Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
It looks like you originally stored your library on your Desktop. Why? I'm not sure... that said, I just created a temporary folder called "ImportantStuff", created a library there, and then tried to delete it... I get a warning that says:

All files from /home/twowheels/ImportantFolder will be permanantly deleted. Are you sure?

(bold text is used in the dialog)

In your case it would have said "C:\Documents And Settings\Uses\dz1\Desktop\" (or something like that)... looks to me like it's fair warning.

Sorry, but I think you should read dialogs more carefully in the future.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1 View Post
I'm not asking for much. Just give me other options other than using calibre. If there are no other options then just say so.
There are none.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
That, come to think of it, is sad. I like choice
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
[edited] you assumed [edited] that my calibre library was set to desktop when i pressed the button. I did previously have a library at desktop but changed it to a new location. My library was actually set to desktop/files/books/books when i pressed the button that says delete library. Yet instead of deleting that library it deletes a totally different one. There wasn't even an option shown to me by the program to delete my current library as all it showed was the word desktop. Another contributing factor is that you put books in libraries, so it is quite proper for the user to expect that when it says "delete library" then it deletes only books.
Make a mistake and then squirm trying to figure out ways to blame someone else for it.

You really imagine that you can come into a forum dedicated to a program, make insulting statements about it based on your own mistakes and then expect people on that forum to help you? Were you ever given even basic lessons in manners.

Last edited by netseeker; 05-04-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: moderation edit
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #20
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It looks like you originally stored your library on your Desktop. \Desktop\" (or something like that)... looks to me like it's fair warning.

Sorry, but I think you should read dialogs more carefully in the future.
Yes, it certainly appears to be one of those ID-TEN-T problems, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_error#ID-10-T_Error).

@dz1 : Since you mention that you've been using calibre for years, then you no doubt already know just how good it is. So quit blaming other folks, restore your library and put it down to experience.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Write one! Healthy competition is good.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #22
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Did you check the recycle bin and try to restore from there or was that deleted too.
BTW i always delete manually from Windows and double triple check .
I may try the calibre delete one of these days as it is no doubt faster.
Quote:
Another contributing factor is that you put books in libraries, so it is quite proper for the user to expect that when it says "delete library" then it deletes only books.
That is just wrong. If caibre checked each and every one of my 10,000 books and their multiple formats to ensure each was indeed a 'book', it could take it weeks
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I uncover a major flaw in your program and all you can do is hurl insults. You should be thanking me for uncovering such a major problem in your flawed program and also apologising for the damage your program has done. Instead you hurl insults like some arrogant fool.
Excuse me, please. I saw your post before it was edited by moderators. It was you that came here hurling insults.

Calibre is used daily by millions of users. It is no exaggeration. Millions.

You probably found a bug. Perhaps an old record, from time when your Desktop was set to be your library remained somewhere.

Please check this forum. Many users come here and ask for help *politely*. Usually they get an answer in a very short time. Often Kovid himself comes with an answer. Very often there is patch (in form of new version) available next Friday.

Regarding replacement.
There isn't single program that would have the same functionality as Calibre.
Some people are using software that lets you catalogue your paper books / software / movies / whatever collection. But such software doesn't manage your books or convert them to different format, or send then to device, or download book metadata and covers from net, or download and format news, or let you query your book database, or let you export books to any directory structure based on metadata.
Some users maintain elaborate directory structure with books, like I did before I started to use Calibre.
There are some programs for converting book formats, but they usually convert only from single format to another format.
For conversion of your books you can use:
- Openoffice - there is nice plugin that lets you produce epub), it can save files as pdf.
- bookdesigner
- mobipocket designer
- various on-line conversion tools
- tool made by Amazon for producing kindle books
- nice (commercial) software called Jutoh for creating epubs
- very similar open-source epub authoring tool called Sigil
- convertlit
- lit2epub (this is what I like to use on my Linux machine)
- ghoststscript
- dozens of other programs listed in our wiki
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_conversion
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_software
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_authoring_software
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/More_eBook_software

Tell us what you do with Calibre, and there might be program that does what you need to do. There is no other program that could replace complete Calibre functionality.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #24
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
You've mentioned your own unfinished app in the past as what you personally use instead of calibre. Why no release it? If you do it as open source others might be willing to contribute.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #25
dz1
dz1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
:
You really imagine that you can come into a forum dedicated to a program, make insulting statements about it based on your own mistakes and then expect people on that forum to help you? Were you ever given even basic lessons in manners.
I think it is you who is lacking in manners. You hurled insults at me only because i criticised your program. The statements i made were truthful and I am understandably angry about what your program did to my data. Hurling insults at someone who has uncovered a serious bug in your program and has had data wiped because of it does not strike me as a smart thing to do. You should be using your time and energy to fix this problem.
dz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #26
user_none

Quote:
You should be using your time and energy to fix this problem.
Looks to me like the problem is you. Kovid can only do so much... Reading comprehension in regard to a dialog that says it will delete all data on your desktop being ignored after you've said that is okay isn't in Kovid's toolbox.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think it is you who is lacking in manners. You hurled insults at me only because i criticised your program. The statements i made were truthful and I am understandably angry about what your program did to my data. Hurling insults at someone who has uncovered a serious bug in your program and has had data wiped because of it does not strike me as a smart thing to do. You should be using your time and energy to fix this problem.
Sigh, I see you are just not going to accept that you made a mistake. I'll try to explain what you did to you one last time:

1) You chose your desktop as the calibre library
2) You then created a new library
3) You asked calibre to delete your old library, which was your desktop
4) calibre then asked you the following question:

Code:
All files from C:\Users\your username\Desktop will be 
                permanently deleted. Are you sure?
5) You clicked Yes.
6) calibre deleted, as it said it would, all the files in C:\Users\your username\Desktop
7) Then you decided to throw a hissy fit, in public.

Grow up.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #28
dz1
dz1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Looks to me like the problem is you. Kovid can only do so much... Reading comprehension in regard to a dialog that says it will delete all data on your desktop being ignored after you've said that is okay isn't in Kovid's toolbox.
It would be silly to do nothing about this problem as you suggest. It is a genuine problem that should be easy enough to fix.
dz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #29
user_none

How would you fix it? Put a dialog box that informs the user what files would be deleted and have them confirm before doing so?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
How would you fix it? Put a dialog box that informs the user what files would be deleted and have them confirm before doing so?
I doubt that would help. If the OP cannot be bothered to read a single sentence, what are the chances he will scroll down a list of hundreds of files and figure out that he doesn't actually want the delete to happen?