Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
hlhp
hlhp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best way to manage book series.

I want to know is there any better way to mange book series.

I have some books in the series, some of them of many books in 1 series, others just have few or one.

If I want to browsing books, it will appear a lot of books in the same series, which make others hard to be seen.

Wondering is there a way to group the series together, or only showing 1 book of the series.
hlhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlhp View Post
I want to know is there any better way to mange book series.

I have some books in the series, some of them of many books in 1 series, others just have few or one.

If I want to browsing books, it will appear a lot of books in the same series, which make others hard to be seen.

Wondering is there a way to group the series together, or only showing 1 book of the series.
Calibre has a series view. That's what I use. (Calibre has it's own forum here)

Apple's books will also group books in one series together, as long as you buy the books from Apple and Apple recognizes them as a series.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
This. Also, Calibre will show all of the books in a series, by the same author, in order in the main library.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
hlhp

Quote:

Apple's books will also group books in one series together, as long as you buy the books from Apple and Apple recognizes them as a series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This. Also, Calibre will show all of the books in a series, by the same author, in order in the main library.
Apache
Thank you pwalker8, Apache.

I did not notice there are a caliber forum at the bottom, my bad.

Did you mean the tag browser "series" filter, which only showing list of series names?
Or a view that can show the the series in cover?
Old 12-31-2019, 04:41 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Did you mean the tag browser "series" filter, which only showing list of series names?
Both. You can also sort by author, title, series and a number of other ways.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Or the little remembered: Quickview (Q)

click on the series (Author, Publisher) name: Tap 'Q' AND PRESTO!
You can sort that view by clicking the column title
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:23 PM   #7
hlhp

Quote:
Both. You can also sort by author, title, series and a number of other ways.
thank you pwalker8

I think my question was asking ambiguously, or I can not find a way to do it.

I am able to list all different series in name in the left panel.
or show all the books(covers) in a specific series in the main panel.

But can not find a way to show all different series, but only a book(cover) for each series in the main panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Or the little remembered: Quickview (Q)

click on the series (Author, Publisher) name: Tap 'Q' AND PRESTO!
You can sort that view by clicking the column title
thank you theducks

I never know there is a quick view, it is kind of handy compare with the left panel.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:44 AM   #8
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
With the searche
Code:
series_index:"1"
I can find all books that have either no series index set or are the first in a series.

You could use that to create a virtual library. If you use the cover grid, you could add an icon to the covers of books with a series.

In the book list you could mark line with books in a series with a rule.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:46 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
With the searche
Code:
I can find all books that have either no series index set or are the first in a series.

You could use that to create a virtual library. If you use the cover grid, you could add an icon to the covers of books with a series.

In the book list you could mark line with books in a series with a rule.
Or you could change the text color for books without a series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
thank you pwalker8

I think my question was asking ambiguously, or I can not find a way to do it.

I am able to list all different series in name in the left panel.
or show all the books(covers) in a specific series in the main panel.

But can not find a way to show all different series, but only a book(cover) for each series in the main panel.

thank you theducks

I never know there is a quick view, it is kind of handy compare with the left panel.
In calibre, you can list the books in a specific series in the main panel by selecting that specific series in the left hand panel, or you can see all books that belong to any series in the main panel by clicking on the series tab or putting "series:true" in the search. Then you can sort the responses by series title, author or whatever. Sorting by series will also show the books in series order. It's very handy. I use it fairly frequently, especially when I can't quite remember which the next book in the series is.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
hlhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
With the searche
Code:
thank you Sunlite
series_index:"1"is working perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or you could change the text color for books without a series.
thank you JSWolf
I will try to experiment with it later, thanks for the advice.

Quote:
In calibre, you can list the books in a specific series...
thank you pwalker8 again
the left side filtering pancel is very powerful, it make the navigate very smooth.