Notices

Old 05-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Replacing 500 with 505?

Hello,

I'm pretty happy with my Sony Reader model 500 - but now that the USD is that low and a lot of people write that the display of the 505 is a lot better than that the one of the 500 I'm thinking about selling my 500 and buying a 505.

So my question is: Is the display really that better that its worth to replace the 500? What annoys me a bit about the 500 is that you need a lot of ambient light to be able to read it - is that really better with the 505?

Greetings,

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I have seen the 505 in a store (long before I knew I needed to know which patterson excerpt was on it, or I would have taken notes!) and while the display is somewhat better than on my 500, I didn't feel I needed to sell my 500 and buy the 505.

I can't think that you would be able to read the 505 in any lighting situations you can't read your 500 in.

the change in form factor and the ability to go to a specific page using the number buttons and the movement of the page turning buttons to the right side of the unit, those are improvements I would enjoy but not enough to spend all that much money until my 500 breaks or dies.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Fabian, I agree with David. I was seriously considering a 500 back last summer but ended up not getting a gift certificate to the store that had the Sony in stock (Micro Center) so I held off. Then, after Christmas bought the 505 and, as David says, the new features are nice. But the screen doesn't seem that much better. Certainly it requires the same ambient light to read.

If you're unsure, try taking your 500 into a store that has the 505 on display (Borders, Sony Style etc) and compare them side-by-side. Probably ought to tell the management what you're going to do ahead of time.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
um.. tapf is in Germany. So I don't think going into a Borders or Sonystyle will help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I would wait until your 500 dies, the 505 needs as much ambient light to read as does the 500 in my opinion
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I would wait until your 500 dies, the 505 needs as much ambient light to read as does the 500 in my opinion
To offer an alternate viewpoint, I find the VizPlex screens are drastically better than the 1st gen screens. Better contrast, and tremendously more readable in lower light conditions.

I always had to use a reading light with my PRS-500 when reading indoors in the evening. With my Gen3 (which has the same screen as the PRS-505) I can read quite comfortably in the room's ambient lighting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To offer an alternate viewpoint, I find the VizPlex screens are drastically better than the 1st gen screens. Better contrast, and tremendously more readable in lower light conditions.

I always had to use a reading light with my PRS-500 when reading indoors in the evening. With my Gen3 (which has the same screen as the PRS-505) I can read quite comfortably in the room's ambient lighting.
I am 100% with Harry_T on this one.
I don't care about a couple of nice bells and whistles on 505 in comparison to 500 but the screen! Just as Harry_T said - drastically better.

For example: office room in my house. Could not read on 500 there. However, I do read on 505 there.

(You will not notice so much difference with the sun shining out there but you will see a hude difference with ambient light.)

Last edited by astra; 05-05-2008 at 06:54 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I would also advise you on reading through this topic
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
um.. tapf is in Germany. So I don't think going into a Borders or Sonystyle will help.
Ooops

tapf, entschuldigen Sie bitte
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote