Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2020, 01:47 AM   #16
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine T View Post
My daughter is now struggling with the same problem and really wants to keep the DX working.
Have you updated the firmware to the latest version? Yes, the latest version is 2.5.8, but Amazon manages "Kindle Service Update". I am not sure, but it seemed that Amazon will update "Kindle Service Update" whenever Amazon updates their security parameter.
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #17
minigendo
minigendo is generous with chocolateminigendo is generous with chocolateminigendo is generous with chocolateminigendo is generous with chocolateminigendo is generous with chocolateminigendo is generous with chocolateminigendo is generous with chocolateminigendo is generous with chocolateminigendo is generous with chocolateminigendo is generous with chocolateminigendo is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 2
In the past few days there's been evidence that they may have fixed the time server that's been at the root of the recent Kindle 2 / DX thinks it's 1970 and won't register / synch issues.

If you're only the latest firmware, and have installed the Kindle Services update, it might be worth while to switch on the 3G again and see if the problem has resolved for you.
minigendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #18
Elaine T
Enthusiast
Elaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolate

Device: kindle paperwhite
I pass this on to the daughter. She is skeptical, but figures what the heck...

And.... Connection! Success! Time set properly! Device re-registered itself. Hooray!
Elaine T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #19
Elaine T
Enthusiast
Elaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolate

Device: kindle paperwhite
Reporting again, daughter had 2 kindle dxs that had the problem. The main one was fixed when Amazon fixed the server and minigendo says. The backup device was not. So we grumbled, considered doing the jailbreak etc., and daughter was nervous. Last night she tried reformating the Kindle's drive, with the 'set back to device defaults' option clicked. (that's how it is in windows 7, no idea about other windows versions.) Said it had worked to fix a similar problem on a different old Kindle. once that finished she tried registering and it worked and the device is behaving perfectly now.
Elaine T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #20
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKuns View Post
Have you updated the firmware to the latest version? Yes, the latest version is 2.5.8, but Amazon manages "Kindle Service Update". I am not sure, but it seemed that Amazon will update "Kindle Service Update" whenever Amazon updates their security parameter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minigendo View Post
In the past few days there's been evidence that they may have fixed the time server that's been at the root of the recent Kindle 2 / DX thinks it's 1970 and won't register / synch issues.

If you're only the latest firmware, and have installed the Kindle Services update, it might be worth while to switch on the 3G again and see if the problem has resolved for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine T View Post
I pass this on to the daughter. She is skeptical, but figures what the heck...

And.... Connection! Success! Time set properly! Device re-registered itself. Hooray!
Holy cow! I had been on 2.5.8, but installing the latest Services Update fixed my 3G! Experimental web browser works now, but more importantly, Amazon sends me books and documents again. I had given up on 3G, considered my DX a sideloading-everything device.

Thank you so much.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #21
cassano1
cassano1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Dear Wincel,
I am a Kindle DX user and I cannot get my "new" one to register. I see your thread response here but what does Jailbreak mean?
Thank you
cassano1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #22
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassano1 View Post
Dear Wincel,
I am a Kindle DX user and I cannot get my "new" one to register. I see your thread response here but what does Jailbreak mean?
Thank you
From where did you buy this Kindle DX? If you bought it from someone you don't know, it's possible the Kindle has been blacklisted by Amazon because the original owner reported it lost or stolen.

If that is the case, you won't be able to register it with Amazon.

It's also possible the firmware is very out of date, and won't work correctly until the firmware is correctly updated.

The DX is a very old model, it was released in 2010, and it runs 2.5.8 It also doesn't use WiFi, and only connects to Amazon via 3G cell towers, which are becoming more spotty as cell companies drop support for 3G.

There were 2 versions of the DX, one used Sprint and was US only, and the DXG that uses AT&T.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #23
cassano1

Thank you for responding, Deskiasamess.
So...I have the original white Kindle DX from 2009 (B004). I have used it religiously for a decade and have over 1000 books on it. I love it. The toggle/joystick button was half gone, my next page button was on its way out, but I loved it and used it every night... In JUNE of 2020 I realized that it would not last much longer so I decided to buy another one directly from Amazon. I ordered it but it did not get delivered until August. It's a B009 I kept it in the box until I dropped my old one and my screen went dark. That was two weeks ago. Since then I have called Amazon three times because I cannot register the new black one. The first time the rep wanted me to buy the Oasis and she said I could return the B009 for a full refund. I WAS UNWILLING to give up so easily. Why can my B004 work beautifully (albeit I cannot read it at all but if I squint really hard it's working fine) and my "new" B009 cannot register? I called my cell phone provider and Verizon says I do not have 3G any more. Ok, but why is my old DX working perfectly????? I check the 411 on both. The older B004 is FOUND, but the younger B009 is MISSING. Amazon is supposed to call me back in "a few days." While I wait I research...can you help me?
Old 10-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #24
cassano1

By the way, the date is 1970 and the Amazon tech discovered that with the @time prompt...still waiting to hear from the supervisor/expert...
Old 10-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #25
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
It most likely needs to be updated. Look here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...1678000&sr=1-2

Until it is running the most current update, it won't connect to the cell towers. AT&T cell towers, not Verizon. Make sure to check your serial number so you download the correct update file. You download the file on your computer, then transfer the .bin to the root directory of the Kindle, then run the update from the Settings on the Kindle itself.

If you post again, please add some paragraphs breaks. It's hard to read a wall-o-words. Good luck.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #26
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassano1 View Post
Thank you for responding, Deskiasamess.
So...I have the original white Kindle DX from 2009 (B004). I have used it religiously for a decade and have over 1000 books on it. I love it. The toggle/joystick button was half gone, my next page button was on its way out, but I loved it and used it every night... In JUNE of 2020 I realized that it would not last much longer so I decided to buy another one directly from Amazon. I ordered it but it did not get delivered until August. It's a B009 I kept it in the box until I dropped my old one and my screen went dark. That was two weeks ago. Since then I have called Amazon three times because I cannot register the new black one. The first time the rep wanted me to buy the Oasis and she said I could return the B009 for a full refund. I WAS UNWILLING to give up so easily. Why can my B004 work beautifully (albeit I cannot read it at all but if I squint really hard it's working fine) and my "new" B009 cannot register? I called my cell phone provider and Verizon says I do not have 3G any more. Ok, but why is my old DX working perfectly????? I check the 411 on both. The older B004 is FOUND, but the younger B009 is MISSING. Amazon is supposed to call me back in "a few days." While I wait I research...can you help me?
See:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
to map kindle serial numbers to models.

The B004 is an original DX, which I think uses Sprint for cellular service.

The B009 is a DX Grphite, which certainly uses AT&T for cellular service.

No kindle model uses Verizon for cellular service.

Deskisamess is correct that some years ago all older kindles required a security update to continue connecting to amazon.

So you need to try 411 someplace with known AT&T 3G coverage and very likely need to update the firmware.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also it can take up to a day for time & date to correct from the Network. It won't register till the date is correct.
At least true on my B009 DXG (3G only) and B008 Kindle Keyboard (WiFi only).
You do also need the last version software and the additional Service update.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote