Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
ciscoswitch
Enthusiast
ciscoswitch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Mac & Windows (Corrupted Database)

Hi,

I have Calibre 0.7.17 installed on my Windows 7 (64-bit machine) and on my Mac (OS X Snow Leopard). I used the Mac to add books into the library (it's a shared library on one of my servers). Everything worked fine, then I closed out of Calibre on the Mac, and loaded Calibre on my PC. It opened and ran just fine, however if I add a book, or edit or convert a book, on the PC, then close calibre and go back to my Mac, it says The Database is corrupted and won't start up. Even if I tell it to fix the problem, it says failed. However I can start calibre on the PC or any other PC on my network and it works just fine.

Here's the Details when it tries to open:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 205, in initialize_db
File "site-packages/calibre/library/database2.py", line 140, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/library/database2.py", line 108, in connect
File "site-packages/calibre/library/sqlite.py", line 263, in connect
DatabaseException: unable to open database file
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/library/sqlite.py", line 152, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/library/sqlite.py", line 133, in connect
OperationalError: unable to open database file

Here's the details when I select Yes to repair:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 127, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/debug.py", line 49, in reinit_db
File "site-packages/calibre/library/sqlite.py", line 263, in connect
DatabaseException: unable to open database file
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/library/sqlite.py", line 152, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/library/sqlite.py", line 133, in connect
OperationalError: unable to open database file

I checked the permissions, and everything looks fine as far as permissions. Any ideas?
ciscoswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
ciscoswitch
Enthusiast

Hmm

Well I went to preferences and clicked check database integrity on my PC, then closed out of calibre, and started it on my Mac again, and it worked.
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
ciscoswitch
Enthusiast

Fixed, I think

I just wanted to provide an update on this issue. I don't believe it to be a problem with calibre, I think it's how the Mac mounts Windows (or Samba in my case) shares. Not sure why it's changing, but later on I realized that there was a #1 and a #2 mount point. When I get that message, if I just rebrowse to the directory then it seems to work. However it's a little misleading, because when I get that error message from calibre, it comes up with a dialog box to select the library, which is using the old path, and it appears to look fine (IE you can browse through the directories and stuff), I'm thinking it must be cached or something.

Anyways, by reselecting my server that has the share, and drill down to the library directory, then hit OK, then it seems to work.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad you figured it out. I'm not a Mac user, but given that it's based on Unix, I'd be very surprised if there is no way to specify a fixed mount point for a network share.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
ciscoswitch
Enthusiast

Mount Point

Yah, I'm sure I could always mount it the same by adding an entry to the mtab. I was just letting Finder take care of it, so I assume it uses some sort of auto mount and if there is an existing mount point then it starts incrementing the number. At least I believe that's what is happening.

It's not a big deal, now that I know what it's doing. I can easily just point it towards to new mount point.

This could also be something with my Samba server as well. I'll see if I can't figure out what exactly it's doing and why.
Advert