Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Bought the PRS-505 - some questions

Hardware questions:
I'm a long-term user of my two PRS-500s, and know them intimately . I want to make absolutely certain if these older AC chargers will charge my new PRS-505.

Also, does the NEW 505 charger work on 220 Volts, like these old chargers?

Software questions:
Does the new disk serve any purpose since I have the current software on my computer?

Will I still get the $10 off of a book purchase if I don't install from the NEW disk included with my purchase? (The language seems to emphasis the idea of new customers. Presumably, if I already have the software [from my 500s], I suppose I'm not a new customer?)

I'll probably put BOTH my new-looking 500s on sale here.

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have both the 500 and the 505 and the 500 charger works with the 505. I did not install the new software. I was not aware of the 10 dollar off book offer but when I authorized my 505 with Sony I did receive the 50 free classic book offer. According to Sony the 505 is rated at 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.26A.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hardware questions:

Software questions:
Does the new disk serve any purpose since I have the current software on my computer?
There are software differences between the two devices. The 500 requires a USB driver where the 505 use the OS native driver for the USB access. So even if externally they look the same, but the way SONY Connect syncs with the device might be different. I would still re-install the application to play it safe. You do not lose any config by doing so. I would recommend you un-authorize your PC before you uninstall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hardware questions:
Will I still get the $10 off of a book purchase if I don't install from the NEW disk included with my purchase?
That's really a sony store question. But most codes are entered through the software. So if the code is accepted you should get your $10 off. There is no reason why they should deny you $10 off after you just finished buying a brand new device.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the heads-up on the $10 off on an ebook from Sony:

I already have the current ebook library software on my computer, and because I'm already a customer then I'm not eligible for the $10 off. (The offer is a coupon affixed to the front of the box with a code that is good if the ebook is purchased "prior to 12/31/08.")

Additionally, the software disc is taped to the outside of the box and clearly states for new customer only, and also if you intstall the software.

However, I'm still eligible to purchase free $100 worth of poorly formatted classics.

I did successfully recharge my new PRS-505 with the PRS-500 charger, so I can state that this definitely works. I guess I'll probably go ahead and BUY the 505 charger so that i can sell both PRS-500s as complete working readers.

I still need definitive information if the new charger can handle the 220 volts. (The older charger is made to handle the extra volts.)

Thanks.
Don
Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
According to the Sony Website the AC adapter is rated at 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.26A.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...5743&langId=-1
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
According to the Sony Website the AC adapter is rated at 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.26A.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...5743&langId=-1
Thank you. I appreciate the help, everyone.
(Now, back to finishing that huge Tepperman pulp book upload...)

Don