Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
eosrose
Enthusiast
eosrose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Ideal base font size for ePub?

I'm trying to create some ePub documents and I'm wondering what a good standard base font size is for output? I want the text to be a decent size for both readers using Stanza on their iPhones and people reading on larger devices. Suggestions?
eosrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosrose View Post
I'm trying to create some ePub documents and I'm wondering what a good standard base font size is for output? I want the text to be a decent size for both readers using Stanza on their iPhones and people reading on larger devices. Suggestions?
Do not set a font size. Just let the text display using the default text size. The reader will set the font size they like in conjunction with their reading software.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
eosrose
Enthusiast

Quote:
Do not set a font size. Just let the text display using the default text size. The reader will set the font size they like in conjunction with their reading software.
Okay. I was doing that, but someone I asked to view it complained that the text was too big, so I got nervous. It must have been the device's settings.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosrose View Post
Okay. I was doing that, but someone I asked to view it complained that the text was too big, so I got nervous. It must have been the device's settings.
Yep. So long as you don't hard code in a font size, the displaying device can choose the font size. What was your tester using? Has your tester read other ebooks on that device?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Don't set the general font size in your css. That's why user-adjustable text size was invented.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
eosrose
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillaja View Post
Don't set the general font size in your css. That's why user-adjustable text size was invented.
Thanks, but I figured this out a while ago.

Tags
font size