Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #31
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It is a pretty cover. It just doesn't fit what you are going for. It would be awesome for something like killer dreams, dreaming of you, man of my dreams. Wicked dreams. Wildest dreams. Not thriller or general fiction.
I agree, Cin. It is a pretty cover. Of course there are the other problems, but it's pretty.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #32
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ecstatic? Jeeze, if I looked like that, during moments of ecstasy, I'd be seeking help with a sex therapist. She just looks unconscious to me, or at best, drifting off to sleep with NOTHING on her mind. Eyes closed and vapid.

I concur. It does nothing for me, Gregg. I don't find it scary nor interesting in any fashion. My one impulse was to lean down and wipe the dirt (freckles) from her face, which I only realized were freckles after staring at it for a moment. Sorry.

Hitch
Hi Hitch. Yeah, I agree this one has all kinds of problems. I looked at that coverscritics.com site the last time, and I don't even like the covers he likes. Maybe I would put it over there but not using my real name.
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #33
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I don't think it's that bad. Obviously she's sleeping--as is reinforced by the title.

The pattern at the top of the image seems fussy. But my main criticism is that the whole cover seems too colorful.
Hi Catlady. Just fyi that pattern is in the original image. I of course could get rid of it but it was there to begin with.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #34
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I am starting to think Gregg is a closet masochist.
There you go! I've been found out!
Old 11-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Hi Hitch. Yeah, I agree this one has all kinds of problems. I looked at that coverscritics.com site the last time, and I don't even like the covers he likes. Maybe I would put it over there but not using my real name.
??? "He" likes? There's a group of folks who critique, not just one person. And there aren't any galleries of covers he likes or anything like that. Are you sure you went to the right site? It's here: http://covercritics.com/ .

It's not one person's advice. It's the advice of about ~20 different people. Not everyone critiques or offers advice on every cover. The people who critique are all in publishing, pretty much, and all of them are also ravenous readers. So you get solid advice from designers, and you get feedback as to whether or not they'd pick up your cover in a bookstore, on Amazon etc. For example, I'm not a cover designer--but I have pretty extensive experience in what sells, and what doesn't, and I'm the "Font Queen" over there. Others have power skills in compositing, or using photoshop, or, or or.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #36
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
??? "He" likes? There's a group of folks who critique, not just one person. And there aren't any galleries of covers he likes or anything like that. Are you sure you went to the right site? It's here: http://covercritics.com/ .

It's not one person's advice. It's the advice of about ~20 different people. Not everyone critiques or offers advice on every cover. The people who critique are all in publishing, pretty much, and all of them are also ravenous readers. So you get solid advice from designers, and you get feedback as to whether or not they'd pick up your cover in a bookstore, on Amazon etc. For example, I'm not a cover designer--but I have pretty extensive experience in what sells, and what doesn't, and I'm the "Font Queen" over there. Others have power skills in compositing, or using photoshop, or, or or.

Hitch

Thanks Hitch. Yeah, I'll use it. But can I use a pseudonym on the covers? For some reason I don't want all kinds of people looking at it.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks Hitch. Yeah, I'll use it. But can I use a pseudonym on the covers? For some reason I don't want all kinds of people looking at it.
Yes, of course. Most of the people who submit do so with assumed names, etc. And the author name or submitter name is not, AFAIK, a searchable function. Are you worried about search engines, or family, or...?

Hitch
Old 11-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It also screams...I NEED LESSONS ON HOW TO USE PHOTOSHOP!

Are you promoting your own book or is this someone you know?!!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:45 AM   #39
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Yes, of course. Most of the people who submit do so with assumed names, etc. And the author name or submitter name is not, AFAIK, a searchable function. Are you worried about search engines, or family, or...?

Hitch
I considered publishing under a pseudonym. I mean, it's pretty scary thinking you are about to "out" yourself to the world. But I didn't ... and found out that the world wasn't watching anyway. What a let down!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #40
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:

Hitch
Thanks Hitch. I don't know what I'm worried about. It just makes me uncomfortable. I'm just used to putting out (unless it's like in forums like this) what I consider to be a finished cover. I looked at the site again and just about every cover there looks terrible to me (except The Sacrifice).

I looked at the signup form. Obviously I'd use my real name there.

What do you mean by the author name or submitter name is not a searchable function?

I don't know, maybe I will use my real name because if I don't then I'll have to re-do whatever I've done to the name that's there. (And there's no guarantee that I'll be able to replicate it perfectly.)
Old 11-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #41
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I considered publishing under a pseudonym. I mean, it's pretty scary thinking you are about to "out" yourself to the world. But I didn't ... and found out that the world wasn't watching anyway. What a let down!
Yes, lol. This is right up there with the devout belief that "somebody" is going to STEAL YOUR BOOK. It must be a massive letdown when you find out that not only are they not stealing it, but that you can't even GIVE it away. ;-)

Hitch
Old 11-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #42
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

Start a new thread and we can help you come up with some killer names!

Old 11-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #43
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Start a new thread and we can help you come up with some killer names!

Oooooooooooooh, that would be FUN! I could use some fun, seriously....

Hitch
Old 11-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #44
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oooooooooooooh, that would be FUN! I could use some fun, seriously....

Hitch
Intentionally off-topic.

(Don't you just get tired of those clowns who come in and apologize for being off-topic and then post an off-topic post?!)

We can also help each other with recipes. (Well, actually, I'm the one that needs the help. It's now my responsibility to cook for the family once a week - it's always enough food for two days, though. I enjoy it.)

Someone start a thread in the Laundry Forum () and give us the link!
Old 11-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #45
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Intentionally off-topic.

(Don't you just get tired of those clowns who come in and apologize for being off-topic and then post an off-topic post?!)

We can also help each other with recipes. (Well, actually, I'm the one that needs the help. It's now my responsibility to cook for the family once a week - it's always enough food for two days, though. I enjoy it.)

Someone start a thread in the Laundry Forum () and give us the link!
Just once a week?
Slacker.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote