Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2022, 03:10 PM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I don't understand the clutter issue. Are you guys looking in the calibre library directory? I have a Formats column in calibre and that's mainly the only time I see both formats.
I see them in the book details window.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:44 PM   #32
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's been rare but there have been times after converting a book from mobi or azw3 to epub that I've screwed things up cleaning up its formatting and have needed to start over and re-convert it, but probably not after beginning to read it. My C drive is only about half full so for me there's no need to reduce the clutter. I do have a Finished column which I could use for knowing when to delete the mobi and azw3 formats but it just seems like unnecessary busy work to me.

If I was running low on space I have a 6t drive that I could move the calibre library to. I also like having the azw3 and mobi formats for telling me that they're purchased books, differentiating them from library and PG books I downloaded in epub. (I used to have a Source column for where I got the book from but was too lazy to keep it updated.)

Last edited by hobnail; 11-29-2022 at 05:48 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:46 PM   #33
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
As mentioned already, only you can answer that question. All my mobi's have been converted to azw3 to take advantage of the better font choices than mobi provides. If I get something in an epub format, I leave that until I'm ready to read, then convert to azw3. If it reads fine, I delete the epub.
Edited to add: I converted and then deleted all the mobi files.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-06-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:38 AM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
It's been rare but there have been times after converting a book from mobi or azw3 to epub that I've screwed things up cleaning up its formatting and have needed to start over and re-convert it, but probably not after beginning to read it. My C drive is only about half full so for me there's no need to reduce the clutter. I do have a Finished column which I could use for knowing when to delete the mobi and azw3 formats but it just seems like unnecessary busy work to me.

If I was running low on space I have a 6t drive that I could move the calibre library to. I also like having the azw3 and mobi formats for telling me that they're purchased books, differentiating them from library and PG books I downloaded in epub. (I used to have a Source column for where I got the book from but was too lazy to keep it updated.)
I'm not running low on disk space. I just have no use for mobis and no need to keep them. As I buy my books from several different stores and don't read library books, it's not formats that tell me where I got a book. I have a custom column for that.

I don't delete azw3, as it can be edited and is useful to me as a source format. Mobi isn't.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:07 AM   #35
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
With Amazon no longer supporting .mobi files, I'm wondering if I should delete them from my Calibre library. Is there any need for me to keep them? I rarely transfer books to my Kindle via USB and I can always convert on the fly if I had a sudden need for such a transfer. What are you doing with your .mobi files?

The Kindle can still read mobi files, it just doesn't work if you send it over the Kindle email address.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:38 AM   #36
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The Kindle can still read mobi files, it just doesn't work if you send it over the Kindle email address.
I’m aware, thanks.

Quote:
I rarely transfer books to my Kindle via USB and I can always convert on the fly if I had a sudden need for such a transfer.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
As mentioned already, only you can answer that question. All my mobi's have been converted to azw3 to take advantage of the better font choices than mobi provides. If I get something in an epub format, I leave that until I'm ready to read, then convert to azw3. If it reads fine, I delete the epub.
I would keep the ePub even if I used a Kindle in case I someday wanted to switch from a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:00 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm not running low on disk space. I just have no use for mobis and no need to keep them. As I buy my books from several different stores and don't read library books, it's not formats that tell me where I got a book. I have a custom column for that.

I don't delete azw3, as it can be edited and is useful to me as a source format. Mobi isn't.
Sometimes Mobi is the only source format there is because stupid people use Kindle Create.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #39
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
With Amazon no longer supporting .mobi files, I'm wondering if I should delete them from my Calibre library. Is there any need for me to keep them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Quote:
I’m aware, thanks.

I'm confused by the premise of the thread. How does Amazon's end of support of emailing mobis impact the decision to keep mobis one way or the other, and if it's just a question using a feature that no longer exists, why is there a question at all?

Quote:
Still, I don't hoard the stuff I'm sure I won't ever need.
Are true hoarders aware they are keeping things they will never need, or is the nature of hoarder to never be sure they will never need something?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:59 PM   #40
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm confused by the premise of the thread. How does Amazon's end of support of emailing mobis impact the decision to keep mobis one way or the other, and if it's just a question using a feature that no longer exists, why is there a question at all?
I apologize for the confusion.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Are true hoarders aware they are keeping things they will never need, or is the nature of hoarder to never be sure they will never need something?
I think very few people hoard everything in their life. I certainly don't, although I do hoard some things (like ebooks). So most hoarders must be aware that there are things they'll never need.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:27 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So most hoarders must be aware that there are things they'll never need.
I wouldn't wager any money on that. A few decades back, one resident living about a block from our complex had a house fire. The fire was evidently caused by spontaneous combustion in a collection of filled garbage bags that were in the basement. From the report and photos, the elderly woman living in the house had not disposed of anything for decades. And I do mean anything that entered that house never left. Fast food containers, used kleenex, community newspapers, worn out shoes, refundable and non-refundable bottles, etc.

Why do I hear Hotel California playing in the background...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:23 PM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I wouldn't wager any money on that. A few decades back, one resident living about a block from our complex had a house fire. The fire was evidently caused by spontaneous combustion in a collection of filled garbage bags that were in the basement. From the report and photos, the elderly woman living in the house had not disposed of anything for decades. And I do mean anything that entered that house never left. Fast food containers, used kleenex, community newspapers, worn out shoes, refundable and non-refundable bottles, etc.

Why do I hear Hotel California playing in the background...
Yeah, but those are extreme cases, and presumably mentally unbalanced. Most people with a tendency to hoard are not that far gone.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:32 AM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yeah, but those are extreme cases, and presumably mentally unbalanced. Most people with a tendency to hoard are not that far gone.
Hmm... Check for episodes of Hoarders. Hoarding seems to start with hoarding one item or class of items but seems to gradually extend itself to hoarding almost everything.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:01 AM   #45
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmm... Check for episodes of Hoarders. Hoarding seems to start with hoarding one item or class of items but seems to gradually extend itself to hoarding almost everything.
Well, no. I should know, because I'm a hoarder. But I've only hoarded certain items all my life and my hoarding has not spread to other areas. From what I've read here and elsewhere, most hoarders are like me. Those who hoard everything are the exception, not the rule.