Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-21-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
lmslugo
lmslugo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original
Upgrading from original Kobo: Tablet or eReader???

I am about to upgrade my original Kobo. I have LOVED eReading, though to be honest, I do miss books. Books never don't load properly, or lose their power... LOL

BUT... That being said, I'm ready to upgrade. The Kobo just seems to be fumbling a lot more lately.

I am not opposed to switching to a Kindle, or any other device. I really just want the device to easily read and organize books on. I would like a touch screen, but its not a deal breaker (I don't know if they even make eReaders with touch screens). I looked at them at Christmas and don't remember much...

I don't care if I can play games, or surf the internet or watch movies. I want it to read books and be easy on my eyes. I was considering getting the Kobo tablet because I could then download the Kindle app to it and read a lot of my favorite indie authors (who only release books for Kindle).

To all my fellow book readers out there... Which one is best? Do I stick with an eInk eReader? Or should I suck it up and get a tablet? Is Kindle all its cracked up to be? Should I abandon Kobo and just go with Kindle? I just want to be able to read books easily. Maybe with a touch screen. And the option to read Kindle books would be great... I would like to stay in the $250-$350 range.

Last edited by lmslugo; 02-21-2014 at 01:25 AM.
lmslugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:46 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
You can get by with a lot cheaper than that, unless you particularly want a tablet for non-reading activities (or for graphic novels, etc).

Google Apprentice Alf, and you can free all your Kindle books (or ADE books, from Kobo etc), use Calibre for conversion, and you can then read your books from whatever source (apart from Apple, or a few other exceptions) on whatever ereader you want.

It's pretty hard to find a modern e-reader that doesn't have a touch screen. If you wanted to stick with Kobo, there's the Touch or Mini (non-lit), or the newer front-lit Glo, Aura HD, and Aura. I wouldn't go without front lighting nowadays. It improves the contrast of the screen immensely in a wide variety of dim and medium light conditions. The Glo is a little older and cheaper; the two newest are the two Auras, one with a 6 inch screen and the HD with a 7 inch.

With other readers, recommendations will depend on what country you're in, and on what your favoured features and dealbreakers are.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmslugo View Post
I don't know if they even make eReaders with touch screens
They don't make them without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmslugo View Post
I would like to stay in the $250-$350 range.
Lots of countries use dollars, so do specify. I'm guessing Canadian Dollars if you've got an early Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
you can free all your Kindle books (or ADE books, from Kobo etc)
Although obviously if you're going to do that you have to be prepared to take any consequences in the way of being banned from stores if they decide they don't like it. Given ADE/ePub is interchangeable between everyone else I'd still consider the locked ecosystem a negative on the kindle side.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
alieda
Library Student
alieda began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Kobo? Kindle? Tablet?

Each device has benefits and drawbacks. If you plan to download free e-books from your local library, keep in mind that some libraries (and most in Canada) don't support Kindle formats (.mobi), and you won't be able to borrow e-books if you have a Kindle, n that case. The strict DRM on library books also means that you would not be able to use Calibre to change the file type on library books.

If you plan to buy your books (or download free books), then your choice would depend on whether you prefer e-ink (and pure e-readers) for their simplicity, or if you could do with the option to check e-mail, read PDF articles, check social media, watch Netflix, play games, use cloud-based applications like Dropbox or Google calendar, and buy books (or borrow library books) directly using your device. Again, in the context of borrowing library books, above all devices I would recommend a Kobo Arc (or similar e-book tablet, like a Nook). This will allow you to borrow library books with a free app (Overdrive) that is easy to use, instead of having to transfer books from your computer using Adobe Digital Editions.

I also like that tablet e-readers allow you to easily change the color, size, brightness, and font of books, highlight, quote, make notes, and automatically look up words in the dictionary. If you enjoy graphic novels or magazines, the full-color format is definitely more enjoyable. It is also great to have a mobile device that is small enough to carry with you in case you need to look up a map, take a photo or video, make a skype call, or if you're just bored and want to do a crossword.

Good luck!
alieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alieda View Post
I also like that tablet e-readers allow you to easily change the color, size, brightness, and font of books, highlight, quote, make notes, and automatically look up words in the dictionary.
Note, also, that modern frontlit e-ink readers can do all of those except change colour.
Advert
Old 02-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
Although obviously if you're going to do that you have to be prepared to take any consequences in the way of being banned from stores if they decide they don't like it.
Given that no store will know that's really a non issue.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Given that no store will know that's really a non issue.
It would also be rather a shooting-in-the-foot, wouldn't it? "You chose to give us your money even though you didn't buy our branded reader (on which we make no profit)? Away with ye! Fie!"

Tags
ereader, kindle, kobo, tablet