Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
Ptitprince
Ptitprince began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Lightbulb adaptation of calibre for blind people

Hello Kovid,

I receive today e-mail of a blind person who asks to me whether it would be possible to adapt calibre for their specific handicap.
Perhaps does there exist already solutions to be proposed to these people?

Here a translated copy from french of this e-mail:

Quote:
Hello,
By this e-mail I see that you seem to be able to communicate with the author of calibre… Could you then announce to him that this software which however appears excellent is completely inaccessible to equipment of adaptation for blinds (such JAWS of freedom scientific or NVDA) even if some shortcuts keyboard can sometimes make accept an accessibility which appears with the unusable use in fact.
I spent much time personally helped by a friend of this list to try to use them without practically any success.
This is strong damage because the ebooks are now for the blinds one of the best sources of possible reading, and they have like you problems of ranking, conversion, renaming, etc
I thank you by advance

Bernard
Regards

Ptitprince
Ptitprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Qt (the graphics toolkit calibre uses) does not support accessibility. Well, to be precise, it does have accessibility plugins, but they cause random program crashes. So making calibre compatible with screen readers is not practical.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Rich_Morin
Rich_Morin began at the beginning.

Device: none
The FAQ still advises users to disable Universal Access and VoiceOver on Macs. However, it seems possible that Qt's plugins have improved enough since 2014 that an accessible version of calibre might be possible. Could someone fill me in on the current situation, gating issues, etc?
Rich_Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've still seen crashes with accessibility enabled in Qt. But try it for yourself and see.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, blindness, calibre