Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2022, 12:33 AM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos View Post
If I ‘repair the account’ or allow the device to sync to fix the problem, I can read purchased books, but lose all reading progress and annotations.
That's normal for the repair the account procedure since the database is rebuilt and other information is wiped. I've never synced a Kobo ereader to fix a problem but that should not wipe the database but if you deleted device.xml, it's likely to wipe the annotations stored in the Digital Editions directory.

If you are using calibre and the KoboUtility plugin, you might want to look at setting up a database backup.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:03 PM   #32
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
Hmm...but where is this file?
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2022, 12:51 AM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm...but where is this file?
Which file?

The database? KoboReader.sqlite lives in the .kobo directory.

The activation file? It's a hidden file that lives in the .adobe-digital-editions directory in the root of the exposed storage.

The Adobe annotation files? They live in the Digital Editions directory in the root of the exposed storage.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:08 AM   #34
seanos
Zealot

I did look in the .adobe-digital-editions folder, but there was no activation file. Is this separate from Kobo activation? If so, it’s possible I’ve never done it.

I followed the steps in this tutorial, copying everything except the .kobo folder, then adding the edited version of KoboReader.sqlite, so that would mean the device.xml was the one copied from the Aura H2O.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:02 AM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I did look in the .adobe-digital-editions folder, but there was no activation file. Is this separate from Kobo activation? If so, it’s possible I’ve never done it.

I followed the steps in this tutorial, copying everything except the .kobo folder, then adding the edited version of KoboReader.sqlite, so that would mean the device.xml was the one copied from the Aura H2O.
Activation.xml is a hidden file and would be created when you connect your Kobo to your computer, ADE is run and you activate your Kobo. The only reason I have it present is was for library borrows before Kobo ereaders could sync borrowed library books. Now I only worry about it for those few occasions where the Kobo store either does not have the ebook or has a different edition in which case the download and sideload procedure is still needed.
Advert
Old 12-01-2022, 01:26 AM   #36
seanos
Zealot

I don’t feel like this is getting me any closer to my goal. It’s not clear that Adobe activation is required for transferring annotations/reading progress. It’s certainly not needed to actually make annotations.

It’s a pity Kobo don’t make this easy.