Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
jkoppe
jkoppe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Fire
Question re: AZW3 covers on Kindle Fire...

Hello fellow ebookers,

I've been tinkering with calibre conversions for my first time today and I've come across a question. I'm not certain whether this should go here or in the Kindle forum but here goes....

I've taken a public domain document, copied it into Libreoffice Writer to do some clean up and generated a field based TOC. Then using Gimp, I created a *.png graphic to use as a cover. I found that calibre will import ODT files (the format used by Libreoffice). Using calibre, I then edited the metadata and imported the graphic to use as a cover, then converted the book to AZW3, and finally Send to Device | Send specific format to | Main Memory to send the AZW3 file to the Kindle Fire which is connected to the computer via its USB cord. Oh, I'm using OpenSuse Linux on the computer, though I doubt that would have any affect on anything.

Here's what has me puzzled: The custom cover I created shows up when I go to Books on the Kindle, but it does not show up on the Carousel with other recently viewed books. Instead of my custom cover, I see a smaller generic cover which simply says "kindle" and has the percentage read on it. But if I use the generic cover generated in calibre, it appropriately shows up in the Carousel and in Books. Am I missing something in the metadata or in the conversion?

Any suggestions would be apprciated.

--jeff
jkoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....droid-ipad-etc
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
jkoppe
jkoppe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Fire
Thank you, Kovid. Reading through the faqs gave me several tips. However, when I opened up my Kindle this morning... the problem no longer existed and the book showed up in the carousel just fine. So I'm guessing it was the indexing process that Kindle uses that finally picked it up. I secretly suspected it was more of a Kindle issue rather than a calibre conversion issue.

By golly, as I read up on all the different ebook formats, DRMs and device differences, it reminds me of the 'Browser Wars' of the 1990s! Ah, fond memories (NOT!).

--jeff
jkoppe is offline   Reply With Quote