Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 48
Karma: 42
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern New York
Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
Augen TB SD card problems

Ok. most of the issues with TB are ones I can live with, especially with what you get for under $100.

However, I am beginning to notice problems with my SD card (also the charger connection, but I will leave that for another time);

Close to half the time I turn on TB, it doesn't show the little green SD icon at the bottom of the page, and there is no SD card listed in the library. Once in a while, just turning it off and on will cause it to notice the SD card, but not a lot of the time. Then I need to pop the SD card out and back in- at which point everything is fine. I have a regular SD card in there, not a micro, but I would think the stress on pushing it in and out on a micro card might end up damaging the card, since that is where you push to pop it.

Interestingly, even after popping the SD card in and out, I am able to use continue reading without any problem.

My other SD card related issue is that sometimes the text listing book files and titles, especially on the SD card, turns into gibberish, and sometimes while reading just prior to that, the page will freeze and no longer turn. Turning the reader off and on again has fixed that every time, but I do not understand why it happens, and I'd like to know if anyone else has had similar problems.
Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dixieknits's Avatar
 
Posts: 283
Karma: 1011418
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I think someone offerred a possible solution for this in another thread.. We do NEED our own subforum.. I had this same thing happen with my Jetbook and reformatting the card corrected it. Also it sounds like you have a corrupt file in their causing all of the gibberish and a format will remove it. Try and check them before you reload the card.
I then used that card on my Augen for storing a large video file and it was still fat 16. I had problem with it being shown when connecting with a USB cable. I followed a tip and I reformatted it as NFTS and it is operating properly now. Can't hurt to give it a try.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.
 
gintzj's Avatar
 
Posts: 56
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque
Device: Nook Wifi model
Hi friends my first 8 mg card had your problem

windows said it was corupt It was a new card

I could not format it said bad card

I took it back to the store and got a replacement

Put is in and TB recognized it immediately

and connecting it shows my two extra sources

I store alot of book on the sd card

Keep smiling

Rebecca what you find about the "time"

Thank you

Jim
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 48
Karma: 42
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern New York
Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gintzj View Post
Hi friends my first 8 mg card had your problem

windows said it was corupt It was a new card

I could not format it said bad card

I took it back to the store and got a replacement

Put is in and TB recognized it immediately

and connecting it shows my two extra sources

I store alot of book on the sd card

Keep smiling

Rebecca what you find about the "time"

Thank you

Jim
Hi. I think the power/time issue is related to whether you turn off the power completely, or if you just tap the power control. If you just tap it, it doesn't seem to be losing time- if you power it off for a while, the time seems to slip some. I haven't been turning it off all the way lately, so I am not sure how quickly it loses time.

I am not having issues with the files being corrupt on my SD card- rather, TB seems to lose track of the SD card, so I cannot access anything on it. However, if I turn it on and off several times, it will find it. This is better than popping the card in and out a lot.

I have had the titles /file names get weird characters again a couple times- but I have probably used the book for over 45 hours or more now, and t
hat has happened only about 3 times total. Other issues are much more frequent.
Can you people tell me what speed SD card you were using, and what you changed to? Mine is a class 6.

Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough
 
kilohertz53's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 671
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harwichport, MA
Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscudder View Post
Ok. most of the issues with TB are ones I can live with, especially with what you get for under $100.

However, I am beginning to notice problems with my SD card (also the charger connection, but I will leave that for another time);

Close to half the time I turn on TB, it doesn't show the little green SD icon at the bottom of the page, and there is no SD card listed in the library. Once in a while, just turning it off and on will cause it to notice the SD card, but not a lot of the time. Then I need to pop the SD card out and back in- at which point everything is fine. I have a regular SD card in there, not a micro, but I would think the stress on pushing it in and out on a micro card might end up damaging the card, since that is where you push to pop it.

Interestingly, even after popping the SD card in and out, I am able to use continue reading without any problem.

My other SD card related issue is that sometimes the text listing book files and titles, especially on the SD card, turns into gibberish, and sometimes while reading just prior to that, the page will freeze and no longer turn. Turning the reader off and on again has fixed that every time, but I do not understand why it happens, and I'd like to know if anyone else has had similar problems.
Rebecca
I must say, you are far more patient and forgiving than I would be. I'd have returned or exchanged my TB if I experienced as many problems as you have with SD recognition and function. It sounds hardware related to me, and all the firmware updates in the world won't fix it.

I've used two different SD cards, both plain-vanilla Kingstons (512M & 2G), formatted to the default FAT 16 file system. My TB has never failed to see them, and has never messed up any files on them.

I have noticed a few software peculiarities here and there. A freshly formatted SD card inserted into the TB when it's turned off will have empty folders written to it when the TB is turned on (Digital Editions, My Books, Videos, Music, etc.). The Notes function will create and export a file to the SD card only once. Extra stuff you add to the Notes won't be exported to the SD card if you use the export function again, although the TB won't give you an error message. There's a "Default" function in the "Settings' menu that brings up a window that allows you to make a "backup" of your stuff before you reset the TB to "factory default", but the TB sees any SD card with the folders it created as "write protected" (as far as the TB is concerned). You can only write a backup file to a freshly formatted SD card that you insert after selecting the "export" function. The backup file is far too small to actually contain your data. I think it only writes directory information, and factory default probably just deletes the pointers to your data and not the data itself. (I didn't follow through with hitting the factory default button to test my theory, however.) These, of course, are just minor matters of clumsy programming and inadequate documentation. The intermittency you describe is far more serious.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
RadioMan52
Member
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
I must say, you are far more patient and forgiving than I would be. I'd have returned or exchanged my TB if I experienced as many problems as you have with SD recognition and function. It sounds hardware related to me, and all the firmware updates in the world won't fix it.

I've used two different SD cards, both plain-vanilla Kingstons (512M & 2G), formatted to the default FAT 16 file system. My TB has never failed to see them, and has never messed up any files on them.

I have noticed a few software peculiarities here and there. A freshly formatted SD card inserted into the TB when it's turned off will have empty folders written to it when the TB is turned on (Digital Editions, My Books, Videos, Music, etc.). The Notes function will create and export a file to the SD card only once. Extra stuff you add to the Notes won't be exported to the SD card if you use the export function again, although the TB won't give you an error message. There's a "Default" function in the "Settings' menu that brings up a window that allows you to make a "backup" of your stuff before you reset the TB to "factory default", but the TB sees any SD card with the folders it created as "write protected" (as far as the TB is concerned). You can only write a backup file to a freshly formatted SD card that you insert after selecting the "export" function. The backup file is far too small to actually contain your data. I think it only writes directory information, and factory default probably just deletes the pointers to your data and not the data itself. (I didn't follow through with hitting the factory default button to test my theory, however.) These, of course, are just minor matters of clumsy programming and inadequate documentation. The intermittency you describe is far more serious.
kilohertz53,
Augen missed the boat on the SD card issue and the clock implementation big time; it looks like they implemented the "stock" development code for the SD card and that was only good for fat 16 and only up to one gig.

All of my Old" under 1gig SD cards work 100% after they are reformatted to fat 16, BTW most new SD cards are pre formatted as fat 32 to keep everyone happy.

It sure looks like the Augen programming crew can now assume the title of "The Gang That Could Not Even Shoot Straight if they even Tried " and the Hollywood management team getting the FIU Marketing MBA “FUBAR” award.

One can only wonder what the so called August 30th Update will bring, or is it just a “fix” for the page alignment fubar in the July “fix.”?


Radioman52 Over and Out....
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SD card problems Jstin Ectaco jetBook 3 09-22-2010 01:26 PM
Augen SD Card/USB Cable/Icons dixieknits More E-Book Readers 15 08-15-2010 11:35 PM
anyone have problems with the SD card? nimblem Astak EZReader 5 03-14-2010 05:18 AM
memory card problems hnoto Calibre 4 12-16-2009 06:39 PM
SD Card Problems Grimulkan iRex 3 03-24-2009 12:10 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.