Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
just got my Smart Q7

I'm posting from it right now, and I have'nt even switched from the Chinese firmware. It's a surprisingly useful device. It's fast, too.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Congrats Nate! I look forward to hearing further thoughts on the device.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been fiddling with it for the past couple hours, and I really like it. I have a couple of things to nitpick, but they're relatively minor.

It needs a case, though. It can't be held firmly (with one hand) without gripping the screen, and I'm afraid of dropping it while walking. Also, the curved back makes it far too easy for it to slip out of my fingers.

The screen is fingertip friendly. I'm reading with FBReader in full screen portrait mode, and all I have to do to turn the page is tap the lower half of the screen with my thumb.

The Q7 is a little too big and a little too heavy to be held in one hand. But it's about the right size to be held in both hands with my fingers interlaced.

The 3.0 firmware is pretty good. Frankly, it's a lot better than I expected. I still want WinCE, but the current Linux is a serious competitor. I might keep it instead.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

BTW, if the WinCE firmware is as good as the 3.0 one, I'm going to switch from my 10" Airpanel 100 to the Q7.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Nate,

Aren't you going to try out the mer 0.14 image for the Q7 now it's finally been ported ?
That's why I delayed my order.
Also, have you had any success with flash in your browser ?
If those two are resolved, I'm certainly joining the crowd
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Where can I find mer? I'll try it, but I have to warn you that I hate the Maemo gui.

As for flash, I'm currently trying to download and install it.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Nate, what do you think of the quality and reactivity of the touch screen and of the onscreen keyboard? is it easy to type with it?
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nate, can the screen be viewed without issue in full sunlight?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Congrats, Nate! I want one really badly now, LOL! Chris says wait til Christmas. I guess that wouldn't hurt, maybe the price will even go down.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

As I figure stuff out I will be posting a new thread for each new hint or trick.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
As I figure stuff out I will be posting a new thread for each new hint or trick.
Good! By the time I get one, I won't have to ask anyone anything, I can simply look it up here!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Is anyone else having trouble with the suspend? If I leave it suspended for too long it turns itself off.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Just thought I would take a moment and say that the finger friendly keyboard is okay. I still prefer a real one, though.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #14
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Just thought I would take a moment and say that the finger friendly keyboard is okay. I still prefer a real one, though.
I'd love to see a screenshot of the keyboard. The first review of the SmartQ 7 (from UMPC Portal) made it sound like the screen keyboard was a complete horror, but my impression is that the latest firmware has improved this. Also, do other people with this device find the screen keyboard OK?
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Is the touchscreen OK too? Does it react fast, or do you have touchscreen lag when typing fast?
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote