Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 AM   #1
midnightmaze
midnightmaze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Windows Calibre - normal Windows vs 64bit Windows

Hi Calibre Team or any other wise people.

I have been using Windows Calibre on my computer for a couple of years, instead of 64bit version (which my computer apparently is).

Will there be any issues with my Library etc. if I change to the 64bit Windows version with the next update?
Are there any benefits to this?

Appreciate any advice before I do the deed.
midnightmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@midnightmaze- AFAIK the only significant benefit of 64bit is converting very large books (eg KJV Bible etc), you also need a lot of memory to do that.

If 32bit is working for you I would leave it alone, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you really think you must have the 64bit version, then you can install it 'alongside' the 32bit version and it will use the existing libraries and configuration settings. You'll end up with a Calibre2 folder in the Programs Files and the Program Files (x86) folders. If you keep desktop shortcuts you'll have 2 of them for calibre, I'd suggest you rename the existing one "Calibre 32 bit.lnk" before installing the 64 bit.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Also, keep in mind, even if the computer has a 64-bit CPU, you will also need a 64-bit Windows version. Right-click on "My Computer", and select "Properties"; the information there will tell you if you are running a 64-bit Windows version.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There'll be no benefit unless your computer has more than 4GB RAM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:46 AM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I am on 64 bit Windows 7 and use the 64 bit Calibre, and it works fine. Although there are no immediately obvious benefits, I also do not see any obvious pitfalls so you might as well use it, it is what it is there for.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The largest benefit is being able to convert huge books, such as the Delphi classics, if you use 64-bit Calibre and have 8GB RAM or more. The same is true if you convert 3-4 large books at the same time. I often see Calibre easily hit 6-7 GB RAM usage.

Under Calibre 32-bit, the program can't use more than 2GB in total. I don't know what happens if there isn't enough memory to complete a conversion. It might be aborted; Calibre could also possibly crash.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-30-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The largest benefit is being able to convert huge books, such as the Delphi classics, if you use 64-bit Calibre and have 8GB RAM or more. Three same is true if you convert 3-4 large books at the save time. I often see Calibre easily hit 6-7 GB RAM usage.

Under Calibre 32-bit, the program can't use more than 2GB in total. I don't know what happens if there isn't enough memory to complete a conversion. It might be aborted; Calibre could also possibly crash.
Yes, I have a couple of Delphi collections that I'm unable to convert on my current laptop with 4GB RAM. I'm planning to replace my laptop by one with 16GB RAM shortly, which should allow me to convert them using 64-bit Calibre.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

(Durned spelling 'corrector' on my tablet....)
Old 05-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What happens, by the way, is that it just grinds away for about an hour, and then comes back with a message saying "Unable to Convert" .

Tags
windows calibre 64bit