Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
domx
domx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT4
Problems with mobi and notes

Hello, with my kindle (KT4, 5.12.2) I have the problem that when I open a footnote in a mobi file then I cannot change page anymore (when I tap the indicator in the bottom goes on and back, but the page is freezed until I don't turn off and on the kindle again - or I don't go into the menu and I open the book again. Does this happen just to me? The solution I've found is to convert into azw3 by calibre, but then I cannot send it by mail (I like this function because in this way I have the books in the cloud). Sadly I cannot jailbreak my kindle to install another reader.
domx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Just some thoughts until someone with direct experience comments. Is there any pattern to how this problem shows up? Did this problem only appear recently after a firmware update - which might suggest a firmware bug. If this is the case you'd expect to hear reports from other users, with similar problems. Did you do a search to see if anyone else is seeing this?

Is it book related? Where are these mobi books originating from? Is it just one book or books from one source that have this issue? Does it happen with a retail book from a different publisher? Did you try downloading the book a second time to rule out transient corruption?

These basic questions will shed a lot of light on the possible cause. if you don't hear anything from other users for an extended period of time that would tend to suggest it's not firmware related.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
domx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Just some thoughts until someone with direct experience comments. Is there any pattern to how this problem shows up? Did this problem only appear recently after a firmware update - which might suggest a firmware bug. If this is the case you'd expect to hear reports from other users, with similar problems. Did you do a search to see if anyone else is seeing this?

Is it book related? Where are these mobi books originating from? Is it just one book or books from one source that have this issue? Does it happen with a retail book from a different publisher? Did you try downloading the book a second time to rule out transient corruption?

These basic questions will shed a lot of light on the possible cause. if you don't hear anything from other users for an extended period of time that would tend to suggest it's not firmware related.
Hello, thank you for the answer! I don't know if it's firmware related because I bought the kindle recently, so I always used the 5.12.12. I have this problem with every books downloaded (by different sources) in epub (and converted in mobi using calibre). I looked for other people with the same problem but I didn't find anything. I also reported the bug to amazon and they said to buy books from their shop to solve
Old 01-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by domx View Post
Hello, thank you for the answer! I don't know if it's firmware related because I bought the kindle recently, so I always used the 5.12.12. I have this problem with every books downloaded (by different sources) in epub (and converted in mobi using calibre). I looked for other people with the same problem but I didn't find anything. I also reported the bug to amazon and they said to buy books from their shop to solve
Have you tried converting to azw3 instead of mobi?

Also, maybe kindlegen would do a better job converting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000765211
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
You gotta love Amazon's "solution".

Some things to try in the preceding post. And perhaps someone else who has seen similar footnote issues will chime in.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2020, 05:35 AM   #6
domx

Hello, sorry for the late reply. Yes, I am using azw3 right now, but I cannot send by mail to syncronize, so I prefered mobi. But it's not a bit issue since I can use aww3, luckely...
thank you for the answers!