Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
Actually, I had the same problem, charging only to a maximum of 87% or less (using two different usb charges and the 4 usb ports of my home computer and the 3 of my portable, so I doubt it is a fault in the USB chargers) and issued a ticket at IREX, their response was that this was not normal and that I should send my reader for testing.
I strongly suggest that everyone with this kind of problem should at least create a ticket describing his problem at IREX. In my case I got a reply withing one day.
I have send now my IREX for inspection and I'm waiting now to get it back. One side remark, on this moment I'm already waiting for 2 weeks, since they have confirmed that they have received my unit (maybe it is not so good idea to suggest creation of a ticket because it would probably increase the backlog ). Is there someone here with some experience of the repair time at IREX?, 2 weeks is a long time to wait.

Thanks

Mertens Marc
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
You're probably right. I was pretty sure I'd read at least one case about someone with the 80% problem switching chargers and then it would go up to 100%. However, going back and reading a thread about it again, I see in that case it was ultimately diagnosed as a battery problem.

Maybe I was just confusing a couple battery related issues.

Odd behavior with buttons and other similar issues during charging do seem to be related to non-standard chargers though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Marc Mertens: two weeks is bad news for me! It has been just two days since they received my device. The reason I've sent it was that it did not go up to 12-14 hours of battery life others are experiencing after 1.5 update, 8 hours was around the max I could see. I'm already missing my device, since reading from the monitor kills my eyes And yes, two weeeks is a long time for me too. I hope I can get my device back sooner than that, and good luck with yours.
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
I have just received notification from IREX that my dr1000 is repaired and is send to me, hope I will have it back at monday . After all I think that IREX was very correct in the handling of the issue. For those who have problems in charging the dr1000 to 100% full capacity, I recommend opening a ticket, in my case the motherboard had to be replaced (but test before some other usb ports of your computer for the charging as I think it is indeed possible that some wall usb chargers do not give the correct voltage).

Marc
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #20
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Sounds good, keep us posted on how well it works out.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #21
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
I guess that's related to EMI (eletro magnetic interference) generated from USB cable or laptop. I've once had my DR under fluorescent light, and the high EMI from the light made the capacitive sensor unusable.
My view of the charging and button issue:
- Regardless the battery status the battery is full charged. It is just a software bug. The charging is provided by hardware in case that more than 5V is at input (USB). LiIon battery are full charged at 4.2V and the source of the input is not important
- Button become unused while charging due to the grounding the reader through the mains. Anyway if the AC/DC adapter is isolated the parasitic leackage current flows, reader is not floating anymore, it is grounded. User is also grounded so the capacitance sense is not adequate anymore. Try to charge the reader with laptop which is not plugged to the mains - buttons will work normally.
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #22
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
My DR went back to the factory for the stylus problem. They replaced the motherboard and had it back to me within a week. While the stylus behaves better, the maximum charge reported is still 89 %, even though the LED turns green indicating a full charge. That is why I believe it is software bug in calculating the remaining charge.

Last edited by tjdean256; 03-27-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typos
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #23
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
My DR went back to the factory for the stylus problem. They replaced the motherboard and had it back to me within a week. While the stylus behaves better, the maximum charge reported is still 89 %, even though the LED turns green indicating a full charge. That is why I believe it is software bug in calculating the remaining charge.
FYI, someone posted recently on the iRex forum that they opened a ticket about the 89% charge problem, and was told it was a bug that they found in the battery driver (which reports the charge level) and can occur on "some" batteries. iRex says they are currently testing a patch, and if all goes well it'll be in the next firmware update.

See this thread.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #24
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I have had the same problem with all chargers including the ereader outfitter charger. No problem with the middle button or the bottom group. It is the side arrows that stop working. In no particular order when I touch the top left arrow or bottom right arrows they also light up solid. I saw this the first day I got the reader and mentioned it in a writeup. At that time I didn't make the connection with the charger. It was only later that it became obvious.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote