Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
Rosenivy
Nameless Being

My ereader doesn't recognise certain accented characters.

Hi all,

I'm new to ereaders, so I'm not sure if this is normal: when reading on my T3 today, I came across the word déjà vu. It was displayed, however, as déj? vu.

Is this normal for a Sony T3?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Try changing the font, I find that Georgia has most special characters that I find in novels.

It's typical of all ereaders. If the font in use doesn't have those special characters as part of the set, then it can't possibly display the character.

If it's en embedded font that you can't change, then I'd say the publisher screwed up with that. Removing the DRM so you can strip the embedded fonts out will fix it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
This is My T1 does OK with these characters as far as displaying the text of a book. However, if I press a word with accents (like déjà ) for lookup in the American English dictionary, it ignores the accented characters and can't find the word, even if the word, accents included, is in the dictionary. If I look up the same word using the French dictionary, it works.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote