Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
ivipopi
ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 4 (4.1.0)
viewing files (root??)

Hi,
Im new in this forum and as every noob I dont understand a lot of things and cant find answers...Thats why I would like to ask you for help.
I have made jaibreak (or I think so - it shows me "you are jailbroken").
My problem is:
1. When i connect device to pc(win 7) i cant see all folders (including system folders), just main folder "documents". What do I have to do to see full device in PC?
2. Does it exist something like file manager in kindle, where I can see and browse my folders in device?
3.Do I need SSH to change fonts and install GUI launcher, because I totally dont understand what SSH is and I dont wont to mess with it if it is not necessary.

I would really apreciate your help.
Thank you
ivipopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
1) The jailbreak will not allow you to view all the files, it will simply allow you to install custom updates on the kindle.
2) There is no file manager yet
3) You don't need ssh for thore two things. Ssh is a system that allows you to access the internal linux system. Unless you want to do that, you don't need ssh
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
ivipopi
ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ivipopi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 4 (4.1.0)
Thank you for answer.

Just last question : what should I do to see all files in my device?
ivipopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivipopi View Post
Hi,
Im new in this forum and as every noob I dont understand a lot of things and cant find answers...Thats why I would like to ask you for help.
I have made jaibreak (or I think so - it shows me "you are jailbroken").
My problem is:
1. When i connect device to pc(win 7) i cant see all folders (including system folders), just main folder "documents". What do I have to do to see full device in PC?
- - - -
I really think we need to add a "Noob" prefix index and wiki page.

FAQ: "What do I have to do to see full device in PC?"

Linux (and all *nix) have a single root file system tree.
Other (too) often used computer systems use a multiple rooted file system tree.

FAQ: "Is this folder with the 'documents' folder in it really the root (main folder) of the Kindle's (Linux) file system tree?"

No.
It is an exported sub-set of the full file system tree.
It has been given (within the file system) an new (external) name: "Kindle".
From your PC you see another "Kindle/documents" folder.
Where "Kindle" appears to be the root of another file system in your multiple rooted file system.
I.E: A drive letter in systems that label file system roots "A:, B:, C:, etc".

FAQ: "What is the full path and name of what appears to be the 'main' directory on the PC?"

Its native name is: /mnt/us
Where the leading '/' is the name of the root of the single rooted filesystem. (Yes, Virginia, the '/' is significant.)

FAQ (FAQ #1 restated): "How do I see the full (internal), single rooted file system?"

You need access to the system **other than** via the special view exported to a PC.

Your choices:

A direct connection to the internal system.
Translation: One of the serial ports. Either hardware or via networking (network console).

The most common one here (this MR site) is to access the hardware system operator's console port.

A "remote" connection to the internal system.
Common choices:
Command line:
Telnet,
ssh (Secure SHell, a replacement for rsh (Remote SHell) )

Graphic UI:
Any one of many applications that export the GUI display.
Look at the attachments on twobob's threads - many of those pictures are of the GUI exported using an application called VNC.

- - - -

And finally, the answer to the O.P.'s question:

Yes, you need to install an ssh server (sshd service) to allow access to the full internal system.
This service installation is a part of the USBnetworking package here.

The USB networking package (when enabled and running) will also convert the USB port that normally is a connection to the exported Kindle storage area into a networking cable.
That networking appears (and is configured at both ends) as if it was an Ethernet cable connection.

Translation: Install the USB networking package, read and follow those directions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
file manager, usb storage