Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Thoughts on Borders and reading by an author

http://community.penguin.com/_Back-i...50/150186.html

what do you think?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Well written cry from the heart... but it doesn't alter the fact that the "human need to gather and have coffee" in bookshops doesn't pay the bills and is dying because of the equally human need to get things for the cheapest price possible and the hell with anything else...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Well written cry from the heart... but it doesn't alter the fact that the "human need to gather and have coffee" in bookshops doesn't pay the bills and is dying because of the equally human need to get things for the cheapest price possible and the hell with anything else...
that's so true. i often have a conflict in me when i think about it too. i love my local bookstore; they even offer a great added service of wrapping your book covers for free when you buy from them, and it's got a lovely atmosphere with its coffee shops and attractive displays, but the need to save and get the "best deal" oftentimes overrides d; it's a very selfish trait indeed. but then again, if human beings were truly good, we might not be in the mess we're in now xP
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Starbucks needs to start selling books. There's still the human need to get Starbucks coffee, I suppose.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Is Starbucks still doing their "monthly recommends" or whatever they used to call it? I don't know because I can't afford Starbucks, or many books actually ... these days. I do envision that many bookstores are going to become small cafe download stations in the future.

As for the article, I guess I can see her point. But honestly I never got that chummy overly helpful we are all readers together experience at either Borders or my (closest) Barnes and Noble. I pretty much went in, found a stack of books to buy, and took it up to the register.

I admit I do sometimes take my Kindle and drive up to our Library just to sit amongst the books as I'm reading. There's a coffee shop there too - it's run by the kids from the High School Life Skills (Special Ed) classes. I guess it is a sense of community.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Starbucks needs to start selling books. There's still the human need to get Starbucks coffee, I suppose.
Maybe Amazon should buy Starbucks and setup Kindle Kiosks
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Maybe Amazon should buy Starbucks and setup Kindle Kiosks
As much as I like Starbucks, I might have to run screaming for the hills if that ever happened.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
anytime I have went into borders or barnes & noble to buy a book they have not had it, good riddance I say...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
But honestly I never got that chummy overly helpful we are all readers together experience at either Borders or my (closest) Barnes and Noble. I pretty much went in, found a stack of books to buy, and took it up to the register.
This is me... except that I rarely found the books I wanted to buy, wasn't too thrilled by what I saw, and as often as not walked out empty-handed. I guess that's why I haven't been too disheartened by the Borders closing (even though it's the closest bookstore to my home); I don't remember the last time I actually bought a book there.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote