Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which dedicated e reader should I buy?
Kobo (which model) 37 66.07%
Kindle (which model) 16 28.57%
other (please explain) 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #16
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I have both E-Book Reader.

Don't get a Kobo Aura HD. After several updates it is still not possible to zoom into pictures in standard epubs (*). The support said (I paraphrase): We don't care and we won't change it!

I only use my Kobo E-Book Reader to read Wikipedia with the browser, for the rest I suggest to buy a Kindle (Paperwhite (2)). You'll get more for your money.

(*) And before somebody says it is possible to zoom in standard conform epubs with the Kobo - it's not. It should be possible if you convert your standard epubs (e.g. you got from oreilly.com) to Kobo epubs but almost every other company can do it without conversion. I won't convert all my standard conform epubs to Kobo epubs just because Kobo is incompetent and/or unwilling to program a good epub reader software.

Last edited by joblack; 03-26-2014 at 08:47 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Hi,

I had originally posted to the other thread that you made with the same title. I copied and pasted my reply here:

Hi,

I have had a Kobo Glo for over a year now and it still works great. I have dropped it accidentally with no damage to the unit anywhere.

Yesterday, I was given the opportunity to pick up a pw2 for only $79 at my local bestbuy. Right away I noticed that the background on my glo is a lot whiter than the background on the pw2. The dimmer light on the pw2 combined with the darker background has me setting the light at over 18. (which is not far from the max setting) That is not a terrible thing.(and not everyone is like this)I think that it also has something to do with the fonts kindle uses. On my glo, I have added heavier fonts whick are way easier for me to see in dimmer light. I would have to jailbreak the kindle to add more fonts.(I don't think that it is difficult to do and I may try it later today) I think that both of these units are very similar but for me so far...I prefer me glo. I have 15 days to return the pw2 to bestbuy so I will give it a full weekand return to reply again with my verdict.

Hope this helps,

After several days of use I decided to write more of my thoughts. At first, I was unsure if I would want to keep the PW2 because:

1) I could not install different fonts on the actual unit without hacking. I need a really dark font because my vision is not what it used to be. The fonts on the PW2 are very good choices but it would be so much appreciated if they would allow the user to make it bolder.
2) Tweaking is a lot easier on my Glo. No contest.
3) When I first turned on the PW2 I noticed some light spots on the screen where the lighting looked uneven. Most eink screens are somewhat like this but this was really noticeable.
4) After using the Glo for over a year, trying kindle collections has really been confusing to me.
5) I like using pocket to read fan fiction. I is really nice and easy to use.

After using the Kindle for several days...

1.)Embedding fonts is not a bad alternative. I just wish I could retain the sync last location function between my phone and the pw2.
2.)I don't know if I have gotten used to the lighting or if it cleared up on its own but..It is not as bad as my first impression. The tan(ish) background of the screen is actually more soothing to my eyes. I do think that it is better than previous eink technology.
3.)I am getting better with organizing collections. Still don't know if I like it all that much.
4.)The send to kindle browser app has given me the same experience as pocket.

I had originally intended to get an AuraHD, but after being able to aquire the pw2 for $79 and really dig into it, I think I will keep the PW2 instead. I have read how hard it is to order from Kobo. I purchased my Glo from Powells and they only sell the Glo and Mini. My local Indie stores don't carry AuraHD so I would have to order online. I have heard of people being charged several times for the unit because it would reject the purchase and then run through. I could order the HD from Bestbuy, but I think I will just play it safe and save some money.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #18
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Kobo Aura HD:
+ better/bigger screen then any other Model currently on the market (no contest here)
+ the kobo options to modify fonts(strength/sharpnes aswell)/lineheight/margins on the fly/ondevice are far superior to kindle (you can modify the kindle books to achieve a similiar look, but its an effort :P)
+ the light is more even, better then on all PWs I have seen so far. (to be fair its also better then on any glo/aura i have seen. rating the light by device from worse to best: pw1->glo v1->glo v2->pw2=Aura->Aura HD)

- you have to install a hack to get the kobo to display text on the full screen without a footer that shows page numbers (it's simple and there is a good description how to in the forums, but might be a bit intimidating for some user)
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
Kobo Aura HD:
+ better/bigger screen then any other Model currently on the market (no contest here)
+ the kobo options to modify fonts(strength/sharpnes aswell)/lineheight/margins on the fly/ondevice are far superior to kindle (you can modify the kindle books to achieve a similiar look, but its an effort :P)
+ the light is more even, better then on all PWs I have seen so far. (to be fair its also better then on any glo/aura i have seen. rating the light by device from worse to best: pw1->glo v1->glo v2->pw2=Aura->Aura HD)

- you have to install a hack to get the kobo to display text on the full screen without a footer that shows page numbers (it's simple and there is a good description how to in the forums, but might be a bit intimidating for some user)
Are you located in the US? If so, did you have to order your Kobo Aura HD from Kobo online? I am curious about the ordering experience.

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #20
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Not much love for the Kindle here. Probably Kobo's a good bet in Canada.

I'll warn you that some people find the lowest setting of the front-light on the Glo too bright. The Aura HD and Aura lights don't have that problem. Also, the new Aura doesn't have an expansion slot.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #21
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Are you located in the US? If so, did you have to order your Kobo Aura HD from Kobo online? I am curious about the ordering experience.

Thanks,

Penny
nope I ordered them in Europe where you can get them from resellers and you don't have to bother with kobo themself.
For what it's worth, most of the horror stories regarding ordering from kobo are from the time directly after the release of new models, so it might simply be a case of kobo being overwhelmed by the amount of orders and not a general problem. (just speculating)
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Also, the new Aura doesn't have an expansion slot.
Yes it does.

Storage
4 GB
Option to expand up to 32 GB with a microSD card
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #23
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
This thread focuses on the Kindle vs Kobo. You might also like to consider the Pocketbook range. They can be hard to locate, but they are certainly available online here in Australia.

I bought the PB623, the Touch Lux 2. It is similar in price and capability to the Aura HD and perhaps the Kindle PW2 to some extent. I originally decided on the Aura HD, but finally opted for the PB623. It has a very good library system - basically just folders on the SD card, so it is very easy to organise your books with Calibre (or just Windows Explorer). It is also very reliable - so better than the Aura HD in that regard.

It has a good frontlight system - as good as the Aura HD in my opinion. You can also customize it, even more than the Aura HD. It is also better than the Aura in that you can customize it to read with either hand. The PB623 is not perfect in this area, but better than the Aura.

The ONLY problem I find with the Pocketbook is that the touch screen is a bit sensitive. I often tap the wrong part of the screen, and get a menu popping up when I want to change pages. I guess the Kindle/Aura would be similar. Swiping to change pages does not work well with the Pocketbook.

My previous Pocketbook model (PB302) had what I think was a resistive touch screen. That was MUCH better. Never a false trigger, swiping worked perfectly every time. Never faltered in 4 years of camping, getting drenched in water, being dropped, etc. Unfortunately it wore out.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:22 AM   #24
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I only got my Aura for a week now but I've had absolutely no problem with either the firm- or the hardware. No bugs, involutary page turns or anything of what I hear from the Aura HD here. The Aura's technology is a bit different from other readers. It does have a matte capazitive screen (e-ink Carta I think it is) whereas the other readers use IR technologie. Having had an IR touchscreen device for several years I have to say I like the capazitive better. No crumbs or cat hair turning pages or getting stuck in the bezel though the screen still is very responsive.

Its really fast (those new readers are worlds apart from the old one you have, believe me, I came from a three year old device) and the light is awesome. So are the screen and the cripsness of the text.

There are 11 fonts on the Aura and 24 font sizes. The changes you are about to make to them are shown side by side for easy comparison to the settings you have.

The Aura can handle your library books. It has a pinch & zoom function to zoom into maps or images. If you want to look up a footnote its shown in a pop-up whereas you have to spring back and forth on other readers (I read a lot of history/historical fiction/classics that are full of maps and footnotes, so both features are heaven sent for me).

The light on the Aura can be managed with a swipe instead of have to go through the menue, which makes for an uninterrupted reading experience. It also is very responding and absolutely not too bright in the low setting as people say of the Glo (I've never seen the Glo outside a stores bright light so I can't tell you if this is true or not. Anyway everybody has their own too bright, too much tolerance).

I manage my Aura using Calibre so I am not able to tell you anything about its manageability without it. It does do collections, handles all the information I give it about book series perfectly and makes my reading a complete joy. I just love having it!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 AM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@Poppaea, you seem so excited about your new Kobo that you are spreading misinformation in multiple threads now.

The old Kindle Touch uses IR.
The new Kindle Paperwhite 1/2 uses capacitive touch just like the new Kobo.

Likewise the Kindle Paperwhite gained the ability to show footnotes as popups -- this works for old and new books and is difficult for the publisher to mess up due to how Amazon implemented it.

I don't know how Kobo handles it. They may require specially using the epub:type=footnote attributes, in which case it may be a PITA to get it working on an old converted book.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-29-2014 at 12:40 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #26
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@Poppaea, you seem so excited about your new Kobo that you are spreading misinformation in multiple threads now.

The old Kindle Touch uses IR.
The new Kindle Paperwhite 1/2 uses capacitive touch just like the new Kobo.

Likewise the Kindle Paperwhite gained the ability to show footnotes as popups -- this works for old and new books and is difficult for the publisher to mess up due to how Amazon implemented it.

I don't know how Kobo handles it. They may require specially using the epub:type=footnote attributes, in which case it may be a PITA to get it working on an old converted book.
Do I now? Well, the Aura HD uses IR as do the Glo and the Sony T3, or don't they? Whatever your Kindle does or does not, I don't know as I never have touched one and I surely never will. And even when I read through my post, I can't see where I have mentioned the Kindle in it.

As for being a PITA to make it work, all my books are sideloaded and only a handfull of them bought at the Kobo store, yet they all do everything I described.

So please tell me, where exactly do I spread misinformation here?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 AM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You claimed that "other readers" use IR. I gave an example of one that use capacitive touch.

You clamed that "other readers" you have to "spring back and forth". I gave you an example of one that has popup footnotes. I also engaged in idle disconnected musing about the hows of popup footnotes and wondered if Kobo does it differently -- at no point did I claim to know one way or another. (Notice the word "may" appearing twice?)

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-29-2014 at 01:12 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 AM   #28
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You claimed that "other readers" use IR. I gave an example of one that use capacitive touch.

You clamed that "other readers" you have to "spring back and forth". I gave you an example of one that has popup footnotes. I also engaged in idle disconnected musing about the hows of popup footnotes and wondered if Kobo does it differently -- at no point did I claim to know one way or another. (Notice the word "may" appearing twice?)
If you only wanted to give an example of another reader with these abilities you could have done so, yet you choose to say I spread misinformation.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #29
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
The Aura's technology is a bit different from other readers. It does have a matte capazitive screen (e-ink Carta I think it is)
This is also incorrect, the Aura does use a capacitive touch screen, the same as the Kindle Paperwhite, but the Paperwhite is currently the only ereader to use the newest e-ink Carta screen tech, the Aura uses e-ink Pearl, the same as the Aura HD, Kobo Glo, Sony T series etc. It is only a limited exclusive that Amazon got for the Carta screens though, so expect the next batch of ereaders to all have Carta.

Its great that you love your Aura, but I'm interested to know if you had a look at the Aura HD too before making your choice on which one to buy? There are pros and cons for the capacitive touch screen that both the Paperwhite and the Aura use, the downside is that it puts another layer on the screen, and while Amazon have improved it from the PW1 to the current PW2, I think the Aura has more of a problem with it. Which is why if I was going to choose between an Aura and an Aura HD, I'd go with the latter, the screen on the HD just looks better. When I was upgrading I didn't want the slightly bigger screen though, so my choice was between the 6" Aura and the PW, and I eventually settled on the PW because of, in my eyes at least, the better screen (and Amazon's superior customer support).

Last edited by soulfuldog; 04-29-2014 at 05:56 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #30
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Its great that you love your Aura, but I'm interested to know if you had a look at the Aura HD too before making your choice on which one to buy? There are pros and cons for the capacitive touch screen that both the Paperwhite and the Aura use, the downside is that it puts another layer on the screen, and while Amazon have improved it from the PW1 to the current PW2, I think the Aura has more of a problem with it.

Yes, I did. I didn't see a big enough difference in the screen to forgo the pinch & zoom and the Aura being lighter and easier to hold comfortably with one hand. Actually I didn't see much difference at all, which might or might not be due to the lighting in the store.

I am not sure which problem you are referring to. The screen is clear and the letters are very crisp. And regarding crispness I am quite spoiled from the Sonys I used to have.

Regarding customer service: Our law makes the vendor my partner in case the unit is faulty, not the manufacturer, so I won't have to deal with Kobo anyway but the store I bought it from (furthermore Kobo doesn't sell directly here). So this wouldn't influence my decision anyway.

Tags
kindle, kobo