
Date: August 26, 2009
Time: 9:11 am

(For example this was stamped at the end of each page in chapter 1)
Chapter = c01
Date: July 8, 2009
Time: 6:35 pm

Can anyone please help me understand why I am getting these and how I can remove it please?

Again I apologize in advance if this is a very stupid question, as I said I am very very new to all this.

Thank you,
They are part of the PDF (Hidden, or 'off page' but still part PDF is for a Hardcopy format. there are many markings included for printers to use in assembling individual pages into the correct order)

3 lines
is going to a tricky 'footer' removal setting <- Hint

I prefer to use Sigil after the basic convert and see what my REGEX finds before letting it replace YMMV
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob
Algiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
I asked kind of the same question in another thread and it seems there are only two ways: the search & replace way (either in calibre or a regex-able text editor) and the cropping-with-Adobe-Acrobat way.

If you try to crop your pdf with anything else (as I recently discovered), it will "hide" the header and/or footer but the actual text will still be in the file and show after conversion.
Algiedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversions