Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #17956
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I finished Logan's Run by William F Nolan and George Johnson. I wanted to compare it to the movie. The movie was better. The domed city makes more sense. The book does mention how the youth only society was established although 21yo was cutoff. The book was only about 130pgs so it was light on the details thus why there was little in the movie.
Rated generous C [3 stars].

Next is He Who Whispers by John Dickson Carr. One of my favorite authors.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #17957
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Vika's Avenger by Lawrence Watt-Evans.
An enjoyable revenge/mystery story with an interesting backdrop. If he decided to do a follow-up, I'd definitely buy it. (But not because of any cliff-hanger. This book is a story complete in itself.)

Next I read another recent purchase, Among Others by Jo Walton

An absolutely wonderful diary narrative of a teenage SF/Fantasy fan and her involvement with magic. Very highly recommended. A 5+/5 book for me, one of only three this year.

In short, Among Others turns out to be really brill.

Hmm.... I've given 5 stars to all of Jo Walton's works that I've read so far. Impressive!

Next up: Thrice Bound by Roberta Gellis. From a recent purchase to my oldest unread purchase, from April 2002!

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-20-2013 at 08:47 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #17958
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Reading A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham now.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #17959
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Next I'm going to be visiting the Australian roaring twenties with Death At Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher #4) by Kerry Greenwood.
I have a couple of the Phryne Fisher books queued up on my Kindle. And, I'm enjoying watching the series (Miss Fisher's Mysteries) on my local PBS station.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #17960
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ah, I'm glad to hear that the Phryne Fisher series is making to US PBS stations. For a while they had been available in Canada on our equivalent of PBS, but not in the US.

I'm looking forward to the second season starting in a few weeks.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #17961
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries will be available on DVD in the US on Nov 1st.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #17962
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
They have been available for some time on Amazon in both DVD and Blu-Ray. No streaming yet, however.

And Season 2 should be starting on BC's Knowledge Network on or about November 1st. Not sure when those episodes will be available for purchase.

IAC, the series is highly recommended in book, audio book, or video format.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #17963
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The 10, 000 Year Explosion by Gregory Cochran & Henry Harpending. A fascinating non-fiction science book on evolution.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #17964
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
They have been available for some time on Amazon in both DVD and Blu-Ray. No streaming yet, however.

And Season 2 should be starting on BC's Knowledge Network on or about November 1st. Not sure when those episodes will be available for purchase.

IAC, the series is highly recommended in book, audio book, or video format.
It's not available for rental on Blockbuster or Netflix until Nov 1st. Evidently, hoping the delay will boost DVD sales.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #17965
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
It's not available for rental on Blockbuster or Netflix until Nov 1st. Evidently, hoping the delay will boost DVD sales.
I rented the DVDs back in June from Netflix (in USA).

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #17966
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Love your new head wear, Alan. Intimidating.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #17967
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool new head wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Love your new head wear, Alan. Intimidating.
I'm having it surgically removed on the Friday after next. By the way yours is the most attractive cat-themed Avatar I've ever seen.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #17968
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I finished Mort by Terry Pratchett. It was enjoyable and brisk by my standards with many laugh-out-loud moments.

I got the $2.99 Kindle deal on Christopher Moore's Fool, a favorite of mine. I believe I will re-read it (read from the library a long time ago), especially since it came with a preview of Serpent of Venice.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #17969
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well, after struggling through the first half of L. Neil Smith's "Forge of the Elders" I'm pleased to say that it's now taking a turn for the better, but goodness me, I feel like I've been reading it forever! My Kindle informs me that I'm now 59% of the way through.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #17970
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I rented the DVDs back in June from Netflix (in USA).

My mistake. Streaming will be available Nov 1st. I forgot Netflix assumes everyone streams only.

However, it's not available at Blockbuster in any format.