Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #31
brent63
Zealot
brent63 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab E nook
112a81a0a818e688817e20643da9a3d92265f89243fa312f7e 9e719ccb9443f9,C:\Users\Brent\Downloads\Sigil-0.9.11-Windows-x64-Setup.exe

36d083b6cd64937cb822c4c6e15f7255d49f4a7071b48a3e5a 729276a40e1aed,C:\Users\Brent\Downloads\Sigil-0.9.12-Windows-x64-Setup.exe

6a4823e1da64dd0e286bf61805b01de54ccc8c8b4bb5987ce8 3c3965991d2220,C:\Users\Brent\Downloads\Sigil-0.9.12-Windows-x64-Setup (1).exe

Yes mend is set for both open and close. I also manually mend the files when switching from book view to code view. I find it easier to type in book view.

I have 30 image files attached to the overall file, the largest image file is the cover at 584.28kb all other files are less then 70kb each.
brent63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Only the following one matches the current Sigil release:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent63 View Post
6a4823e1da64dd0e286bf61805b01de54ccc8c8b4bb5987ce8 3c3965991d2220,C:\Users\Brent\Downloads\Sigil-0.9.12-Windows-x64-Setup (1).exe
So please delete the others and make sure the one listed above is the one you are installing from.

Please disable any Virus Protection temporarily while installing a fresh copy, then re-enable it.

Quote:
Yes mend is set for both open and close. I also manually mend the files when switching from book view to code view. I find it easier to type in book view.

I have 30 image files attached to the overall file, the largest image file is the cover at 584.28kb all other files are less then 70kb each.
Nothing there is large enough to slow down Sigil, so something is definitely funny.

After reinstalling Sigil from the correct release installer as described above, if you are still seeing the problem, we can try temporarily renaming the sigil.ini preferences to make sure nothing in the preferences is messing Sigil up and restarting Sigil to see if that has any impact.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #33
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From calbre's website, which also uses Qt, Kovid lists a number of Windows 10 apps that seem to cause problems with calbre (and therefore most likely Sigil too). Are you by chance using/running any of the following:

The following programs have been reported to cause crashes in calibre: If you are running any of these, close them before starting calibre, or uninstall them: RoboForm, Logitech SetPoint Settings, Constant Guard Protection by Xfinity, Spybot, Killer Network Manager, Nahimic UI Interface, Acronis True Image.

Another thing to try is to reboot your Windows box into safe mode, and try running Sigil to make sure Sigil is not clashing with Windows extensions, some of which are written using incompatible versions of Qt.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #34
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I'm also seeing drastic slowdowns when performing F&R functions. It reminds me of when there is one large file before I split it into smaller pages. I'm currently working on one with 35 files, the largest being 42.25KB. I sometimes get the "Not Responding" message, sometimes the screen "greys out" temporarily. It's like it is doing multiple iterations of a search over and over again in a redundant and repetitive manner....

I'm using the Windows-64 setup file downloaded from here.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #35
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
A different issue...which is most likely a QT problem... The preview pane no longer properly constrains an SVG wrapped image.

The below code normally centers the image in the window and maximizes the image while keeping the proper aspect ratio. It no worky anymore...:
Code:

<div style="margin:0; padding:0">
    <svg 
		xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" 
		height="100%" width="100%" 
		preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" 
		viewBox="0 0 885 1416" 
		xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
        <image width="885" height="1416" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg"/>
    </svg>
  </div>

...and by no worky I mean it seems to clip the image when I adjust the dimensions of the undocked preview pane.

Last edited by Turtle91; 02-23-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #36
KevinH
Sigil Developer

What is the zoom bar set to at the bottom of the Sigil main window? Is your Sigil Preview window docked? If so the zoom bar should impact it. Is there a horizontal scroll bar under the Preview Window?

Last edited by KevinH; 02-23-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:06 PM   #37
KevinH
Sigil Developer

As for F&R slowdowns, I can not recreate this at all on macOS no matter how I search. Can you recreate this using the latest Sigil Users Guide (see gitub Sigil/docs) and any particular F&R? If so, please let me know the search strings and settings. I should then be able to try the same F&R on the same doc to try to recreate what you are seeing.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:09 AM   #38
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I am also seeing drastic slowdowns in F&R (Windows 8.1 64-bit Sigil), but usually only after I've been working for a while. Sometimes if I close Sigil and reopen it, it's a little better, but it doesn't take long before it starts up again. I haven't been able to narrow down a set of repeatable steps yet, and I'll be out of town for the next week, so I won't have time to spend on it, but I wanted to let you know that it's happening to me, too.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:13 AM   #39
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@brent63, Turtle91, icallaci - long shot, Windows 10 Pro 1809

I had something similar recently with a video editor I use quite a lot. It became very sluggish - to the point of not being usuable, with frequent Not Responding 'things' at top right of its window.

When I ran Task Manager I discovered the Bluetooth Support Service host module was jumping up about every 20 seconds and hogging one of the CPU cores for about 5 seconds.

I turned Bluetooth off in Settings, and as expected it stopped doing that and the video editor stopped wedging. So, I turned it back on, after a minute or two it jumped up grabbed the processor for a few seconds but here's the rub - it has been quiet ever since.

It seemed to have got itself into a state where it was retrying something over, and over, and over . . . ad infinitum. All my Bluetooth connections are working, and my video editor is back to normal.

I have a suspicion is was the 1809 upgrade, which I only got a couple of weeks ago - my choice, my upgrade schedule is Corporate + 60 days.

So have a look in Task Manager to see if anything is jumping up and intermittently hogging some or all of the CPU.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've not yet been able to reproduce any huge performance dips on Win 10 or Win 7 (when searching or otherwise), but I can verify that Preview is not displaying SVG wrapped images the same way older versions of Sigil did. The aspect ratio is being preserved but the viewport doesn't seem to be adjusted to display the full whole image height. When docked, you can scroll (this was unnecessary in previous versions). When undocked there is no vertical scrollbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
A different issue...which is most likely a QT problem... The preview pane no longer properly constrains an SVG wrapped image.

The below code normally centers the image in the window and maximizes the image while keeping the proper aspect ratio. It no worky anymore...:
Code:

<div style="margin:0; padding:0">
    <svg 
		xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" 
		height="100%" width="100%" 
		preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" 
		viewBox="0 0 885 1416" 
		xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
        <image width="885" height="1416" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg"/>
    </svg>
  </div>

...and by no worky I mean it seems to clip the image when I adjust the dimensions of the undocked preview pane.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #41
KevinH
Sigil Developer

People seeing these dratic slowdowns on Windows, please follow BetterRed's idea of using the Task Manger to see what else is taking up cpu when this sluggishness occurs and report back.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 02-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer

This is the same svg as the cover image in Sigil's user's guide, right? I have a large screen iMac that I normally use and so I keep the Preview window docked on the right. The full cover is shown and if I then reduce the Preview pane size, it zooms out to still show the cover image. If Ithen adjust the zoom bar, I can get itto show just part of the cover. This works the same on Sigil-0.9.10 under Qt 5.6 too.

So is this only an issue with undocked preview windows?

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've not yet been able to reproduce any huge performance dips on Win 10 or Win 7 (when searching or otherwise), but I can verify that Preview is not displaying SVG wrapped images the same way older versions of Sigil did. The aspect ratio is being preserved but the viewport doesn't seem to be adjusted to display the full whole image height. When docked, you can scroll (this was unnecessary in previous versions). When undocked there is no vertical scrollbar.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So is this only an issue with undocked preview windows?
No. Even docked, I'm seeing different behavior than with older versions of Sigil (Qt5.6). Before with that same code, the entire image would scale to fill the Preview window (docked or undocked). Now, it fills the Preview window horizontally, but it runs out of the viewport vertically. While docked there's a vertical scrollbar, when undocked, there's not.

I'm seeing this on Linux and Windows.

It sounds as if it's still working the way it always did for you on the Mac.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-24-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #44
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If I make the preview pane small enough it will not zoom enough and then it moves to be just like you just said. I wonder how I get it back to "almost" working again. This is most likely an annulen qt 5.212 change so we should look there for bug reports or patches.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
This is most likely an annulen qt 5.212 change so we should look there for bug reports or patches.
That's what I was thinking.

And you're right, Once I shrink it down small enough, the image rescales both horizontally and vertically as I get smaller. But once I get to a certain width (when expanding), it will stop scaling vertically. Strike that: it's still scaling properly both horizontally and vertically, it's just that the viewport seems to stop being adjusted vertically at some point, so not all of the image is being seen.

It all works for me until the vertical scrollbar appears.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-24-2019 at 12:02 PM.