Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
NYT: B&N planning big push to increase Nook sales

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/bu...0nook.html?hpw
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Makes sense that B&N would push Nook in its own store (I am still baffled at how pathetic the ereader "display" at Borders, particularly the [probably] the busiest/most foot traffic store on 5th ave/Manhattan).
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Will more display space really make up for features, price etc. to compete against other devices ?

Nook isn't a bad e-reader but i think there are better ones out there.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Will more display space really make up for features, price etc. to compete against other devices ?

Nook isn't a bad e-reader but i think there are better ones out there.
Might depend on whether people impulse buy or research. Of course, some people might compare and still like the Nook best.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
B&N are in a tough place right now-Amazon is putting on a pretty impressive media blitz...I wonder if they are really willing to get into a protracted hardware price war.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Deleted. Bad maths...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Good for them.
Competition = good.
And the added visibility for ebooks more so.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
B&N are in a tough place right now-Amazon is putting on a pretty impressive media blitz...I wonder if they are really willing to get into a protracted hardware price war.
Yeah, I think B&N is toast more likely. I say that as someone who pays them an annual membership fee and still buys print books there when possible, hoping to help keep them open longer. They're in bad financial shape and can't afford much of a struggle. They hafta try at least, though.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
That is an awful lot of store space that won't be selling books. When you look at the store ... the audio section, the cafe, then all the non-book products like the lotions and candles etc, then 1000sq to nook displays (and oh please could they actually work on training the employees?)

Somewhere along the line they are going to reach one of those infamous Tipping Points where the % of their store that is actually stocking printed books will be the minority.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
That is an awful lot of store space that won't be selling books. When you look at the store ... the audio section, the cafe, then all the non-book products like the lotions and candles etc, then 1000sq to nook displays (and oh please could they actually work on training the employees?)

Somewhere along the line they are going to reach one of those infamous Tipping Points where the % of their store that is actually stocking printed books will be the minority.

that's a good point, judging by their moves in the past months, they see the writing on the wall. E-books and their digital platform will be their future and the nook being it's center piece.

I can actually see many of the BN stores turning more into like Nook Cafe's.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Randal6393
Ebook Addict for ten year
Randal6393 is on a distinguished road

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Bebook Mini as lbook, Dell Axim Pocket PC
And how does selling Nooks in Best Buy add into the mix? Money is derived from non-BN stores -- that's good. But identification with BN is lost -- that may not be so good.

Do EReaders promote reading books? Or do they supplant buying dead-tree issues? Since I was an avid paperback reader, going electronic resulted in less paper. Especially once I realized my allergy problems were tied to dust and mold from old books.

I note that many more books are available in a wider variety of media than when I was growing up. That augers well for the future of mankind. Read more, think more, be exposed to more of the world?
Randal6393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal6393 View Post
Do EReaders promote reading books? Or do they supplant buying dead-tree issues?
I suspect that most new eBook reader owners read more books than before because they want to use their new toy.

How long before the thrill wears off? I'm guessing a year.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I love to read. And I love to read at anytime that I have a couple of mins. I do not have a ebook reader for say. I use a netbook that has kindle4pc, mobireader, adobe digital editions, and the nook application. So I always have ebooks to read and I can read what ever ebook I want and can get.
Now if I was to get a ebook reader I would have to look at where I get most of my ebooks that I buy and in that case I would be getting a Kindle.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I suspect that most new eBook reader owners read more books than before because they want to use their new toy.

How long before the thrill wears off? I'm guessing a year.
Hasn't worn off for me after 2 years. I was always a big reader, but diminishing eyesight made it harder to read regular books, especially paperbacks. The Kindle came along and revived my ability to read for pleasure.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal6393 View Post
And how does selling Nooks in Best Buy add into the mix?
The same way getting Kindles into BB would; by increasing the exposure and availability of the *platform*.

There is more to Nook than the reader hardware, just as there is more to Kindle. What B&N (and Amazon, who did it first) are doing is promoting the platform so as to sell more books. The modern ebook business is a tripod; hardware is but a piece of the puzzle; the ebookstore and the software platform are the other two. To succeed you need to control all three legs. (Which is why Sony and the other hardware-only vendors are looking at serious trouble; they don't control the platform, Adobe does.)

At a minimum, getting Nook into a BB gets Nooks displayed next to the Sonys.
At best, they'll result in hardware sales that'll drive ebook sales for the life of the reader device. This is important because, over time, B&N is going to have to close a lot if not most of their storefronts as the book business moves from 100% print to something like 90% ebook. B&N needs to sell Nook-
the-platform at all costs; whether it means selling reader hardware or "selling" reader apps on iTunes or PCs or cellphones.

If their storefronts lose sales, well, better they lose those sales to Nook and not to Kindle.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote