Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 02:10 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
But the point is because of the much higher contrast ratios of LCD and OLED panels your "reasonably sized fonts, neither too big nor too little" and a panel width of 40 characters will be much clearer on LCD/OLED displays than on an E Ink display.
May be, but I don't like to read backlit devices and the only OLED screen I own is in a Blackberry Q10 with a 3.1" screen. It works okay for reading in a pinch, but I much prefer one of my many eInk readers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:01 AM   #17
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Funny,I just switched to the Kindle Paperwhite! As a previous nook user, the Kindle devices and the Kindle ecosystem are just nicer. Yeah, I miss page turn buttons, but syncing my borrowed books across multiple devices makes up for that, and I can get the buttons back if I upgrade. I read threads like this because I wonder what other revelations and new opportunities await, before I have too many ebooks on one particular system. Then again, perhaps I will just end up with multiple devices, and my collection spread among them.
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 05:19 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
I read threads like this because I wonder what other revelations and new opportunities await, before I have too many ebooks on one particular system. Then again, perhaps I will just end up with multiple devices, and my collection spread among them.
Most people here read their books on whichever device they want, no matter where they were purchased. For my part, I could not imagine anything worse than having my books spread over different ecosystems. I would have no idea what I have and what I've read. All my books are in Calibre and I read them on my Kindles or on my Nook, just how the mood takes me. Calibre and the DRM plugins take care of any copy protection measures, if the book has them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Most people here read their books on whichever device they want, no matter where they were purchased. For my part, I could not imagine anything worse than having my books spread over different ecosystems. I would have no idea what I have and what I've read. All my books are in Calibre and I read them on my Kindles or on my Nook, just how the mood takes me. Calibre and the DRM plugins take care of any copy protection measures, if the book has them.
Same here. I've bought books directly from Baen (no DRM), various authors (no DRM typically), the old Sony store and the Kindle store. I would be SOL if I didn't use Calibre and the DRM plugins.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not being able to clean my book purchases (if needed) is a Make / Break point in a purchase.

Lock down you ecosystem... Lock out my consideration of buying your material.
Proprietary stuff is the work of the
Just say NO!
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #21
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Quote:
I got hung up on trying to get my nook books onto my MAC desktop, so I could bring them into Calibre. B&N doesnt use a desktop app or program for reading anymore, your book just opens in a browser page? I could not find a way to move them off my Nook. Not meaning to hijack the thread, perhaps there is a link to show me how to get B&N and KIndle content into Calibre? So far I have only used Calibre to convert non DRM books to different formats.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #22
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
going to kobo from kindle, because of jeff bezos politics which should not be discussed here.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I got hung up on trying to get my nook books onto my MAC desktop, so I could bring them into Calibre. B&N doesnt use a desktop app or program for reading anymore, your book just opens in a browser page? I could not find a way to move them off my Nook. Not meaning to hijack the thread, perhaps there is a link to show me how to get B&N and KIndle content into Calibre? So far I have only used Calibre to convert non DRM books to different formats.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I can't speak of the Nook books myself, because B&N doesn't sell their digital content internationally, only in the US. From what I've read here, it's best not to buy their ebooks at all, because they removed the download option and in many cases it's now impossible to deDRM your Nook books

As to the Kindle books, it's more problematic for Mac users. On Windows, you can just use an old version of Kindle for PC and disable the automatic updates. On the newest versions of Mac OS, you can no longer install the 32-bit apps. However, as you do have an eink Kindle, you can use the "download and transfer via USB" option on the Amazon Your content and devices page, that will give you a book file you can import to Calibre and liberate. You'll find more specific instructions on the Apprentice Alf's blog.

As an alternative, you could buy ebooks also from Kobo or Google Play. You can download your purchased epub files via Adobe Digital Editions, import to Calibre and convert to azw3 for your Kindle.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Funny,I just switched to the Kindle Paperwhite! As a previous nook user, the Kindle devices and the Kindle ecosystem are just nicer.
I use Nooks and Kindles (and Tolinos and Sonys and (older) Kobos). I think they've all got their pluses and minuses. Kindles are well-built and have a great dictionary (the same one Sonys had). My main reason for "diversifying" is that I don't want Amazon to get all my money. I like to see competitors survive. And I do like my "new" Nook Glowlight (2015).
Old 09-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #25
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
My 1st 'real' ereader was the Nook 1st edition which I got before the xmas; sortof used a palm tunsten II for reference for classes. Have done tablets ever since including a Fire HDX 8.9, still using it on occasion.
For some dumb reason got an kobo aura le which is mistake; bought an oasis 2 a couple of months back because to the hardware buttons; hw buttons are nice for us who dip into potato chips, popcorn, cookies, etc while reading.

For me, reading is reading but a huge factor is how a tablet/ereader manages the books; kobo is very lacking. The ipad sucks for reading as no decent reading app & inability to have the background/foreground behave decently, e.g. searing one's eyesight.

Haven't done B&N ever since they stopped me downloading my books; do not want to go thru any gyrations to get what I bought.

Calibre is a lifesaver in not being locked into any company; tried to donate again but I don't do paypal.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:53 AM   #26
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I started way back with PDAs which were limited by display size (but color). Moved to E Ink for bigger display size for a few years but got sick of the poor display technology and moved to the tablets that had come along in the meantime.

Regarding readability of text size one can read considerably smaller text on LCD and OLED displays compared to E Ink because of their very much higher contrast ratios. Typically a LCD phone or tablet display will have a contrast ratio around 100 to 200 times that of E Ink displays and the contrast ratio of AMOLED, for example, is effectively infinite. Contrast ratio is similar to dynamic range, so the ability to differentiate, for example, black against a white background. This is one reason why, for example, E Ink is poor at grey scale too and, as can be seen from many posts in these forums, also why people find fonts in ebooks often not dense or distinctive enough (that is a problem I have observed with E Ink but have never found it so with LCD or AMOLED).

Personally, for reading, I see a very noticeable increase in readability of text for LCD over E Ink, but not so much as between LCD and AMOLED - I have never been able to justify the increased cost of AMOLED just for reading at night.

For high quality video (getting off topic, and something E Ink is incompetent at, but to demonstrate an effect of increased contrast ratio) AMOLED is noticeably better than LCD because of AMOLED's higher contrast ratio. Moving that into TVs, LCD TVs have high contrast ratios (typically higher than a LCD computer monitor, so that is one reason why movies look better on a TV than a monitor) and xOLEDs much higher again and are noticeably better than LCD.
I use 1440x2450or something but current AMOLED displays have worse subpixels and less resolution than LCDs. They have about 66% of the pixels a real LCD has with RGB, it uses pentile. The only reason I use it is to dim the display, when microLCD comes out, I won't care anymore. https://www.oled-info.com/pentile I hate how the screen flashes too. You can get a really cheap used phone that has a blacklisted sim or something with OLED if you feel that LCD is that much more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I could read comfortably the text shown on the e-ink screen on the right in the OP's photo but the text on the device on the left looks microscopic. ��
It distance from you. I can still read it, but I hold it closer to my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
There was a time when I set my screens to tiny fonts, and I coded using dense code structure with minimal white space ... but those days are long gone. Now, give me a 7" to 8" e-ink screen for reading (and a 27" screen for coding! ) with plenty of adjustment so I can increase line spacing where needed (and I finally code according to standard rather than the tastes of a young man with excellent vision ... I do miss having excellent vision ).
Consider getting laser surgery!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I totally missed the image...

The iPhone SE example lost quotation indents and spaces. The eInk device looks more like a paper book. There's no question which I would rather use (especially at the tiny font setting on the iPhone).
That isn't an iPhone, not sure what makes it look like an iPhone, its missing the home button and its got a bottom speaker grill and AMOLED. You hold it closer to your face, its certainly not as easy to see in that picture because they are both equally far away.

Quote:
I go for DRM free, the DRM books I have just stay stuck on my kindle and aren't as portable.

Quote:
Funny,I just switched to the Kindle Paperwhite! As a previous nook user, the Kindle devices and the Kindle ecosystem are just nicer. Yeah, I miss page turn buttons, but syncing my borrowed books across multiple devices makes up for that, and I can get the buttons back if I upgrade. I read threads like this because I wonder what other revelations and new opportunities await, before I have too many ebooks on one particular system. Then again, perhaps I will just end up with multiple devices, and my collection spread among them.
You can do the same with dropbox if you use moonreader+. or just use the kindle app on multiple devices. Even syncs pages for you with dropbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
going to kobo from kindle, because of jeff bezos politics which should not be discussed here.
off topic I wish I liked the kindle more, cause of blue origin, not politics related but did you see what hes doing? Hes gonna build a moon base in our lifetimes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
My 1st 'real' ereader was the Nook 1st edition which I got before the xmas; sortof used a palm tunsten II for reference for classes. Have done tablets ever since including a Fire HDX 8.9, still using it on occasion.
For some dumb reason got an kobo aura le which is mistake; bought an oasis 2 a couple of months back because to the hardware buttons; hw buttons are nice for us who dip into potato chips, popcorn, cookies, etc while reading.

For me, reading is reading but a huge factor is how a tablet/ereader manages the books; kobo is very lacking. The ipad sucks for reading as no decent reading app & inability to have the background/foreground behave decently, e.g. searing one's eyesight.

Haven't done B&N ever since they stopped me downloading my books; do not want to go thru any gyrations to get what I bought.

Calibre is a lifesaver in not being locked into any company; tried to donate again but I don't do paypal.
Android does much better with customization. Do you use night mode on your iPad? It helps a lot. I would use a tablet to read, but a phone has higher resolution, is cheaper, and has much better specs, you can find a way cheaper phone with great specs rather than a tablet.

To no one in particular:

Since I read more academy texts (non pleasure reading) pdfs work much better for me, I can search up concepts in the paper or book I am reading with google or something (browser is terrible on amazon), and of course I can use different apps so I never feel as crippled as I felt on kindle even with a jailbreak. I can't believe that amazon imprisoned me for so long, I feel like I was fooled into believing that a kindle was the best way to read. It is not for me, I will never use eink anymore, clearink maybe but no more eink, I gave away my kindle pw because I no longer use it. Even that future is dubious since microLED should beat AMOLED, my favorite currently. I was worried about not being able to read in the sun, but I don't read in the sun, I am always having non reading fun in the sun, I never read in the sun.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 09-16-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:14 AM   #27
Catnipped
Catnipped began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I only recently switched to e-ink, and use a rather larger font than yours - I can't even read the text on that black screen! Readability is the most important factor to me, and nothing yet surpasses an e-ink device for my eyes.
Catnipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:43 AM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
That isn't an iPhone, not sure what makes it look like an iPhone, its missing the home button and its got a bottom speaker grill and AMOLED. You hold it closer to your face, its certainly not as easy to see in that picture because they are both equally far away.
Okay. It didn't look like an iPhone to me either, but I thought that's what the caption said it was. At any rate, what possible advantage would there be to making fonts extremely small and holding the device (whatever it is) uncomfortably close to my face? Just for the "challenge" of doing it? But it's not really a problem for me seeing the fonts (I can still see small fonts), it's a matter of not wanting this to do this. You end up with long lines of dense text on the LCD/AMOLED screen (pictured), it's a lot easier to read on a 6" eInk screen using "normal" sized fonts and line spacing. ("Normal" for me, everyone has different preferences.)
Old 09-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #29
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Okay. It didn't look like an iPhone to me either, but I thought that's what the caption said it was. At any rate, what possible advantage would there be to making fonts extremely small and holding the device (whatever it is) uncomfortably close to my face? Just for the "challenge" of doing it? But it's not really a problem for me seeing the fonts (I can still see small fonts), it's a matter of not wanting this to do this. You end up with long lines of dense text on the LCD/AMOLED screen (pictured), it's a lot easier to read on a 6" eInk screen using "normal" sized fonts and line spacing. ("Normal" for me, everyone has different preferences.)
How close is uncomfortable to you? I'm holding it 8 in our so like a normal phone must of the time. Moon reader also can change the font on the go. I use an SE and I found never conformably use it to read long form. I have an SE and this is the brightness compared and the screen using red font. It's the most comfortable size for me. https://ibb.co/mRf2Mcn
https://ibb.co/M5DjRqH I'm not trying to challenge myself to read small fonts, I just like reading chapters in 3 clicks versus 13. The Kindle and the phone from the first page are reading the sampe chapter. It would take me 13x more effort on that awful touchscreen rather than 1 click on a volume button on the phone. In person it looks much different.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I finally took at look at the two images and was instantly reminded of how subjective the "ideal" reading experience is. The black screen and microfiche sized font on the left is pretty much my idea of a criminally nightmarish experience you couldn't pay me to endure, even if the alternative was 130 clicks to 3.
I have an almost pathological aversion to white text on black anyway, so the OLED has zero appeal, and since I seldom hold my reader at all, touching the screen is not "awful" for me. An unintended side effect of the experiment may have been another reason for me to resist the urge to buy a Libra just for the buttons (which I might not even like) and stick with my very satisfactory H2O2. Vive la différence
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote