Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #76
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks. There's no way to stop the watch updating?
Not that I have found so long as the phone app is running and if it is not you might as well be in airplane mode. Bluetooth connection is generally expected to the app. Of course the new watch can do its own thing without an app once it is set up but still many downloaded apps depend on the mother ship.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #77
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Ran into a problem with ios 11. I have an older app, and it won't launch, says I need to upgrade the app to use it with ios 11.

I'm going to restore a backup for now.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #78
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I'm out of luck; restoring a "backup" doesn't restore the OS (ios). Is there a way I can go back to the previous version of ios?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not that I'm aware of, no. It's a pity you didn't read the thread before upgrading. We've discussed the fact that iOS 11 doesn't support 32-bit applications, and how you can find out if you have any. See post #33.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #80
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not that I'm aware of, no. It's a pity you didn't read the thread before upgrading. We've discussed the fact that iOS 11 doesn't support 32-bit applications, and how you can find out if you have any. See post #33.
Yes, it is.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #81
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I guess I'm out of luck; restoring a "backup" doesn't restore the OS (ios). Is there a way I can go back to the previous version of ios?

Thanks.
If Apple is still signing iOS 10 you can go back, but that generally only happens for a short time.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/20/downg...0-iphone-ipad/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #82
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If Apple is still signing iOS 10 you can go back, but that generally only happens for a short time.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/20/downg...0-iphone-ipad/
I was able to go back.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #83
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Re the issue of some apps not being compatible with iOS 11, and forgive me if this has already been stated in this thread (I confess I haven’t read all 5 pages), there was a section in device settings where apps that needed updating for compatibility issues were listed. I knew going in that some apps would no longer work in iOS 11. I contacted one app developer and he said he wasn’t going to update.

I do like iOS so far. I just updated my iPad last night. The keyboard is going to take getting used to, but I think once I am accustomed to it, it will actually be easier to use.

I had updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 11 and then backed up the photos to my Windows laptop. Be warned, I had it set to only copy new photos and videos. I think iOS 11 changed the file format or something. It copied ALL the photos and videos and I now have a huge folder with duplicates. I am a photo hoarder as it is, so you can just imagine....🙄

I just switched the iPhone to 8, which came with 11 on board. So far, so good. 👍
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Re the issue of some apps not being compatible with iOS 11, and forgive me if this has already been stated in this thread (I confess I haven’t read all 5 pages), there was a section in device settings where apps that needed updating for compatibility issues were listed.
Yes - see post #33.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:14 AM   #85
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am going to wait three months before upgrading to iOS 11. Already there is a complain about kindle app crashing after upgrading. I will wait until all my app developers have explicitly upgraded their apps to suppport iOS 11.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #86
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Already there is a complain about kindle app crashing after upgrading.
I have upgraded to 11. The Kindle app crashed for me the first time I opened it after the update, but it has been fine since.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #87
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
My first iOS disappointment: the redesigned App Store no longer has a Wish List. I should be able to access what it was on my iPad 3 (iOS9) but will have to use a different way to track going forward (probably a OneNote folder).

‘Purchased Apps’ is now accessed from Account info instead of its own full screen view.

Kindle app works okay for me, and did even before the latest update.

I’m still getting used to split view changes but I think overall it is much better.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #88
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My first iOS disappointment: the redesigned App Store no longer has a Wish List. I should be able to access what it was on my iPad 3 (iOS9) but will have to use a different way to track going forward (probably a OneNote folder).

‘Purchased Apps’ is now accessed from Account info instead of its own full screen view.

Kindle app works okay for me, and did even before the latest update.

I’m still getting used to split view changes but I think overall it is much better.
I also miss the Wish List in the App Store. You can use the Reminders app as a work-a-round. Tap the app you want to keep on a list, tap the “...” at the upper right, then Reminders. You could use any app I suppose.

I’m finding the new App Store confusing and not nearly as easy to use. And why they removed the Wish List is a mystery.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #89
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I also miss the Wish List in the App Store. You can use the Reminders app as a work-a-round. Tap the app you want to keep on a list, tap the “...” at the upper right, then Reminders. You could use any app I suppose.

I’m finding the new App Store confusing and not nearly as easy to use. And why they removed the Wish List is a mystery.
Wish List was probably not used much, or when used, generated too few sales to be of value to Apple/app developers. I mostly used it as a way of avoiding impulse buying. And most of what I put on there 2-3 years ago is either not of interest, not getting updates, or requires renewed research to determine if my arcane requirements are better met by some other app.

I do like that Updates page lets you navigate to the app details directly. Before you had to be on Purchased page to do that.

I have always found it difficult to discover more specialized apps which I know must exist. The categories are not fine grained enough, no way to filter search results, and web searches and ‘best of x apps for iOS’ blog articles are not reliable. Not that Android is any better.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #90
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
And 11.0.1 is already available. I’m being super brave and applying it to the new iPhone 8 now...And the phone is back up and wifi and cellular networks are both there. Yay!
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote