Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 11:16 PM   #106
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
... it makes the semantic meaning of the heading match its level.
Ah, yes. I agree the TOC Editor method is quick-and-dirty and perhaps not to be encouraged
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:59 PM   #107
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
For what it's worth, if I need to do a bunch of simple indent changes in a TOC and really can't be bothered with editing the html or CSS, I find it easy to just bang on an alternating series of right-arrow,down-arrow in the TOC editor then eyeball the ones that I missed () and fix those manually. Granted this might not work too well in the 500 item academic TOC recently mentioned
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 01:38 AM   #108
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
For what it's worth, if I need to do a bunch of simple indent changes in a TOC and really can't be bothered with editing the html or CSS, I find it easy to just bang on an alternating series of right-arrow,down-arrow in the TOC editor then eyeball the ones that I missed () and fix those manually ...
This is what I do, too
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #109
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
1. you can already right click on a class and have relevant style sheet be opened and the cursor placed on the class.
This is one of my absolute favorite things about Sigil over Calibre.

Is there equivalent functionality in Calibre? I'm always Right-Clicking classes and being disappointed when I can't jump right to them in the CSS.

(I know you can Tools > Reports > Style classes in Calibre and jump to the spot in the CSS, but it just ain't the same!)

Quote:
As for toc editing, I have rarely if ever seen a toc with "hundreds of entries".
There are collected works of entire authors.

And journals typically have a dozen articles per volume, and when you're dealing with multi-year compilations, it can explode to hundreds of TOC entries.

Quote:
Most if not all the heading changes can be done with combinations of regular expressions find and replace and clips. So I am not sure how much use multiple selection for movements would be.
Perhaps a "Shift All Below" checkbox (or something along those lines) can be added.

I think the most common use of "multi-select" would be this:

Code:
- Part 1
-- Chapter 1
-- Subchapter 1
-- Subchapter 2
-- Subchapter 3
- Part 2
Moving Subchapters 1-3 to the right/left.

Currently, in Tools > Edit Table of Contents you have to select/move Subchapters 1-3 individually.

1. Select Subchapter 1 (<h2>):

Code:
- Part 1
-- Chapter 1
-- Subchapter 1 <--- Select here.
-- Subchapter 2
-- Subchapter 3
- Part 2
2. "Shift All Below" + Right.

Sigil looks at current depth (<h2>), selects every entry here+down until it hits a different level (any non-<h2>).

3. Move all to the right:

Code:
- Part 1
-- Chapter 1
--- Subchapter 1
--- Subchapter 2
--- Subchapter 3
- Part 2
Or the other direction:

1. Select Subchapter 2:

Code:
- Part 1
-- Chapter 1
--- Subchapter 1
--- Subchapter 2 <--- Select here
--- Subchapter 3
- Part 2
2. "Shift All" + Left twice:

Code:
- Part 1
-- Chapter 1
--- Subchapter 1
- Subchapter 2
- Subchapter 3
- Part 2
By default "Shift All" would be off. It would then be up to the user to check/uncheck the box to do what they want.

Amazon/Kindle Use-Case: Amazon can also hit you with KQNs for having TOC depths >3. (As I preposterously learned a few months ago.)

Code:
- Part 1
-- Chapter 1
--- Subchapter 1.1
---- Subsubchapter 1.1.1 <---- Potential KQN.
So updating an older ebook, only the toc.ncx itself would have to be mass updated.

In this case, using Regex or Tools > Generate Table of Contents would ruin the semantics/underlying structure by changing already correct <h#> levels...

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 01-02-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #110
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
This is one of my absolute favorite things about Sigil over Calibre.

Is there equivalent functionality in Calibre? I'm always Right-Clicking classes and being disappointed when I can't jump right to them in the CSS.

(I know you can Tools > Reports > Style classes in Calibre and jump to the spot in the CSS, but it just ain't the same!)
You can do this from the "Live CSS" view. This is similar to the Styles view in the inspector that Sigil uses, but it works from the editor pane. Click in the text in the editor and the styles being used are shown. Clicking the location for the style takes you to where it is defined.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #111
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Concerning TOC editing, I think a button that can expand or collapse to a particular level may be sufficient. If for example one sets expansion to H1, for multi-select one can either use modifier keys as is done in file managers and other lists, or shift-up and down arrow. Existing controls would behave as is, acting on selection. Sometimes TOC editing via regex is much work as somewhat often publishers may use paragraph classes and generating as such would create a blank TOC. If I need a fair amount of editing, I may replace them with headers, but if the TOC is mostly as I would like, editing is sufficient. One example, in cases such as when chapters are H1 when the should be H2, e.g. Book 1 -> Chapter 1, viewing collapsed as H1 and then moving via multi-select would be what seems to be most efficient.

Indeed as I am starting to think about Sigil as such – what can be borrowed from various editors and apps –, to someday envision and create the most refined EPUB editor possible, I hope such things may someday, added over time, make editing a true joy and bring moments of wow, I cannot believe how simple is such and such action. As one thinks of such, various things come to mind such as right clicking on the author field in the OPF, being context aware, and selecting add file-as. EPUB is in a way a set of code, and there is much that can be taken from the most feature rich IDEs to bring ease of editing, navigation, proofing, etc. There may be others such as Sublime and TextMate for macOS but for me, Intellij is the standard by which all else is measured.

Concerning the convert to EPUB 3 plugin, I am curious under what conditions there may be data loss. No issues that I've seen though maybe there could have been in the past and it'd be nice to know if possible when such may occur.

Last edited by democrite; 01-02-2020 at 08:29 PM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:33 PM   #112
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can do this from the "Live CSS" view. This is similar to the Styles view in the inspector that Sigil uses, but it works from the editor pane. Click in the text in the editor and the styles being used are shown. Clicking the location for the style takes you to where it is defined.
And in calibre it works for any CSS selector, not just classes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:08 PM   #113
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, and now that we have a decent css_parser and access to javavscript getComputedStyle info, we should probably do the same. I will add that to the Sigil to-do list.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:42 PM   #114
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

strange behaviour (windows 10 64bit, 64b sigil & 64bit notepad++)

open epub in sigil (for example The Opium Ship - H Bedford-Jones recent addition from mobileread library- it is the same with any epub)

select The Opium Ship.htm, press f2 to open it in notepad++
let's say i want to open another file from epub in notepad++, i get "this file has been modified by another program. do you want to reload it" error sometimes, sometimes notepad++ opens file i opened before. same behaviour with brackets editor.

however right button open with works just fine.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #115
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. Sigil caches its editing changes and only writes them to disk from memory when required. It does this for speed reasons.

Using “open with” on a file in Sigil tells Sigil to write its changes to disk and set a FileWatcher to look for changes by a third party software (what you use with open with).

Trying to work around that is a sure recipe for disaster.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #116
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

it works just fine when you doubleclick on a file in the epub (or better select it with alt+page up or alt+page down) and then press f2, so i guess it's a feature, not a bug.
sorry.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #117
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes. You actually need to open the file in a tab for the Open In Preferred External XHTML Editor to work. Merely highlighting them in Book Browser is not enough. The tab that's currently got focus will be the one F2 opens.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #118
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Found an odd one:

Tried to add my css sheet "styles.css" and received an unable to load error.

It clashed with the "page_styles.css" file...when I deleted that file it was able to load the new file fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation.png
Views:	155
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	176272  
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #119
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I think there is a snippet of code that tests using endsWith that I must have forgotten.
I will track it down and get it fixed.

Update:

Found and fixed in master. The fix will be in the next release.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-09-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:23 PM   #120
tetrault
Enthusiast
tetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it istetrault knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3
Why txz?

I am trying to download the Mac version of Sigil 1. The file has a txz extension. I have Apple's expander plus three others. None can open the file. Two of them compress the file. I tried gunzip, but it didn't work. I downloaded Sigil three times in case there was damage during transmission. All three had the same problems.

Can you please use a more common compression format such as zip or tar?
tetrault is offline   Reply With Quote