Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #196
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Not true. There is an update being released today, but Vox will update (once it is released) automatically when you connect via WiFi. Yeah, like the stores are going to open them and sell open box units hehehe.

A friend in Ontario already got his Vox from Future Shop.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #197
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyJ View Post
When I called Chapters, they said something about a software update that needed to be preformed before they released it (made it sound like the employees were all in the back frantically installing updates lol). I asked if was an update that I could just do at home. And she said that she didn't think so, and that Futureshop might have them in stock, but wouldn't have the update. Not sure how true this was.
My dad was told the same thing when he went to Chapters this morning.

I guess they didn't want them to be released until they were sure the software update was ready to be pushed out - maybe the update got delayed. There often is a new update for the release, because the actual devices will have been finished and packaged a while ago. But I'm sure the update will be over the computer - they're not opening and repackaging all the devices!
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #198
robinwood
robinwood began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
kobo vox today

just picked one up a future shop mississauga -turned on and online is doing firmware update as we speak (write)

robinwood
robinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #199
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Let us know what firmware it gives and what it changes if ya can!
(i can only dream about ice Cream Sandwiches)
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #200
robinwood

new kobo

will be later today as this is a gift and I cannot seem to get info without setting up the kobo account first - so will wait for giftee to finish that and report hopefully tonight -
Old 10-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #201
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
Let us know what firmware it gives and what it changes if ya can!
(i can only dream about ice Cream Sandwiches)
How can you tell? I set up my sister's account with just an email address, no credit card.

Edit: I see that the Settings menu says Android 2.3.3.

Last edited by dmacmart; 10-28-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: update android version
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #202
robinwood

vox up date

Yes I skipped facebook and did the same
android 2.3.3 build 2.3.3 gr140 eng
if that means anything
Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #203
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
There isn’t much available in the line of protective covers yet specifically for the Vox but the dimensions are nearly identical to the Kindle 3 so I soon found a recommended cover that I liked, at a discount – the "Belkin Pleated Kindle Sleeve". It was originally designed for the Kindle 2 so has a little extra room.

It’s available on eBay.ca in black for $10.50US plus $4.56US shipping.

Amazon.ca offers it in plum and coral for just under $20Cdn plus tax, of course. Shipping is free if you buy something else to bring your order over $25.

Someone (sorry but I can’t find the post but thanks!) mentioned the "CaseCrown Hard Book Cover Case for Kobo Vox Tablet" that is also available on eBay.ca for just under $20Cdn including shipping. I like that it can prop up the Vox for reading but decided that having an exterior pocket for the rwo adapters was more important to me.

I decided to get a purple (plum) one to offset the jet black Vox I ordered. It’s scheduled to be shipped today and arrive November 1st or 2nd, before my new “baby” is delivered.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #204
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
That would have been me.. and I just took a look again and they do have a pretty wide assortment of cases for a bunch of different tablets that would probably work fine with the Vox:

http://stores.ebay.ca/senyx-direct/K...=p4634.c0.m322
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #205
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
It looks like some cases for the Blackberry Playbook might work. To compare the dimensions the Playbook is 7.6" by 5.0" by 0.4" so it is a little wider and taller, but a bit thinner (by about 3.5 mm).

I would try to find a case the uses the elastic corner tabs.

I might try one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A34I76D6T5OLHY

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1QGIDACEIIO9M

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3JRBTF3T7J4ZI
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #206
mandel717
mandel717 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPad
I just picked one up at Futureshop here in BC (after helping the employee with the initial update it since their floor model wouldn't connect to a hidden wireless network - I made a hotspot with my phone).

Anyway, I turn it on and just get a stock Android screen; no Kobo app at all! It also had zero charge whatsoever. This doesn't compare well with buying something like an iPad. It's a bit tiresome getting new hardware that's not finished. I'm going to call them and see if it's fixable or if I have to return it. Luckily the Futureshop had lots in stock.
mandel717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #207
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Mandel - did you plug it into a wall charger to download the firmware? You can't connect it to a computer (as i found out)

edit: of course you can connect it to a computer, but for data management. It won't charge and probably won't upgrade the OS.

Last edited by dmacmart; 10-28-2011 at 02:50 PM.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #208
mandel717

I plugged it into a wall charger and all I get is a blank Android phone home screen. I can find the default Android apps, but no Kobo stuff at all. I think mine must have been missed at the factory and just has the basic operating system. Just my luck!

Also it doesn't seem to be taking a charge. I'm off to FutureShop now to exchange it.

Screen looked nice and sharp though!

Last edited by mandel717; 10-28-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #209
mandel717

Just got back from Futureshop where the exchange model I grabbed also didn't have Kobo installed. Third time I got lucky (should getting what you pay for be considered lucky?) - I made sure they opened and tested it in the store - so anyone going, I highly recommend opening the box and turning it on to be sure the Kobo screen comes up. If it says Android instead, you should get a new one.

Now to update it and start playing...
Old 10-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #210
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandel717 View Post
Just got back from Futureshop where the exchange model I grabbed also didn't have Kobo installed. Third time I got lucky (should getting what you pay for be considered lucky?) - I made sure they opened and tested it in the store - so anyone going, I highly recommend opening the box and turning it on to be sure the Kobo screen comes up. If it says Android instead, you should get a new one.

Now to update it and start playing...
Interesting. Not a good thing for those who will be receiving it as a gift. Many probably won't even bother opening the box if they're gifting it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote