Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The topic does bring to mind something not family friendly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The topic does bring to mind something not family friendly.
Bragging or dreaming?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Bragging or dreaming?
Just wondering if the answer for anyone on MR is yes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #19
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I have a ChuWi Hi12 Win 10/Android tablet with the keyboard accessory. It has an Atom processor and the same 3:2 HiRes 12-inch screen as the Surface 3.

It's no speed demon but it does run Scrivener well enough. I do have to bump the text zoom up to 200% in the editor but otherwise it's fine. The touchpad is oversensitive, but I've spent hours in coffee shops and had no issues.

Also, I call it "Chewie."
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Crich: if your 10" one is big enough to write on, that gives me more reassurance for my 12". I just hope it's not going to have any other problems, like none working keys; but I can send it back within 30 days. It should arrive just after Christmas.

Keyboard problems can happen with any computer. Of course with usb ports you could always plug in an external keyboard and type on that if something happened down the road after the 30 days. I know how to take the keyboard of my little netbook out if I had to replace it. In fact I had to remove it to replace the HDD that went bad on me. You pull out the battery and there are 3 screws that you have to unscrew. Then you just pop the keyboard up from the front and all that connects the keyboard to the netbook is a ribbon cable. I found a video about it at youtube. Simple as pie. Of course there is likely to be some variety from computer to computer but I wager it is never very difficult to do with any netbook computer. I hope you have good luck with your new computer though. Merry (belated)Christmas and (early) Happy New Year!!
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #21
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Also removed and replaced keyboards on netbooks, not as hard as one would think and youtube has videos showing how to do just about anything.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
Also removed and replaced keyboards on netbooks, not as hard as one would think and youtube has videos showing how to do just about anything.
With Dell Latitudes (anyhow) it can be downright easy.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:55 AM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
With Dell Latitudes (anyhow) it can be downright easy.
Mine is a HP Mini and I did find it very easy to remove the keyboard (in order to access the HDD). It would probably take more time to scrounge a new keyboard than to replace it especially with those youtube videos that are out there.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I frequently write my blog on a 10 inch Lenovo tablet (Android). It seems ok, and I'm in my late 60's with even older eyes!

It's too small in my eyes for serious photographic editing (Not that there are many serious Android photo apps anyway!), but it is good enough to view photos and select them for blog illustrations.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Well it finally arrived! As to the screen size, it's just right for a dedicated writing laptop, any smaller would cause problems seeing the words in programs like Scrivener.

It doesn't play nicely with my homeplugs: I have wired internet because wifi gives me a headache. This means I'll have to sit next to the router to activate Scrivener. I think activating Word 2002 will be complex too.

At the moment, I'm working on turning it into a writing machine - loading my favourite programs etc and customising the appearance. So far all the installers have been loaded via thumb drive; I even had to install the net framework this way (The Novel Factory wouldn't work without it.)

It had been wiped of everything except Windows 7 Pro and some basic Works programs, such as Notepad. All the keys work (so far), and for the price it really isn't bad. I've installed Avast on it, but this won't install properly until I sit beside the router with the computer directly connected.

It's not pretty, just a traditional Thinkpad design, meant as a workhorse. Here's hoping that it lives up to the reputation they once had.

About keyboards: I'm considering having the keyboard on my main lappy replaced (Thinkpad L420) but I've also had a mechanical keyboard on order for ages.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:16 PM   #26
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I do almost everything on my iPad Air2, with a Logitech Type+ Keyboard. Thats only 10" so 12" is quite doable, for writing, and many other tasks. Enjoy your new laptop!
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #27
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
If I knew anyone with a 12 inch I will throw a dollar at it
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:41 PM   #28
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
If I knew anyone with a 12 inch I will throw a dollar at it
I made a funny and noone is laughing LOL
Old 12-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I made a funny and noone is laughing LOL
The problem is many devices got drowned at your comment so they can't laugh out loud.
Either that or the guys are thinking oh dang I don't get $1.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #30
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The problem is many devices got drowned at your comment so they can't laugh out loud.
Either that or the guys are thinking oh dang I don't get $1.

Tags
computer screen size, does size matter, writing computer