Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #33391
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Last night I took my last sleeping pill, right now I'm nervous about the coming night. Just in case I got the cough syrup with codeine in it. The sleeping pills did a great job, though it make me wake up each night with a very full bladder. It was hard to get to the toilet without bumping into anything on the way and then not to doze off on the toilet. The last couple of days I also suffered from some muscle weakness, especially in my knees, which made going up and down the stairs difficult.

As a very light sleeper I hardly ever have slept this well. When I sleep deep I usually wake up more tired than when I went to sleep. I need to look into achieving such a good night's sleep without the aid of sleeping pills.
Have you ever tried any of the herbal-type substances? The usual, melatonin or tryptophan? I found that Tryptophan was very helpful, ages ago; there was some debacle over it but the forms available now are largely safe. Melatonin; zoiks, I won't allow myself to run out of it.

I'm personally not big on sleeping pills, for the reasons you mention, but like you, when I do take something that allows/makes me sleep through the night (a rare thing) I have the same challenges when I wake. Nothing like walking up, all snug in a featherbed, cozy in your down blankies, pillows, etc.--and realizing that your bladder feels like you're going to explode. :-(

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #33392
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Of late I've been trying a 20lb weighted blanket. While I still have some challenges falling asleep I do seem to be getting a better quality of sleep. Fitbit sleep scores have gone from the 50 to 60 range to bring in the low 80s.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #33393
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Of late I've been trying a 20lb weighted blanket. While I still have some challenges falling asleep I do seem to be getting a better quality of sleep. Fitbit sleep scores have gone from the 50 to 60 range to bring in the low 80s.
Peter:

Which kind do you have? Some of the weighted blankets I've looked at seem to have weights in the outer edges and so the weight shifts and isn't 'on' the person, but at the outer edges. I've been looking for one, but most of those I've seen seem to have this issue with the shifting weights.

Hitch
Old 02-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #33394
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Last night I took my last sleeping pill, right now I'm nervous about the coming night. Just in case I got the cough syrup with codeine in it. The sleeping pills did a great job, though it make me wake up each night with a very full bladder. It was hard to get to the toilet without bumping into anything on the way and then not to doze off on the toilet. The last couple of days I also suffered from some muscle weakness, especially in my knees, which made going up and down the stairs difficult.

As a very light sleeper I hardly ever have slept this well. When I sleep deep I usually wake up more tired than when I went to sleep. I need to look into achieving such a good night's sleep without the aid of sleeping pills.
You might try sub-lingual CBD oil. No hangover the next day, but I find it quite helpful. Start with a fairly low dose until you're sure what your comfort level is, and how much you need to do the job. And remember, even though sub-lingual is fairly quick, it's not at all the same as smoking or vaping, which are nearly immediate. (But not an option for an asthmatic!) So don't think nothing happened and start adding additional doses. Something on the order of 10-15 mg of active CBD is where I ended up. But start well below that until you're sure how you react.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #33395
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Peter:

Which kind do you have? Some of the weighted blankets I've looked at seem to have weights in the outer edges and so the weight shifts and isn't 'on' the person, but at the outer edges. I've been looking for one, but most of those I've seen seem to have this issue with the shifting weights.

Hitch
I bought a Hush blanket direct from their website. https://hushblankets.ca

They do seem more expensive than some but I was impressed by their charitable side.

One afternoon a white panel Van pulled into the parking lot at work and unloaded a large number of heavy boxes. It turned out to be more than 20 Hush blankets being donated to the Community Health agency I work for. Apparently they give 1 blanket away for every 10 they sell.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #33396
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As a very young child I seem to remember crawling under a braided rug of some kind that was heavy but not much stiffer than a blanket. I suppose they probably don't make them like that any more...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #33397
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I bought a weighted throw blanket to test out the experience. I love the feeling of it, but I usually can't keep in on very long without getting too warm.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:29 AM   #33398
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The only weighted blankets I ever came across were the ones you use when blowing stumps out with gelignite. That was back when you could buy your 'gelly' at the store where you bought your hats and your grader blades :lol:

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #33399
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I bought a weighted throw blanket to test out the experience. I love the feeling of it, but I usually can't keep in on very long without getting too warm.
Yes, that's my concern. I've been under weighted blankets at spas, for this or that and they're lovely and relaxing, but I'd the the Hotflash Hootie pretty quickly, in my neck of the woods, at night, trying to sleep where the absolute coolest our bedroom ever gets is 71-72F. And quite a bit warmer than that in the summer, obviously, where it's typically 77F in the middle of the night.

Hitch
Old 02-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #33400
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
So far so good. On Saturday I had a low level itchy throat during the day, not enough to cough much. At night that disappeared and I had a good night's sleep. Yesterday during the day no problems but when I went to bed, when I was almost asleep my throat got itchy, like Saturday. I just couldn't fall asleep, afraid I would wake up coughing. I did take some syrup and it worked, I should have taken it a lot earlier. Hopefully it keeps working and not just a couple of times. Today was okay, tonight my throat was a bit sore, hopefully it won't turn nasty again.

Natural sleeping aids: there's been a lot to do about melatonin in the media lately, that it isn't good. I will look into others, like CBD.

Weighted blanket: I know it will work; in winter, when I have a heavier duvet, I sleep better. But they're expensive, not that easy to get in the Netherlands and I'm also afraid I get too hot, I need a cool bedroom and a blanket/duvet that isn't too warm to sleep well.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #33401
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
How come, when I reveal my accomplishments, people ask the world of me? Law 32... Their little plans and designs. They want me to assist them with their little plans and designs. And they make it seem urgent.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #33402
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
How come, when I reveal my accomplishments, people ask the world of me? Law 32... Their little plans and designs. They want me to assist them with their little plans and designs. And they make it seem urgent.
Pretend you're a loser slacker. Just think how amazed and astounded they'll be, when you can reveal your triumphs later? AFTER you haven't done their stuff. ;-) Remember, never, never, work for friends or family; it never pans out.

Hitch
Old 02-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #33403
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Remember, never, never, work for friends or family; it never pans out.
Or sell/buy/loan anything to them. I've given things to family, but won't sell or loan anything.

12 years ago, when our first grandchild was on the way, a family member had a garage sale. She had a very basic highchair for sale for $5. She accepted my $5, even after I had gone to help out with the sale and had spent all day there.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #33404
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Or sell/buy/loan anything to them. I've given things to family, but won't sell or loan anything.

12 years ago, when our first grandchild was on the way, a family member had a garage sale. She had a very basic highchair for sale for $5. She accepted my $5, even after I had gone to help out with the sale and had spent all day there.
Exactly, right? It's AMAZING.

In our family, non-family members always think that our family "rules" sound mean or whatever, but we've had family-owned businesses for generations and trust me, it's far, far better to have rules than to deal with hurt feelings, grudges and the like.

Hitch
Old 02-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #33405
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Thank you for your advice. I'm trying to be as honest as possible now--that I don't have time to assist them with their endeavors. I have to work on myself; I have to heal first (and who knows how long that'll take.) Then I could consider helping them a little, here and there.

Thank goodness I'm reading The 48 Laws of Power; it helps me see how others... manipulative others see the world and it's people, especially people like me.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness