Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #391
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I see those books by both authors on a free (pirate) download site. ePub and RAR formats.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #392
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I see those books by both authors on a free (pirate) download site. ePub and RAR formats.
Oh, I'm sure. It turns out that I bought the book in the Kindle store back in 2011. I had forgotten that I had done so and didn't bother looking in my calibre library when I saw that it wasn't listed as available in the Kindle format anymore. It's still on my contents list on Amazon.

As it becomes easier and easier to scan books into ebooks, I suspect just about any book will be available somewhere if you know where to look and have the will to do so.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #393
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
estheimer book by the same name. I read the book way back when I was a teen/young adult and still went to libraries. The book is out of print, though you can buy used copies on the internet. The last edition that I saw mentioned was 1977. Oddly enough, there is an ebook version on B&N nook, the Rosetta Books edition, but it's no longer sold at Amazon or Roku.
That sounds like the rights reverted. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back through Open Road or someone else.

Quote:
Of course, since one can no longer download books from B&N, buying it there is like throwing your money away, especially since the future of the nook bookstore is very much in question.
It's been a while since I bought a Nook book. But last time I tried, I was able to download the book and remove the DRM. If Von Ryan's Express weren't $8.99, I'd give it a go.

Quote:
I do understand there are work around methods, i.e. there is a screen scrapper app that will scan in the nook book by reading it in the web browser.
I wonder how well that works? I use a similar plug-in to back up ComiXology purchases, but those are just images.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #394
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Of course, since one can no longer download books from B&N, buying it there is like throwing your money away, especially since the future of the nook bookstore is very much in question.
There's no "of course" about it. Anyone who wanted to read it and could access the Nook app might consider it money well spent for several hours of enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
It would be more notable if they were not. I'm not sure I see the purpose of this post, especially when the formats are specified. Surely no one here would think of downloading bootleg books, or suggesting it as a possibility.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #395
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There's no "of course" about it. Anyone who wanted to read it and could access the Nook app might consider it money well spent for several hours of enjoyment.

It would be more notable if they were not. I'm not sure I see the purpose of this post, especially when the formats are specified. Surely no one here would think of downloading bootleg books, or suggesting it as a possibility.
All true Scotsmen would say "Of course".

(just noticed the last part of your message - I blame my cat)
I would say that for the purposes of this specific thread, it was meant as a thread for books that you want as legit ebooks in legit ebook stores, but so far hasn't made an appearance, rather than talk about pirate sites.

Last edited by pwalker8; 11-24-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #396
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That sounds like the rights reverted. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back through Open Road or someone else.

It's been a while since I bought a Nook book. But last time I tried, I was able to download the book and remove the DRM. If Von Ryan's Express weren't $8.99, I'd give it a go.

I wonder how well that works? I use a similar plug-in to back up ComiXology purchases, but those are just images.
When was the last time you tried. Looking at the various mentions in Google, it looks like they changed things this summer. Of course, the question is purely academic for me these days.

No idea how well it works. Screen scraping is well understood, of course. The product is a bit pricey ($35+) for me to get it to satisfy simple curiosity.

It does seem strange that B&N would make such a drastic change (apparently they also changed their encryption technique which hasn't been figured out yet) at this point.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #397
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When was the last time you tried. Looking at the various mentions in Google, it looks like they changed things this summer. Of course, the question is purely academic for me these days.
I'm about to head out, but I'll try it when I get home. I have several Nook books I purchased years back, but haven't downloaded using the Windows 10 app (I of course backed them up at the time of purchase).

From previous experience, I will wind up downloading an ePub. Trying to open that file with Sigil will give me the DRM message. I will then drag that file into Calibre and see if it removes the DRM. It worked the last time I tried it.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #398
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm about to head out, but I'll try it when I get home. I have several Nook books I purchased years back, but haven't downloaded using the Windows 10 app (I of course backed them up at the time of purchase).

From previous experience, I will wind up downloading an ePub. Trying to open that file with Sigil will give me the DRM message. I will then drag that file into Calibre and see if it removes the DRM. It worked the last time I tried it.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:26 PM   #399
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Thanks.
Using the Nook app from the MS store, I downloaded Bring On The Night by Jay Davis, published by Macmillan. Surprisingly, the ePub downloaded without DRM.

Instead, I downloaded Rawhide Flat by Joseph West (fun fact, that book is also no longer available as a Kindle book). The ePub downloaded as a Nook book. Sigil can't open it due to DRM. I imported it into Calibre and it still wouldn't ioen due to DRM.

So I guess Nook DRM has changed since I last tried it. The last time I downloaded and imported a Nook book, it was Rawhide Flat and importing to Calibre did remove the DRM.

I suspect Nook DRM could still be stripped, but none of the DRM people care about Nook enough.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #400
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Using the Nook app from the MS store, I downloaded Bring On The Night by Jay Davis, published by Macmillan. Surprisingly, the ePub downloaded without DRM.

Instead, I downloaded Rawhide Flat by Joseph West (fun fact, that book is also no longer available as a Kindle book). The ePub downloaded as a Nook book. Sigil can't open it due to DRM. I imported it into Calibre and it still wouldn't ioen due to DRM.

So I guess Nook DRM has changed since I last tried it. The last time I downloaded and imported a Nook book, it was Rawhide Flat and importing to Calibre did remove the DRM.

I suspect Nook DRM could still be stripped, but none of the DRM people care about Nook enough.
I suspect your last sentence is correct. Sony's LRF (it might have been LRX) was the same way. It wasn't broken but I think it's more because no one really cared enough to really focus on it.

I do wonder a bit if some of those books on Nook but not Amazon are books where the contract has expired, but no one on the Nook side bothered to remove them.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #401
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
PJ Parrish very 1st book Only one I don't have https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786017155...v_ov_lig_dp_it

PLEASE click you want to read it on Kindle!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 11-25-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #402
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I suspect your last sentence is correct. Sony's LRF (it might have been LRX) was the same way. It wasn't broken but I think it's more because no one really cared enough to really focus on it.
I did buy a graphic novel through Nook a while back, and at first Calibre wouldn't remove the DRM. It turned out I had to open the ePub with 7-zip and move some file from one folder to another. Once I did that, Alf's stuff worked as expected.

They might have made that change to all ePub. If that's the case, Nook books are still strippable. I could check it with that copy of Rawhide Flat I downloaded, but I likely won't bother.

If you want to investigate further, go to Alf's blog. I don't remember the details and I don't think we're supposed to be too detailed here anyway.

Quote:
I do wonder a bit if some of those books on Nook but not Amazon are books where the contract has expired, but no one on the Nook side bothered to remove them.
I assumed that was the case. Barnes and Noble is just letting Nook wither on the vine. I don't know their business, but from my outsider's perspective, Nook's dire situation seems self-inflicted.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:48 PM   #403
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I have a pretty long list and it would have been even longer if sufue's post hadn't covered a large part of it.

The Tessa Crichton series by Anne Morice
The Neil Kelly series by S F X Dean
The Colonel Primrose series by Leslie Ford
The Marian Larch series and the Nightingale series by Barbara Paul
The Cassie Swann series by Susan Moody
Most of Marian Babson
Most of Angela Thirkell

I did have Cyril Hare on my list but when Korta posted that 50% Kobo discount for Canada yesterday I took a short trip over the border and there they almost all were – with very low prices and DRM-free too.

I’m mainly left with gaps in otherwise available series –

Lay On, Mac Duff! By Charlotte Armstrong
A Ring of Roses by Christianna Brand
Thinner Than Water, Death of a Minor Character, Woman Slaughter, Sleep of the Unjust , Something Wicked, Root of All Evil, and Smoke Without Fire by Elizabeth Ferrars
Rich, Radiant Slaughter by Orania Papazoglou (Jane Haddam)
Death of My Aunt, Death of His Uncle, and The Cornish Fox by C. H. B. Kitchin
Mrs Malory and the Only Good Lawyer, Mrs Malory: Death Among Friends, Mrs Malory and the Fatal Legacy, Mrs Malory and the Lilies That Fester, Mrs Malory and Death by Water, and Mrs Malory and the Delay of Execution by Hazel Holt
Up and Down and Over and Under by Mat Coward
Death is No Sportsman by Cyril Hare
Murder Machree by Eleanor Boylan
Malice Downstream by Graham Thomas

The past few years have been amazing though; I’ve already amassed more than I’ll be able to read in my lifetime.
This is an old thread but I still look back at it once in a while.

Several things I've been wanting are still missing but I noticed that Dean Street Press is releasing the first ten books in the Tessa Crichton series by Anne Morice. They are available for pre-order now and will be out in April. They're 2.99 each, which seems reasonable. I don't remember much about them so I've showed some restraint and only ordered the first one for now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VN4S84S...eries_rwt_tkin

Last edited by disconnected; 02-27-2021 at 06:17 PM. Reason: ETA link
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #404
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
This is an old thread but I still look back at it once in a while.

Several things I've been wanting are still missing but I noticed that Dean Street Press is releasing the first ten books in the Tessa Crichton series by Anne Morice. They are available for pre-order now and will be out in April. They're 2.99 each, which seems reasonable. I don't remember much about them so I've showed some restraint and only ordered the first one for now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VN4S84S...eries_rwt_tkin
You posting that got me to take a quick look for some of the books that I've wanted to buy as eBooks but haven't found yet. I see that James H. Cobb's USS Cunningham series (starting with Choosers of the Slain) is coming out May 8th for $3 a book, so thanks for prompting me to look! I now have all 4 on preorder. I probably need to do a scan of the various books I have in my list to see if any have made an appearance.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #405
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
The Children of First Man, by James Alexander Thom is at the top of my list. That surprises me, considering (IIRC) all the rest of his novels are available in ebook format.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote