Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #136
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
No need to be defensive; I've pirated ebooks too. But not based on the same rationale that you do. I was just trying to clarify what you meant.
Ok fair enough with your clarification.

@lilac jive

a. ok
b. alright, that's why I said for a nominal fee on top of the printed book. You yourself said that copyright is by far the largest expense, why pay this double with the ebook and printed book you get at the same time? (btw I don't think anyone ocr's books anymore since they start off as electronic text anyway, long are the days where they are printed on plates letter by letter)
c. Cause I am using a $300 book scanner and turning each page by hand not having some industrial set up. Pdf is not a terrible format, it just has limitations, its the de facto standard in any way that I can get my hands on.
d. Again you are agreeing with what I said, thanks.

Actually on the contrary of what you are saying:

It's the best way to foster a new market by giving people freely an ebook with their printed purchases, that's how they can make people buy more ebook devices and get accustomed to it and then maybe some people can opt out of printed books altogether should they wish too. But as per usual corruption and greed are people's no. 1 motivations and they want to make a quick $ by taking advantage of a situation instead of investing in a platform that will ensure them more sales and better penetration to the buying public.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #137
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
Ok fair enough with your clarification.

@lilac jive

a. ok
b. alright, that's why I said for a nominal fee on top of the printed book. You yourself said that copyright is by far the largest expense, why pay this double with the ebook and printed book you get at the same time? (btw I don't think anyone ocr's books anymore since they start off as electronic text anyway, long are the days where they are printed on plates letter by letter)
c. Cause I am using a $300 book scanner and turning each page by hand not having some industrial set up. Pdf is not a terrible format, it just has limitations, its the de facto standard in any way that I can get my hands on.
d. Again you are agreeing with what I said, thanks.

Actually on the contrary of what you are saying:

It's the best way to foster a new market by giving people freely an ebook with their printed purchases, that's how they can make people buy more ebook devices and get accustomed to it and then maybe some people can opt out of printed books altogether should they wish too. But as per usual corruption and greed are people's no. 1 motivations and they want to make a quick $ by taking advantage of a situation instead of investing in a platform that will ensure them more sales and better penetration to the buying public.
I see what you are saying now. For a nominal fee, I agree. I think that is still much farther down the road though, as we have more important problems that need to be dealt with before we push for something like that.

I agree with your last paragraph, but unfortunately many publishers are not thinking that way and don't want to.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #138
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
I will personally never buy ANY ebook if the dont give me the print book as well, or vice versa. I can't understand how people are in the dark about this and our not vocal in their opposition to the stone ages of eboks we are living now much as we were for mp3s that were once far worse than cd quality and drm'ed. I can attribute it solely to the fact that by far the most people are ignorant and unintelligent, the fomer of course is excusable and it happens to everyone of us, the latter is something we got to stomach.

The big publishing house want to sell me content without the physical artifact? Are they joking? It should be only up to me to choose to decline the printed book and only accept the ebook, I should have the option.

What they want is to become another recording industry where they will be forcing us to pay triple and quadruple for vinyl, then cds, then mp3s essentially getting the same songs and artists...or the film/tv industries doing the same with vhs/dvd/blue rays. There is absolutely to rationale for not offering me the e-version of a printed book I am already purchasing, The cost to the them is subminimal, and since I am buying the content in print I should also have the choice of having the electronic version to use in my reader of choice.

I consider people buying ebooks solely as being taken advantage of. Firstly the way one relates to, overviews, reads and catalogs non physical books is like music very problematic. You got to have the physical book too, even if you never carry it around, it should be your choice.

To the rest who have spent their hard earned $$ buying expensive data encoded diodes passing off as books and have not been given the physical printed book too, allow me to say they are big, big time suckers, and it will take a long time to bring this situation with books into a fair level if they keep acting like suckers....
wow... Large letters...

I didn't know

I could shout like this!!!

As far as mp3's being far worse than cd's or for what it's worth LP's, that's not really true.
It just depends on what bitrate you encode it.
I'm sure you'll need to be a pro to hear the difference between an original recording on LP/tape/DAT/CD and a 160kbps mp3;let alone a 320kbps which technically exceeds/can exceed CD quality.

Then there's OGG which is far superior to MP3 (about 2 to 2,5 times as superior in quality/filesize).. Anyways, I think Ebooks are just better than pbooks.

Anyways, just wanted to show that it almost seems like I know something about mp3's, or so.... You know, just bluffing..

------------------------------------------
I'm having one of those days you know... One of those days you wished you didn't wake up in the morning, and stayed in bed watching some anime or so...

Last edited by ProDigit; 04-19-2009 at 04:34 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote