Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
By any chance do you have some sort of 'helper utility' installed (not vanilla Windows)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #17
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
The file viewer in the editor in 4.2 is now working like it used to. It's much faster now. Thanks for fixing this, even though you might not have realized you fixed it.
Never mind. The file viewer has not been fixed and is still slow when reformatting the text after each edit (which began with version 4.0). After each edit, I'm still seeing all text with no .css file being used, and then it jumps to using the current stylesheet.css file.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Never mind. The file viewer has not been fixed and is still slow when reformatting the text after each edit (which began with version 4.0). After each edit, I'm still seeing all text with no .css file being used, and then it jumps to using the current stylesheet.css file.
And that's a big deal why?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #19
Buckskin
Buckskin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for the reply. If I type in s I have to click before I can type another letter. I guess I will just go back to 4.1 and hope the next update fixes whatever my system has a problem with.
Buckskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #20
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Who said it was a "big deal"? Something in the File Viewer is broke, and it started being broke in v4.0, so I'm simply reporting the bug. If you don't care about this particular bug, then disregard my posts about it. It's as simple as that!
Old 10-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #21
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Rev. Bob. doesn't crash on my windows machine. Note that you can test that dialog more easily with

calibre-debug src/calibre/gui2/metadata/diff.py
Using that testing method, I've narrowed it down a bit further. Apparently the bug only happens when the mouse pointer is over the dropdown menu. Further, I must emphasize that it does not happen when scrolling with the mouse wheel.

Basically, it happens when I use the mouse to click on the Tags field, nudge the pointer down out of my way (but still over where the dropdown will be once it appears), set the mouse aside to type, and use the down-arrow to scroll instead of reaching for the mouse again.

But yes, I can still reproduce the bug quite reliably over here. The pointer location was the missing datum.

As noted, this machine is running 32-bit Win10, and I have not tested the behavior on either the 64-bit or portable builds.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #22
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
It's become a big enough deal, with the unreasonable slowness in the File Preview window, in addition to the editor crashing periodically (the Editor window disappears suddenly for no reason), and a few other things, that I'm going back to 3.48 and will wait a much longer time before I upgrade again. There are just too many bugs right now for me to continue using version 4.2.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #23
VIslandGirl
VIslandGirl began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question unable to open 4.2.0 - Error 1114

Hi, after installing latest calibre version, I am unable to open calibre at all, getting an error regarding loading DLL and Error 1114. Has anyone had this and fixed it? Love calibre, but it's useless to me right now. Thanks!
VIslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Who said it was a "big deal"? Something in the File Viewer is broke, and it started being broke in v4.0, so I'm simply reporting the bug. If you don't care about this particular bug, then disregard my posts about it. It's as simple as that!
From what's been said in a different thread, the problem has to do with your video card driver. Try updating it if there is an update. Even try a beta version if one exists.

Also, if you are on a laptop with dual video chips, switch which video chip gets used by Calibre.

I don't have this issue. But then, I'm running Windows 10 with new enough video card drivers.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #25
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
From what's been said in a different thread, the problem has to do with your video card driver. Try updating it if there is an update. Even try a beta version if one exists.

Also, if you are on a laptop with dual video chips, switch which video chip gets used by Calibre.

I don't have this issue. But then, I'm running Windows 10 with new enough video card drivers.
I'm also running Windows 10 with all the latest and newest video card drivers. All the other drivers are the latest versions, on a desktop computer that had all the best hardware parts in December 2017. If this problem had something to do with a video card driver, I would have had the problem in 3.48, but I didn't. Version 3.48 was working very well, and I had no problems with the slowness in the File Preview window nor with the entire Editor window crashing, as it does periodically in 4.2.

My video card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 730 and the latest driver is installed, per Device Manager, at this moment.

Thanks for trying, though.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If this problem had something to do with a video card driver, I would have had the problem in 3.48, but I didn't. Version 3.48 was working very well, and I had no problems with the slowness in the File Preview window nor with the entire Editor window crashing, as it does periodically in 4.2.

My video card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 730 and the latest driver is installed, per Device Manager, at this moment.
You do realize that quite a bit of the background tools used to build calibre have changed? The QT portion was updated between calibre 3 and calibre 4 and the updated version fixes some issues with the older version but has added in it's own 'fun' glitches.

As for your video card? I seem to remember the GeForce GT 730 was introduced in 2014 and went EOL in spring 2018. I doubt this qualifies as a best hardware available in December 2017.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'm also running Windows 10 with all the latest and newest video card drivers. All the other drivers are the latest versions, on a desktop computer that had all the best hardware parts in December 2017. If this problem had something to do with a video card driver, I would have had the problem in 3.48, but I didn't. Version 3.48 was working very well, and I had no problems with the slowness in the File Preview window nor with the entire Editor window crashing, as it does periodically in 4.2.

Thanks for trying, though.
Code:
Version            353.62 - WHQL
Release Date 	   Wed Jul 29, 2015
Operating System   Windows 10 64-bit
Language           English (US)
Is that the version video card driver that you are running? If it is a lower version number, try it. If you are running this, uninstall it and try the driver installed by Microsoft and do a Windows update to make sure it is the latest from MS.

As DNSB has said, a lo has changed under the hood for Calibre 4.x.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #28
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Code:
Version            353.62 - WHQL
Release Date 	   Wed Jul 29, 2015
Operating System   Windows 10 64-bit
Language           English (US)
Is that the version video card driver that you are running? If it is a lower version number, try it. If you are running this, uninstall it and try the driver installed by Microsoft and do a Windows update to make sure it is the latest from MS.

As DNSB has said, a lo has changed under the hood for Calibre 4.x.
My Nvidia GeForce GT 730 video card:

Driver Version 23.21.13.9135
Windows 10 32-bit
(Windows did not find a newer driver, and it looks like the driver that's installed is from Microsoft.)

I just found the following driver and will download it.

GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER

Version: 391.35 WHQL
Release Date: 2018.3.27
Operating System: Windows 10 32-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 347.42 MB

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by deback; 10-22-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

@deback, pleas elet us know if that driver helps Calibre 4.2 to work.

One question. Why are you on a 32-bit Windows?
Old 10-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
nVidia EOL'ed 32bit drivers a... good long while ago, so, that probably won't help your case much if you're actually on a 32bit install.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote