Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Mérimée, Prosper: Three Short Stories. V3. 15 May 2010

Browsing the author M uploads here I came across Carmen by Prosper Mérimée. Great story and this reminded me of the other wonderful stories in the volume I read about thirty years ago; the book in question being quite old at even that time. So I had a look around and found what I am certain was the very book available at Google Books in public domain. The source material was in terrible shape, and since as stated Carmen has already been placed here, I confined by efforts to the remaining three short stories. So what we have here are:

The Taking of the Redoubt The account of the first exposure to the horrors of battle for a young recruit in the French army. Set during the war between Napoleon and Russia.

Mateo Falcone The account of a Corsican father who carries the concept of family honor to an extreme, nay insane end.

The Venus of Ille A spooky tale that warns what the tragic consequences can be for any man who dares toy with the affections of an enchanted statue.

Great stuff here, so enjoy it!

About version 2.

So for version 2 make that four stories by Prosper Mérimée (now including Carmen). Retitled as Carmen and Other Tales. Colomba is long, so I'll upload it separately later when complete.

Side discussion; same topic alternate form of entertainment.. If you ever get the chance to see the opera Carmen you should seize the chance. Since few will have the opportunity to attend a live performance of the opera anytime soon there is the high production film version starring Plácido Domingo (for star power) as Don José —it's available on DVD.

There is also this film version, with the setting updated to modern times. Not a bad movie at all, but the main reason I mention it is that the lead female IS Carmen, IMO. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085297/

So anyway to hear a talented soprano in the role of Carmen sing Seguidilla—guaranteed goose bumps.

As always, I am ready to correct any errors encountered.

version 3. Fixed a few typos. Thanks due to member AlexBell for bringing these to my attention.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub shortStoryMerimee.epub (232.8 KB, 510 views)

Last edited by Hamlet53; 05-15-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: new version
Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, I've downloaded it and now I'm off the uploads to see if Carmen is available in ePub

Regards, Alex

Carmen is not available in ePub. You've done a great job in formatting the three short stories; please consider doing version 2 including Carmen.

Last edited by AlexBell; 05-07-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Added information
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, I've downloaded it and now I'm off the uploads to see if Carmen is available in ePub

Regards, Alex

Carmen is not available in ePub. You've done a great job in formatting the three short stories; please consider doing version 2 including Carmen.
I think I will do that. I see that no version of Colomba is up here either. I think I'll add that to make a collection.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I think I will do that. I see that no version of Colomba is up here either. I think I'll add that to make a collection.
Please do. I look forward to it.

Regards, Alex
Old 05-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

After browsing the author "Ps" to see what interested me I realized I should draw some sort of attention to the edit. I can't change the thread title it seems so know it is now four tales, including Carmen.
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
After browsing the author "Ps" to see what interested me I realized I should draw some sort of attention to the edit. I can't change the thread title it seems so know it is now four tales, including Carmen.
Many thanks.

Regards, Alex