Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #16
jamieo
jamieo began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I am having major issues with my new Nook WIFI also ... I bought one this afternoon and could not get it to connect to my home network ... I called tech support & after an hour, their suggestion was to exchange it for another one. I did .. came back home and went through the process again. I could NEVER get it to register, however, I COULD get online through the browser. I went back to the store and we were able to get it to register there. After coming back home ... I am experiencing the same problems. I can browse web sites, connect to the store and so on, however when I try to make a purchase, I get a message that says "Processing your order" ... this lasted for almost a half hour and it never actually completes the purchase.

So something else is wrong ... I am using an Apple Airport Extreme base station and it's working with no problems ... my Macbook and iPhone are able to connect without any problems. I've tried different security options on my base station, without luck so far. I even tried connecting to my neighbor's network, however, the signal strength was pretty low and it did not work.

Any suggestions? This is driving me crazy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	setup.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	54410  

Last edited by jamieo; 07-01-2010 at 11:57 PM.
jamieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieo View Post
I am having major issues with my new Nook WIFI also ... I bought one this afternoon and could not get it to connect to my home network ... I called tech support & after an hour, their suggestion was to exchange it for another one. I did .. came back home and went through the process again. I could NEVER get it to register, however, I COULD get online through the browser. I went back to the store and we were able to get it to register there. After coming back home ... I am experiencing the same problems. I can browse web sites, connect to the store and so on, however when I try to make a purchase, I get a message that says "Processing your order" ... this lasted for almost a half hour and it never actually completes the purchase.

So something else is wrong ... I am using an Apple Airport Extreme base station and it's working with no problems ... my Macbook and iPhone are able to connect without any problems. I've tried different security options on my base station, without luck so far. I even tried connecting to my neighbor's network, however, the signal strength was pretty low and it did not work.

Any suggestions? This is driving me crazy
Sounds like there is something wrong with your B&N account.
Do you have a valid credit card registered in your account? And have you made that credit card the default credit card?
Try buying an e-book on the B&N website (just test a free e-book). Does that work?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
FYI - A google search of "WEP SHARED KEY NOOK" finds a thread that shows that WEP Shared Key worked in Version 1.2 yet failed with Version 1.3

Bug or Feature???
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #19
jamieo
jamieo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Sounds like there is something wrong with your B&N account.
Do you have a valid credit card registered in your account? And have you made that credit card the default credit card?
Try buying an e-book on the B&N website (just test a free e-book). Does that work?
Oh, all of my information was set up properly... I've been using the account for years from BN.com without any problems and I double-checked everything when I was trying to set up the nook the first time. It appears to be a problem with the nook software itself. Hopefully the developers will work out these issues in a future update.
jamieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #20
JDługosz
JDługosz is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post

Is anyone else successfully using WEP on a WiFi only Nook running 1.4?
I believe I am. I'm using an old protocol because of an old laptop in the house. WEP was the first one out, right?
JDługosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
Chris44641
Chris44641 began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Nook Home Wi Fi hookup

If you have a Linksys Router.
Go into your router's security setup to the MAC address list.
Write down the IP MAC address of your NOOK, this is found in it's settings page.
Enter the MAC address into the router's MAC list and save.
You will be able to connect via WiFi.

Chris44641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #22
BestTim
BestTim began at the beginning.

Device: nook wi-fi
I had the same issue with my new Nook. I did change my router from Shared to open and then I could connect.

of course I then had to change all my other wireless devices, notebooks, PS3 etc. to work on open.
BestTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #23
washueik10
washueik10 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I had the same problem what i did was switch my network key from a wep to a wpa2 mixed and that did it I think it has something to do with the nook not being able to select that specific network key.
washueik10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #24
delder_9
delder_9 began at the beginning.

I turned off the firewall in my netgear router and was able to finnally connect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
I just received my new Nook WiFi today. I cannot connect to my home WiFi service. I CAN connect to the public library's open WiFi service and can checkout The Daily and browse the eBook store via the open WiFi service.

My home WiFi service is WEP. The first key of the four available is the one in use. I have 6 "computers" that use this:
- 3 Windows Vista
- 1 Windows XP
- 1 Mac OSX
- 1 Nokia 770 running Linux

The "Network Authentication" in Windows Networking is "Shared", the encryption is "WEP", the SSID is broadcast - and I am able to see it and select it on the Nook. The signal strength as measured by the Nook is "Excellent".

I enter the 10 hex character encryption code - and it fails. I tried upper case for the A - F characters and it still fails. I tried ASCII and the "passphrase" that was used to generate the encryption keys and that fails too (I did not expect this to work).

The Nook is Registered and the battery is 95%. I have tried it on battery alone as well as plugged in to AC.

The WiFi Router is a Netgear WPN824v3. It is setup as a DHCP server. I am NOT filtering MAC addresses.

Anyone have any suggestions?
delder_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #25
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
Well, I too found the WiFi problematical. A part seems to have been the annoyance of the "keyboard" and it tendency -- with me anyway -- to double enter a character. I finally got it to work. Try a simple encryption sequence of all letters. It'd be better if they left the characters exposed so you could see mistakes.

I was concerned it wouldn't handle WPA or WAP2 but it does as it now finds the network.

Nook support seems unhelpful. Some of what they say is available doesn't match with what I am finding.

Good Luck
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote