Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-25-2019, 03:30 AM   #1
VincentF
VincentF began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 (PB632)
Touch HD 3 missing audio/TTS functions (CIS)

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and to forums in general, so please forgive me if this question has been asked before. I tried using the search function but didn't seem to find much.

I bought my Pocketbook Touch HD 3 on the premise that it can play audio via bluetooth, as well as do TTS. It was written all over their website, and the shop assured it can do that, as did Youtube reviews.

However, my device doesn't seem to have any of these functions. TTS, Audio Player (and mp3 support to begin with) and bluetooth settings are all missing.
What's odd is that when I installed a TTS pack, it opened Voice Synthesis settings for me, but they're nowhere to be found otherwise.

I suspect it's a localisation issue.

Software version is: U632.5.19.832
Localization: CIS

Could it be that merely because I bought this device in Russia, it's missing all of these functions, even though I installed the software update from the US website?

Is there any way to restore full functionality to my PB632 device?

Please help. This device was an important gift to me and realising that it's stripped of its advertised functions is really underwhelming. Thank you.

Last edited by VincentF; 12-25-2019 at 03:33 AM.
VincentF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:12 AM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Bluetooth should be in Settings and Quick settings when you pull down the status bar. Speech synthesis settings are in the Language settings.
I would try reinstalling the firmware, this normally helps with missing elements.
And you're sure it's a Touch HD 3 and not a Touch Lux 4?
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
There is no audio function in Russian PocketBook 632 (Touch HD 3) version (https://pocketbook.ru/shop/ustroystv...632-bronzovyy/).
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
VincentF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Bluetooth should be in Settings and Quick settings when you pull down the status bar. Speech synthesis settings are in the Language settings.
I would try reinstalling the firmware, this normally helps with missing elements.
And you're sure it's a Touch HD 3 and not a Touch Lux 4?
Thank you for your answer. And yes, I'm sure. The splash screen says "Touch HD 3". I have re-installed software just today, from the Swiss website.

Settings have no mention of the word "Bluetooth", Language settings no mention of "Speech Synthesis", even though the option popped up briefly then disappeared when I installed a tts voice pack. It's as if these options are hidden on purpose.

I have seen peoples' menus have "Player" and "Audiobook" icons... mine doesn't.
This is my app menu: Book Store, Browser, Calculator, Calendar and Clock, Chess, Dictionary, Dropbox Pocketbook, Gallery, Klondike, Library, Pocketbook Cloud, RSS News, Scribble, Send-top-Pocketbook, Settings, Sudoku.

Once again, latest software version: U632.5.19.832.

Also, when I open a book, even a stock book, and tap the middle of the screen, I have the following options: Settings, Rotate, Note, Dictionary.
I've seen other people with Touch HD 3 have a TTS icon. I don't have it.

It makes no sense to me at all.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
VincentF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
There is no audio function in Russian PocketBook 632 (Touch HD 3) version (https://pocketbook.ru/shop/ustroystv...632-bronzovyy/).
What... But how does this make sense? It's still the same device, right? Same model and everything. How do I make sense of this?

Do you mean to tell me that the device, for some reason, comes stripped of one of its main functions for the Russian market, while costing more..?

Last edited by VincentF; 12-25-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:44 AM   #6
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentF View Post
Do you mean to tell me that the device, for some reason, comes stripped of one of its main functions for the Russian market, while costing more..?
Well, yes. It's not the first time, when Russian model is quite different from European version.

Last edited by Cyfranek; 12-25-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #7
Cyfranek
Groupie

Oh, and remember that Russian version is not waterproof either. There is another (never) version of PB 632 Aqua, that is waterproof (https://pocketbook.ru/shop/ustroystv...aqua-lazurnyy/) while European PB Touch HD 3 is waterproof "from the beginning".
Old 12-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
VincentF

Quote:
Oh, and remember that Russian version is not waterproof either. There is another (never) version of PB 632 Aqua, that is waterproof (https://pocketbook.ru/shop/ustroystv...aqua-lazurnyy/) while European PB Touch HD 3 is waterproof "from the beginning".
But the splash screen (hah) on my device says it's waterproof. If the device itself says it's waterproof, but it's not, it's grounds for a lawsuit.

That ridiculous nonsense aside, is there any way to flash my device to unlock the missing features? A different firmware perhaps?
Old 12-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #9
VincentF

Quote:
Well, yes. It's not the first time, when Russian model is quite different from European version.
What... possible reasoning would PocketBook have to do this? Is this some weird discrimination or straight up a scam? It is the exact same model, for a slightly higher price, but missing key features? Am I going insane?
Old 12-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #10
Cyfranek
Groupie

Quote:
But the splash screen (hah) on my device says it's waterproof. If the device itself says it's waterproof, but it's not, it's grounds for a lawsuit.
I don't think it was like that in oryginal Russian firmware...

Quote:
That ridiculous nonsense aside, is there any way to flash my device to unlock the missing features? A different firmware perhaps?
I really don't know if there is a BT module and/or audio chipset inside or not. Swiss version of firmware should detect it. I suppose this eReader lacks this hardware and feature as well.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
Cyfranek
Groupie

Quote:
What... possible reasoning would PocketBook have to do this? Is this some weird discrimination or straight up a scam? It is the exact same model, for a slightly higher price, but missing key features? Am I going insane?
I don't think it's scam. The name of this eReader in Europe is PB Touch HD 3 while in Russia there are two versions under different names PB 632 and 632 Aqua. Touch HD 3 is not mentioned. All of them are well described on local (national) websites. So PocketBook could say it's not the same model.

And it's quite the same with other producers. They can put different prices for each region ever for exact the same product (compare Kindle Oasis 3 in Germany and France). You should know that PocketBook readers in Russia are more expensive but I'm quite sure there is 3 year warranty instead of one or two years for other regions. Maybe that's the reason for different price. I don't know it's just a guess.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
VincentF

Quote:
I don't think it's scam. The name of this eReader in Europe is PB Touch HD 3 while in Russia there are two versions under different names PB 632 and 632 Aqua. Touch HD 3 is not mentioned. All of them are well described on local (national) websites. So PocketBook could say it's not the same model.

And it's quite the same with other producers. They can put different prices for each region ever for exact the same product (compare Kindle Oasis 3 in Germany and France). You should know that PocketBook readers in Russia are more expensive but I'm quite sure there is 3 year warranty instead of one or two years for other regions. Maybe that's the reason for different price. I don't know it's just a guess.
The 3 year warranty only applies if I buy it on the same site, it's 2 year if you buy it from a retailer.

My device, when I bought it, clearly said Touch HD 3 on the off-screen. Still does. It says in Russian that it's waterproof. It also apparently came pre-installed with TTS voice packs. When I installed a custom voice pack from the official website today, it gave me access to Voice Synthesis settings where I could see other TTS packs pre-installed. When I closed out of that setting page, it was gone and no longer to be found. That means that those settings exist, but are hidden in the CIS firmware for whatever reason.

Also, bluetooth and sound chips costs are hardly significant these days... How is this a corner to cut and why? I have an incredibly hard time believing that a Swiss company would cut out such inexpensive yet vital components out of a device, not make it in any way clear which components are missing, and then charge significantly more. We're talking about a 50 USD price difference between USA and RU. I am not convinced it's not a scam. There's no good reason to cut off/hide features in the same model of a device or blatantly state on the device screen that it's waterproof if it's not.

I have still hopes that there's a way to flash the firmware of the device to change it's localisation. That might solve the issue. Is there such a possibility?

Last edited by VincentF; 12-25-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
Cyfranek
Groupie

Quote:
My device, when I bought it, clearly said Touch HD 3 on the off-screen. Still does. It says in Russian that it's waterproof.
That's quite strange. I did check some Russian reveiews and there is no "Touch HD 3" name nor waterproof icon on their devices (compare: https://technomode.ru/gadgets/electr...alnyj-flagman/ or https://m.onlinetrade.ru/catalogue/e...69-r69164.html). Have you bought a new device or used/opened one?

Quote:
I have still hopes that there's a way to flash the firmware of the device to change it's localisation. That might solve the issue. Is there such a possibility?
There was a topic about reflashing memory card for Touch Lux 3. Maybe it's possible for you device as well. Take o look in PB's forum section.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #14
VincentF

Quote:
That's quite strange. I did check some Russian reveiews and there is no "Touch HD 3" name nor waterproof icon on their devices (compare: https://technomode.ru/gadgets/electr...alnyj-flagman/ or https://m.onlinetrade.ru/catalogue/e...69-r69164.html). Have you bought a new device or used/opened one?
I have indeed bought a new device, on warranty, from a known and tested retailer in my city. Unfortunately I'm currently abroad and can't really do anything about it physically.
That screenshot in the review is confusing. My Touch HD 3 currently says "Touch HD 3" and has similar icons, with RUSSIAN text, except the bottom one is the water proof IP rating...

I am beyond confused.

I'll try to look for the flashing guide, but I'm notoriously bad at finding things. If by any chance anyone knows what to do, I would be eternally grateful.

And thank you very much, Cyfranek, for finding this information. I can't describe how distraught I am... This device means a lot to me and knowing that I got.. deceived and for some reason, despite the full price, it's some "limited" edition specifically for Russians is just.. such a hard pill to swallow.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:50 AM   #15
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
You can reinstall the current firmware by copying the .bin file onto the device. Then turn it off and then on again. During the boot process you need to press both arrow buttons at the same time until you see the update screen.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote