Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Question Book for my husband?

Hi all,

I need some help. My husband's birthday is coming up and he asked for some fiction books. He's not a big fiction reader, generally prefers non-fiction, but occasionally he really feels like getting lost in a good book. So now I'm trying to figure out what to get him. He's not in the mood for fantasy or sci-fi. He likes Tom Clancy's early work but is not in the mood for that now either. Nor legal thrillers. Can be comedy/funny. He wants something with solid characters he can really get invested in, good character development is paramount.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks guys!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow, that's pretty vauge... and you are going to get lots of suggestion. But, I've found that http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com provides some pretty solid suggestion. You put in a book title or author that he likes and it will make suggestions. You can look up those books in Amazon for summaries and reviews and probably find something he wants.

There are also tons of public domain books here that can be downloaded. Has he read some of the Classics? Like Treasure Island, Pamela, Anna Kerinnana, etc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've got three series of books that I have been reading that I think are quite good. The series are the Harry Boch series by Michael Connolly, the Spencer for Hire series by Robert B. Parker, and the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson (and others). These are not legal thrillers but books with good solid characters that you will end up caring about. These are what some would class as detective/mystery type series.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How about historical novels? If so, I'd recommend Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth". It's one of my all-time favourite books. Superb. I think it's available as an eBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post

Thanks guys!
Does he have an eBook reader device?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How about historical novels? If so, I'd recommend Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth". It's one of my all-time favourite books. Superb. I think it's available as an eBook.
Speaking of historical books, I would recommend John Adams by David McCullough. I have not yet read this. But I did see the miniseries HBO created based on the book and it was quite good. It's all about John Adams life starting in Boston not long before the revolutionary war.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Hi all,

I need some help. My husband's birthday is coming up and he asked for some fiction books. He's not a big fiction reader, generally prefers non-fiction, but occasionally he really feels like getting lost in a good book. So now I'm trying to figure out what to get him. He's not in the mood for fantasy or sci-fi. He likes Tom Clancy's early work but is not in the mood for that now either. Nor legal thrillers. Can be comedy/funny. He wants something with solid characters he can really get invested in, good character development is paramount.

Thanks guys!
I've just finished reading The Art of Racing In the Rain. It's available for the Sony Reader and several other formats (and pBook too). If he likes dogs and/or race cars, it might appeal to him.

The story is told from the point of view of the family dog. A very intelligent dog. This makes an interesting plot device: people ignore the dog and he gets to hear all kinds of things they would never say in front of other people, and unburden themselves emotionally to the dog with feelings they can't share with anyone else.

The dog, Enzo, is a philosopher who studies life through documentaries on cable TV and an enthusiasm for auto racing he shares with his master, a semi-professional race car driver.

The story moves quickly. The characters are well drawn. I found the story engrossing. Of course, this is all subjective.

Good luck.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
I would second this and also recommend the sequel "World Without End". It was originally going to be a chapter from the "Pillars of the Earth" but it got too long so he decided to make it a standalone book. Ten years later it's a 1,000 page book.

He might also enjoy some of the Bernard Cornwell books. Sharpe Series or Nathaniel Starbuck Chronicles.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But, I've found that http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com provides some pretty solid suggestion.
I've never heard of that site. Very cool.

I use something similar for mysteries. http://www.stopyourekillingme.com
There's a read-alike section and you can even pinpoint the location, job, and time period of the book's main character.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Lee Child, Jack Reacher series or Robert Crais Elvis Cole Series.
Any of the books will do, but I do advise to begin by the first ones, especially The Elvis Cole series.

And if you want to score two times, buy it in audiobook, he is going to love it!

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
For non-fiction, I'd recommend 'Flashman at the Charge'. This is my favorite of a great series of historical non-fiction (well actually non-fiction with fiction parts). Anyway, they are very funny, interesting and wonderfully accurate. Author is George MacDonald Fraser

For fiction, I just read Nelson DeMille's 'Night Fall' and 'Wild Fire' and both were real page turners.

I'm very fond of Clancy's early books, so I may have similar tastes as your husband.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
For non-fiction, I'd recommend 'Flashman at the Charge'. This is my favorite of a great series of historical non-fiction (well actually non-fiction with fiction parts). Anyway, they are very funny, interesting and wonderfully accurate. Author is George MacDonald Fraser
No way are the "Flashman" books "non fiction" . They have historical events as their background, yes, but that doesn't make them non fiction.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 AM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
For non-fiction, I'd recommend 'Flashman at the Charge'. This is my favorite of a great series of historical non-fiction (well actually non-fiction with fiction parts). Anyway, they are very funny, interesting and wonderfully accurate. Author is George MacDonald Fraser.
Great books .

Just wondering if you've tried the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. They're fictionalisations of the same military era, only not humorous. They make an interesting comparison.

I'm working my way through them on audio (currently on No.5 'Sharpe's Prey'), and they're superb.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #14
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Thank all so much for your recommendations! I will now see what I can find. He doesn't have his own reader, if necessary he'll steal mine
But, he likes audio books too ...or even paper books (how old fashioned, I know). Thanks again!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
ditto on this one. It was the first book that popped into my mind from the wishlist description.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote