Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Just bought a spare K3 3G

Hi All
I'm not allowed to order the new Paperwhite thingy.
I am so happy with my old K3 3G, all though the firmware is a "bit" clunky.
The thought of my K3 breaking, was so scary I had to buy a spare one, just in case.
Sigh - IF I'm honest to myself, I realized that during the last couple of years I aquired yet another adiction - the K3
Well - let's see if the Paperwhite is any good, once it's in the hands of real users.
Until then - hail my K3's

Cheers,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Another K3. Happy day.
My favorite one is still K1 because the big buttons, even K3 has the sharpest screen by far. I am afraid, backlighted Paperwhite will change that. ...New toy for me, soon, soon enough.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I have 2 too, one I keep in the car, and one for night reading with the Kindle official light. And in the day time I use the Sony Reader PRS-T1 at home.

But I have 2 different custom fonts installed in each one.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have always been curious what people with multiple kindles do with the second one. Right now I have on Kindle three special offers and I like the newest Kindle paperwhites however I promised myself that I would not buy another until four years was up and its only been one and a half years.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have always been curious what people with multiple kindles do with the second one. Right now I have on Kindle three special offers and I like the newest Kindle paperwhites however I promised myself that I would not buy another until four years was up and its only been one and a half years.
For me it's I have one upstairs and one downstairs. I use my Kindle Fire by my bed. It's just easier for me to pick up where I left off this way. I can sneak off to read with no one the wiser as if I was carrying my Kindle around they might give me the evil eye.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I adore my K3 and, given the direction Amazon seems to be heading, would love to buy a spare but my husband would freak! I'm not sure but it may have something to do with the iPad I bought, out of the blue, earlier in the year
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
Quote:
My K3 with lighted cover stays in my purse and is my main reader. My DXG I use for days when I spend hours reading, mostly at home but i do tote around some.

Now my Nook ST stays in my purse when I have bought something from B&N. I stopped purchasing from Amazon but I have a huge Kindle library.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
sporran
sporran began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1,Kindle K3 3g
Don't know if it's anything to worry about, the kindle 3g keyboard on amazon uk is now showing 7 to 9 weeks dispatch date! First time it has not been in stock for a while...
sporran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Talking It's ALIIIVE

Hi All
My spare K3 just arrived.
Charging, firmware upgrading, BUT
My primary K3 is serial B006 (live in Denmark, Europe)
But THIS new baby is B00A !!!!
Read about the difference years ago, but can't remember.
This might be to my advantage, as far I remember.
Never mind. Just need a spare in case my primary dies.

Hmmm - I wonder when I'm going to mess up with manual firmware upgrades to these 2 babies

Note to myself(s): Never ever ever etc. mess with firmware when stressed, drunk, unconcentrated !!
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiight

Thanks for your comments.
The above just MIGHT trigger more

PS. A bit scary how fast the new baby is with NO books on it.
Ah well - 1500 books on primary might a bit much.
BUT Amazon promised up to 3000 books, right ?
Hmm, time to think. But NO changes what so ever to primary.
Guess why ?

PPS. Stop Calibre before connecting the new baby !!
Things really gets screwed up !!
Cheers,

Last edited by pchrist7; 09-20-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added PPS
Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
tango7
fully engaged
tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, kindle touch
how much we talking for these spares?
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango7 View Post
how much we talking for these spares?
Cowboom (which I think is owned by Best Buy) has used K3 3Gs for $79.99

http://www.cowboom.com/product/903010

Last edited by JoHunt; 09-20-2012 at 11:01 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
This thread makes me smile because I really thought I was the only one buying a "spare" Kindle Keyboard. I was able to secure a slightly used one from someone on KindleBoards who was selling a WiFi +3G for $80.

It is in great shape and has no ads. I did this 2 years ago. My original KK WiFi +3G went kaput. However, earlier last year I had purchased a WiFi only from someone on KB for $60. I kept in my bedroom nightstand, charging periodically. As soon as my original one went down, I pulled that puppy out, re-loaded all my books from Calibre and kept the party going.

Call me paranoid, but I like knowing I have a spare.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
I have always been curious what people with multiple kindles do with the second one.
I bought a KK-3g a week or so after this model was released, a couple of years ago. I picked up a second KK-3g with special offers after I got tired of leaving my first KK-3g at the office. The second one became my work reader and I was able to leave the first one at home on the nightstand. I really liked the Whispersync over 3g as we are not allowed to connect personal devices to the company wifi.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
pchrist7
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Call me paranoid, but I like knowing I have a spare.
Hi chilady1 !
Your original post actually helped me getting "paranoid" !
(Ahh well - the firmware upgrade was the biggest trigger-what if ? )

It might be possible for me in the future to buy the PaperWhite thingy.
But ... it's a touchy thingy , eeww
(well in other situations I definately DON't mind the touchy concept )
A backup/recovery plan was needed !
So , it´s here.
Hope it works out ok.
What did you do ?
Leave the spare "blank" or did you copy everything from K3.primary to K3.spare ?
Just wondering
How to keep these 2 babies either in sync, or absolutely different (calibre)

Cheers,
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Hi chilady1 !
Your original post actually helped me getting "paranoid" !
(Ahh well - the firmware upgrade was the biggest trigger-what if ? )

It might be possible for me in the future to buy the PaperWhite thingy.
But ... it's a touchy thingy , eeww
(well in other situations I definately DON't mind the touchy concept )
A backup/recovery plan was needed !
So , it´s here.
Hope it works out ok.
What did you do ?
Leave the spare "blank" or did you copy everything from K3.primary to K3.spare ?
Just wondering
How to keep these 2 babies either in sync, or absolutely different (calibre)

Cheers,
First, let me apologize if my paranoia spilled over and created paranoia for you. LOL! That was surely not my intent.

To answer your questions on what did I do with the spare. I left it blank and kept in charged until such time as it was called into ACTION! Once my original KK with 3G died (a painful death) - the KK WiFi only to the rescue.

Plugged it into Calibre, downloaded the books that were on my original KK (I have a custom column that lets me know what is on my Kindle. I know when you plug your device into Calibre, it reads what is on the Kindle. I just replicate that column so when the device IS NOT plugged in - I can see the same thing). This was a life saver.

Off I went - back up reading with about a 2 hour interruption time. This includes the time it took me to get from my Mother's house where my Kindle died and re-load all the books from my original Kindle onto the spare.

I don't manage two Kindles at the same time. For me, that is too much! So I don't sync the books between the two. I am only using one, and the other spare just sits until needed. Hope that helps.

P.S. Once they stop making the Kindle Keyboard (my fav) - I will probably use a regular Kindle $69.00 for my spare.

Last edited by chilady1; 09-20-2012 at 02:49 PM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote