Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 05:15 AM   #136
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue7M3 View Post
You can probably forget about ever being approved for the forum. It appears all the threads are locked and the Founder has changed from "MarkTech" to "Abandoned". I was about to buy one of these but after reading all the complaints and hearing about their disgustingly poor customer service I am very hesitant to do so.
If you are talking about this post above, it was a statement. And as such it was part of the overall discussion. I saw it as a part of the thread, if you had a question about it, mores specifically, I'm sure someone would have addressed you in a more direct manner. Welcome to the board though!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #137
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
Hi Sue,

I gotta agree with jhempel24; you didn't ask any questions to be answered, and we have all talked at length about all the points you brought up. I'm sorry you feel ignored.

Again, if you want to read books, you can with this unit. There are just some bugs that need fixing and Augen is too small of a company to deal with the mass furiousness of everyone that is complaining. Imagine if 100,000 units were sold, and Mark was the only customer support guy, he's gotta be overloaded.

He ignores me now when my name pops up on the online help. He's abandoned the forums because it's full of complaints. Actually it's full of constructive criticism, but he's probably of the mindset that if you ignore the problem, it will go away.

Their customer service sucks, and their software suck. The sad part is that the hardware is GREAT and could really be something wonderful if they put a half-brained effort into it.

Oh yeah - and they're probably whooped by the Google cease and desist order on their Gentouch78...

BTW, all threads on augen.lefora.com are not locked. Many good threads are open, but if Marktech abandoned the forum, then only the 66 approved members are probably allowed to post...

Last edited by VentureForth; 08-31-2010 at 03:42 PM.
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #138
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi Sue, et al,

I feel a little guilty for not responding, because I felt your comment was in relation to one of my posts. But only a little, for, as others have written here, there didn't seem to be much to say in response that was worthwhile. Nevertheless I appreciated your effort.

This is probably the best-run and best behaved forum that I have been a part of, and I have received enormous help and information from a number of members. I express my gratitude by helping others who are here. Not always do I get a response to my posts, but I take comfort in knowing that I tried and that someone - perhaps not the intended recipient - will glean some value from my efforts.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #139
AnnTheReader
AnnTheReader began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
new patch

Bought The Book 6 days ago from KMart. I wanted to replace my EBookWise and specifically wanted something that with a backlight since 90% of my reading is at night in bed.

Immediate problems:
1) did not recognize any SD card
2) when opening a new book, it opened in the middle of the book so I immediately had to use the menu to go back to Page 1
3) the time display is not accurate
4) it has already crashed once (functions stopped working and screen went blank except for 911 611 211 displayed along the side of the screen)
5) you can only read the Help page once - to access it again you have to power off and power on

I called Augen today and after working with the tech for almost 30 minutes was told:

1) The Book does not take HC or HS SD cards (though none of my regular 2 G cards worked either)
2) my unit has a software problem that causes it to crash
3) although the new patch (Sep 1?) *might* address some of these problems, the patch CANNOT be downloaded through Windows 7 (64 bit) or Linux (my two laptops), so I have no way to get the patch on my The Book.

I love the eBook capability of this reader (and the ease of transferring html pages from my computer compared to the eBookWise), but will be returning this to KMart tomorrow and then will give it a try again in about 6 months when they have the bugs worked out. :>
AnnTheReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #140
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnTheReader View Post
<snip>
1) did not recognize any SD card
2) when opening a new book, it opened in the middle of the book so I immediately had to use the menu to go back to Page 1
3) the time display is not accurate
<snip>

1) The Book does not take HC or HS SD cards (though none of my regular 2 G cards worked either)
2) my unit has a software problem that causes it to crash
3) although the new patch (Sep 1?) *might* address some of these problems, the patch CANNOT be downloaded through Windows 7 (64 bit) or Linux (my two laptops), so I have no way to get the patch on my The Book.
<snip>
Hi ATR, et al,

it's always disappointing to find faults where they should not be, and not for one minute do I think it is unreasonable for a device to work properly when purchased.

Your SD card problems (and those of others) have me perplexed: my reader recognizes my cards - SDHC and "normal" without problem, though it does forget it has them from time to time. My wife's unit does the same thing.

Starting a book somewhere other than the first page is also unacceptable. (My wife initially presumed the first bit was missing altogether.) And don't start me on that ridiculous clock...

I find the issue with the patch interesting for I would have thought downloading would not be an issue, but running/executing it would stop linux in its tracks; Win 7/64 (and would that include Vista as well?) is another problem altogether. My understanding is that Win7 was backwards compatible to a significant extent with 32-bit apps. Perhaps it is the need for a DOS window?

In any event, Augen is particularly myopic for this oversight. Sure, WinXP is still the most common OS in the world, but Win7 is coming up fast, and owners of TBs will want to upgrade their firmware for sure.

While I am very happy with my TB, I don't know what the future holds, and a Pocketbook may well be my next purchase, and that might change things markedly. I have fond memories of my first car all those years ago, but I wouldn't swap it for my Citroen under any circumstances.

I don't blame you in the least for being dissatisfied.

Good luck.

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #141
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Ann, I would return it and pickup another. My Augen(generation 1) with no upgrades worked perfectly out of the box and still is functioning perfectly. I use it nightly for half an hour or so reading from bed and love it. It's file system and selection method is very similar to the Jetbook and it's backlit screen is perfect for night time reading or driving(passanger only naturally). I did have to reformat my SD card for it to be read by my computer and the unit but after that it's been fine.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #142
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
When i bring a DRM book from B&N it say in the Adobe program user unknow.

I thought we both had 9.1

So what is the problem

Any Help is approciated

Jim
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #143
AnnTheReader
AnnTheReader began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
DixieKnits wrote
Ann, I would return it and pickup another. My Augen(generation 1) with no upgrades worked perfectly out of the box and still is functioning perfectly. I use it nightly for half an hour or so reading from bed and love it. It's file system and selection method is very similar to the Jetbook and it's backlit screen is perfect for night time reading or driving(passanger only naturally). I did have to reformat my SD card for it to be read by my computer and the unit but after that it's been fine.

----------------

I did love it for reading at night - so plan to go back in 3 months and get one that has the bugs worked out.

What format did you have to put your SD card in so TB recognized it? I tried three formats with no success.
AnnTheReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #144
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Ann, I formated it NTFS or NSTF, sorry don't remember which way the initials go. I know the FATS didn't work with it. I"m told that different brands of SD cards really matter in these things, get a name brand one. If you really want the Book, get it now, They might not be around in 3 months..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #145
djskidd
djskidd began at the beginning.

Device: Augen TheBook
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayw1pi View Post
Use "Caliber" to convert to the CBR format.

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ersion-to-from
Uhh, do you mean calibre?

Yeah, I know,
but I just want to know: Can I buy an eBook from Amazon and read on my "new" TheBook?
djskidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #146
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by djskidd View Post

Yeah, I know,
but I just want to know: Can I buy an eBook from Amazon and read on my "new" TheBook?
The Book support mobi format and would read Amazon books if they did not have DRM however, the vast majority have DRM.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #147
noplace
noplace began at the beginning.

Device: Augen "The Book"
Can anyone tell me how to delete downloaded books from TB? Thanks in advance
noplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #148
reader600
reader600 began at the beginning.

Device: Augen, kindle, nook
Yes, you can turn it back to factory settings to delete everything, or hook it up to your computer and it can be viewed as a storage device. Just look over the contents and delete the individual books, songs, videos and such that you no longer want to keep!
reader600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #149
reader600

Quote:
Originally Posted by djskidd View Post

Yeah, I know,
You can buy the book from Kobo because they use Adobe DRM which the Augen can read, or you can go online and purchase a kindle DRM removal program and then run it through calibre and convert it to the format of your choosing.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #150
reader600

[QUOTE

Last edited by reader600; 01-27-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: deleted double post

Tags
the book