Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Kobo seems to appeal to a different sort of user who isn't afraid of doing something as trivially simple as replacing a file on their device.

Seriously, if you can sideload a book onto your Kobo, then you can add a custom dictionary.
Let's see you find a dictionary that's up-to-date and as good as what Amazon supplies that is easy to convert/install.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #62
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question

You all are very lucky. I've been trying to sync since early this morning, and nary a new dictionary - I'm in France and bought my Kobos (Libra and Forma, plus a Clara I have given and still manage) from Fnac. Anybody from France got the new dictionaries?

JSWolf kindly posted the English dictionary. Could others post others?

I use French, English, German, Italian and Spanish, and German-French, German-English, Spanish-French, Spanish-English, and would English-French and Italian-French and/or Italian-English if there were any decent ones.

Edit: It would be good to add those links to the Index of Custom Dictionaries (first post last edited by AlPe 18th Dec 2018). The "Direct Links to Kobo Dictionaries" are very old.

Last edited by anacreon; 10-01-2020 at 08:56 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #63
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Seriously, if you can sideload a book onto your Kobo, then you can add a custom dictionary.
You have to first find one, of good enough quality, in a suitable format.

Of all of the dictionaries available for the Kindle, how many have an equivalent version that could be converted and loaded on to a Kobo?

This looks like a really good upgrade for Kobo dictionaries.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #64
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I was really thrilled this morning at about 6.30am in the UK to see the OED is now the English dictionary, as on the Kindle. An excellent move.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
You all are very lucky. I've been trying to sync since early this morning, and nary a new dictionary - I'm in France and bought my Kobos (Libra and Forma, plus a Clara I have given and still manage) from Fnac. Anybody from France got the new dictionaries?

JSWolf kindly posted the English dictionary. Could others post others?

I use French, English, German, Italian and Spanish, and German-French, German-English, Spanish-French, Spanish-English, and would English-French and Italian-French and/or Italian-English if there were any decent ones.

English

French
German
Italian
Spanish

German-English
Spanish-English
English-French
Italian-English

German-French
Spanish-French
Italian-French

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-01-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 09:04 AM   #66
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Owl's dictionaries are very good. I use (in the custom-dict folder now) the English (54 650 Ko), German Duden-Universalwörterbuch (11 361 Ko) and German-English (32 312 Ko).
Old 10-01-2020, 09:06 AM   #67
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You're the best! Many, Many, Many thanks.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Owl's dictionaries are very good. I use (in the custom-dict folder now) the English (54 650 Ko), German Duden-Universalwörterbuch (11 361 Ko) and German-English (32 312 Ko).
Are there Owl dictionaries for the following?

German-French
Spanish-French
Italian-French
Old 10-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #69
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I probably shouldn't do this, but I feel strangely compelled ...

By my reckoning there are 8000+ more headwords in this new Kobo Oxford English than there are in the Kindle's equivalent Oxford English.
There are 275150 headwords in the new English dictionary. There are also 131119 of the v3 prefix exceptions, and there's a subtle change to the format of the words trie I didn't notice earlier involving two additional numbers. I'll have to look into that more later this week.

There also seems to be another change with v3 dictionaries in 15676 compared to 15672 which I didn't notice during my brief look at the changes. The prefix exceptions now appear to support referencing a prefix instead of an entire word. In other words, prefix exceptions really are now prefix exceptions, not word redirects. This would also explain why some of my test cases I didn't expect to be fixed by the support for multiple prefix exception entries for a word started working. This is even better than I originally expected of the changes in 15676 (thanks Kobo!), and I think I'll be able to easily work around any bug now, and this even allows for a bunch of crazy workarounds if there happen to be any bugs. This also means it'll take me a bit longer for the v3 support in dictutil since I'll have to go through everything carefully again.

Edit: It also appears the <a name="... matching is more robust.

Edit 2: Unlike the old one, the HTML in the new English dictionary is actually well-formed. Also, unlike the old dictionaries, based on the checks I've implemented in dictutil so far, there doesn't appear to be bugs with word matching in it.

Edit: If I'm reading this correctly, I it means words with this new style of prefix exceptions won't work on 15672. This would corroborate with the file modification times in the zip being September 28.

Last edited by geek1011; 10-01-2020 at 10:06 AM.
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #70
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
I also have received the new dictionary by synch this morning. The Oxford Dictionary of English (ODE) is a gem. As something of a dictionary fanatic, let me also note that although this is indeed from Oxford and is indeed a dictionary of English, it is not the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), which is the gigantic multi-volume set that I love to use for digging into etymologies and seeing early instances of usage. The Wikipedia entry on the ODE makes the distinction clearer:

"The Oxford Dictionary of English (ODE) is a single-volume English dictionary published by Oxford University Press, first published in 1998 as The New Oxford Dictionary of English (NODE). The word "new" was dropped from the title with the Second Edition in 2003.[1] This dictionary is not based on the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and should not be mistaken for a new or updated version of the OED. It is a completely new dictionary which strives to represent as faithfully as possible the current usage of English words. The Revised Second Edition contains 355,000 words, phrases, and definitions, including biographical references and thousands of encyclopaedic entries. The Third Edition was published in August 2010, with some new words, including "vuvuzela".

"It is currently the largest single-volume English-language dictionary published by Oxford University Press."

I love the new dictionary! What an upgrade to the mediocre offering Kobo used to put out. Many thanks to all at Kobo who were involved in this and, needless to say, all the people here who have worked so hard on dictionary issues, helping guys like me immeasurably.

Now if we can just get better annotation exporting on the table. I do patch my devices to add the export option to my menu, but I find the results uneven. But that's for a different thread...

Paul
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #71
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are there Owl dictionaries for the following?

German-French: I have what I found in the index: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=390, not by Owl
Spanish-French: can't find the link, don't know by whom
Italian-French: don't have it
The index thread is very long, and skimming through the first half for you, I found the above link, and one I didn't have, by Owl, for English-French (but stupidly didn't copy the link, just downloaded).

Last edited by anacreon; 10-01-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:56 AM   #72
rashomon
rashomon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Where do I have to copy dictionaries files and do I have to unzip it (in a separate folder)?
I tried to copy dicthtml_EN.zip to ".kobo\dict\", but the reader is not detecting (when selecting word)
rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #73
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilster View Post
let me also note that although this is indeed from Oxford and is indeed a dictionary of English, it is not the Oxford English Dictionary (OED)

Paul
I'm pretty sure there will never be another dead tree OED, which is why I'm glad my library keeps their subscription up-to-date. It's why Kobo's previous abysmal dictionaries didn't bother me much, since the ne plus ultra is bookmarked in my browser. And A-Z all MUCH more accessible than having to flick through heavy books!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #74
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashomon View Post
Where do I have to copy dictionaries files and do I have to unzip it (in a separate folder)?
I tried to copy dicthtml_EN.zip to ".kobo\dict\", but the reader is not detecting (when selecting word)
The English dictionary is named dicthtml.zip (as it always has been). You'll also need to do a reboot if you've changed anything in subdirectories .kobo\dict\ or .kobo\custom-dict\
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #75
rashomon
rashomon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Does custom dictionary (from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196931) goes to ".kobo\custom-dict\"?
rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release