Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #166
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky View Post
What software are you refering too? The firmware, or the Kobo Desktop software? Did you try adding books using Calibre? The GUI might not be easy to use the first time, but uploading books and adding them to the database on the device might work? I use Calibre to add books to my Kobo frequently, it always worked. But I did register my Kobo.
It won't work with or without Calibre. the Kobo refuses to update the book database until it's been set up. At first I couldn't see why they would so such a customer unfriendly thing, but other threads here have made that obvious. It all comes down to the special offer thing. There is no difference in hardware or software of the Special offer Kobos (out of the box). I assume that they just pull however many skids they need to fill special offer orders, and mark the batch of product id's into the registration database. The Kobo unit itself doesn't know if it's a special offers edition until you run the setup. For that hair-brained shemed to work, Kobo's now has to disable themselves until they've been set up on-line with the Kobo desktop software. *double pace palm.*
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #167
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senkrad_Luna View Post
Hi I saw there was concern about 9.14 and not registering a Kobo. I never registered my Kobo and figured I would try to manually apply the update anyway. And I got it to work. It all seemed fine;

1.Buy Kobo, refuse to register it(x2)
2.Update Kobo manually using files from link provided earlier in this thread, refuse to register it(x2)
3.Factory reset the Kobo
4.Update Kobo manually again
5. Enjoy

After 3 I had put a few books on to make sure I could still use it and when I did 4 the files were not deleted and they work fine.

While writing this I figured I should check that I could add files now. I cannot. The software is on there for recognising the new books but it does not trigger, instead the please set up the kobo screen appears.

I figure someone will know how to trigger the software to do the update.

I purchased a piece of electronic equipment and I have no interest in providing my personal details. The "extra features" of registering are of no interest.

Any suggestions appreciated.

For now I guess I reflash each time I want to add books. I can only guess it will have no long term effects if done several times a week.
You could just register it under a dummy email account...
your call if thats what you want to do. I understand that you want to protect your information.... lots of people feel that way:P and nothing wrong.

good luck

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #168
Senkrad_Luna
Senkrad_Luna began at the beginning.

Device: ds1000s hopeful
The software I am referring to is the software on the Kobo that updates the Kobo's awareness of books that have been added.

Previously after adding books the Kobo would take a bit of time to incorporate the new books so you could access them through the interface. Now instead of running that bit of software it complains about not being registered. Between updates I had added books and right after the last upgrade it indicated that it was updating the files and I found the books still there.

I used to have a couple of junk email addresses but they became a hassle. Now when faced with silliness I wait a bit and if it does not get resolved I recommend people look elsewhere to satisfy their product needs.

If someone is going to give up use of their property they might as well get an (insert questionable product here). But one can be sure that if I have spent any time or money on such waste of space products then I won't be suggesting them. In this case I would suggest people just get an IPad if it came to that. A product I will not bother with.

Of course the solution does not have to come from the company that brought the product to market. If it does then it becomes a company and product I spend time convincing others to buy. After I got an n900, I purchased a second and convinced two others to buy one. As of now I am looking to companies other than N, M, or A.

The updated firmwares are an indication of wanting continued and improved faith in a product, it's brand and it's company.

On top of that if you have to register with Kobo to use your ereader and Kobo goes under them closing means these are just pricey paper weights it has happened to other products. How does that equal keeping your ebook files?
Senkrad_Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #169
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I think it could be possible to hack KT to "register itself" by hacking its filesystem a little. There is some general hacking instructions in http://www.chauveau-central.net/pub/KoboTouch/

I haven't tried it by myself.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #170
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
I have a new problem with mykobo touch. now when it's powered off it displays the book cover but it only uses 3/5 of the screen now. i have two huge bars on each side.

Anyone one knows how to remove them?
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #171
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It may be the cover for that specific book. It's a sizing/scaling thing, I believe. This seems to happen more frequently with sideloaded books, btw. Try opening another book so the Touch thinks it is the book that belongs on the screen when you are powered off and then see if the problem persists.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #172
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It may be the cover for that specific book. It's a sizing/scaling thing, I believe. This seems to happen more frequently with sideloaded books, btw. Try opening another book so the Touch thinks it is the book that belongs on the screen when you are powered off and then see if the problem persists.
I found that Calibre can resize a book cover but you can always download a new one that way. Just remember to recreaate your ebpub so that the new cover and size is saved as the cover:P

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #173
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tim Legge adjusted the kobo driver so that you can change covers (in edit metadata menu) without having to recreate the ePUB. I could care less about the size of the cover, so I just download the cover I want without going any further. Usually the cover is fine.

Last edited by taming; 12-03-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #174
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Tim Legge adjusted the kobo driver so that you can change covers (in edit metadata menu) without having to recreate the ePUB. I could care less about the size of the cover, so I just download the cover I want without going any further. Usually the cover is fine.
Hm, maybe that's why the cover of a book I got in Calibre changed (in Calibres preview, my Kobo is still snafu) after the update from .28 to .29? I never had a change in the contents of my library (including the metadata like covers etc.) when updating Calibre before.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 AM   #175
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
How do I update my Kobo Touch please then?
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #176
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The change was several months ago. If you have books you loaded before then, you can do the cover change in Calibre and replace the older version of the book on your reader.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #177
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Feature or bug?

Ok, finally read enough stuff off my KT to reduce memory used to 1300MB of 1400 available onboard and have the latest firmware install properly.. I found that if I had any less free memory it would only attempt install and kick out without any failure message.

Now I can see my CBR file.. Yay!

But I think there's a bug now in setting the current location in the book when you close your book not by pressing the physical button but exit the book via the 'return to Library' or 'return to Home' link that shows on the bottom left of the screen when you open the options while reading a book. For example, I open a book, page forward a few pages, return to home via the options. I notice that the home page mosaic doesn't update the order of the bookcovers to make the last book I opened the first. I open the book I just exited and notice the page is back to where it was when I opened it previously. Anyone else encountering this?

Last edited by Xennex1170; 12-05-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #178
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Unhappy SD Card problem

Last night my KT suddenly started giving problems with my SD Card. It now dissapears and kicks me back to the Home screen after 5 minutes of reading. More info here.

I upgraded the firmware last week.

Edit: Solved - it was a poorly formated epub. . .

Last edited by SF&F Reader; 12-09-2011 at 02:33 PM.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #179
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Format SD card with SD Association formatting software in over right mode should fix your SD card so you can again load books and Kobo will display those books.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #180
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
What is the purpose of the little clock symbol that is now displayed beside the airplane-mode symbol at the upper right of the home screen in 1.9.14? I'm happy to see the time shown now when I tap the page while reading, but I can't see any link with the clock symbol on the home page.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote