Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
hpink
hpink began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does the 505 hurts your eyes after a long reading?

Im still stuck between 505 and 700. I have seen many post regarding that the 505 screen is much better than the 700, but which reader is better and easy going on the eye? Normally I spend about 3 hours reading and sometimes I would copy notes. I have not experience with any ereader before, so its really hard for me to decide. If there is a good ereader with better screen, please recommend it Thanks. The screen is really important to me because I have a hard time reading from a lcd for over a hour.
hpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
hpink - I've never seen the PRS-700, so I can't compare the 505 to the 700. However, I find reading on the 505 to be very easy on the eyes, even for an extended period of time. I find an LCD screen hard to focus on after a while, but I've never had any problem with the e-ink screen on the 505. I've already read more books in the first 3+ months of this year than I read all of last year, and I attribute that to being able to read for longer periods of time.

I can't say I've read for 3 hours straight as I don't pay much attention to when I start and stop (or what interruptions may occur), but I have found the 505 to be very easy on the eyes for extended reading sessions.

Good luck on your decision!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
If you've never had exposure to an e-ink device than you may be ok with the lower contrast on the 700. The majority of complaints on the 700 are from those who have used e-ink devices previously. If you were to compare the 505 and 700 side by side you would definitely see the dfference. If you are in the U.S. and live close to a Sony store or Borders Books and Music then you should be able to view both devices before buying.

As for for ebook devices, all of the other brands have an identical screen to the 505. Each device will have slightly different options and it just depends on which options you find important. If you haven't already, check out the Ebook Reader Matrix on the Mobileread Wiki (see top of page).
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I have only used a 505, and I find it to be very easy on the eyes, and not really any different than a regular book, for the most part. I read for hours at a time with no issues.

From my understanding, a 505 is easier on the eyes, but that's going off what I've read here in the forum (having never played with a 700). I think grooks is exactly right-- people who have difficulty with the clarity/ease of reading of the 700 tend to be comparing it to an e-ink device.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The whole point about eInk screens is that they don't emit light, as most LCDs do. If you can read a paper book comfortably for three hours, you'll be fine with an eInk device; it's really the same.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The whole point about eInk screens is that they don't emit light, as most LCDs do. If you can read a paper book comfortably for three hours, you'll be fine with an eInk device; it's really the same.
I agree with everything HarryT said.
It comes from someone who cannot read ebooks from LCD screens. Too much eye strain.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Hi hpink!

Color me another supporter to what's been said here. I went to the 505 because of the e-ink screen. My old PDA with LCD was no longer a viable device for me. Too much eye strain. Modern e-ink screens are fantastic and shouldn't be compared to LCD at all. Apples and Oranges. I can read for hours on the 505 without any poblems, it's very natural and not like reading from LCD at all. I'd also look at the 505 over the 700 just because of the slight screen differences. If one is going to cause you problems, I'd guess it may be the 700, but I don't think either device will.

Nothing new to that post at all, but I posted to be yet another voice echoing the same thing to you.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
hpink, Harry is right on. I've read on my 505 for hours with absolutely no problem. I used to read on an iPaq but the light shining in my eyes got to be annoying. If you can get to a Sony Store or Borders or Target, compare teh two side-by-side.

I prefer the 505 for its better contrast and don't have much need for the built in light on the 700 or the touch screen for that matter.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
hpink
hpink began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the replies, it is really helpful. I think ill go with the 505. I was wondering if there is any deal on the 505 now? The lowest price I saw for the 505 is on bjs listed for 259 link: http://shop.bjs.com/Sony-Reader-Digi...VVviewprod.htm

Is there any good cover for the reader?
hpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Well there are probably a dozen of different covers. You have to search the forum to find them.
On the other hand, I am using stock cover(15 months) and very happy with it. It took me probably 4 weeks to get used to it after 500's cover, and "break" the new cover so it can be easily folded, otherwise I am satisfied.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpink View Post
Thanks for the replies, it is really helpful. I think ill go with the 505. I was wondering if there is any deal on the 505 now? The lowest price I saw for the 505 is on bjs listed for 259 link: http://shop.bjs.com/Sony-Reader-Digi...VVviewprod.htm

$259 is a pretty good deal.

Most people like and keep the stock cover. Provides decent protection for the Reader. I use the stock cover about 75% of the time.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #12
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Adequate lighting and type of lighting seems to make a huge difference regardless of the device. Also font choice and size matter, and are very personal. Serif fonts on medium on the 505 work well over hours for me. The best thing I can recommend to you is regardless what you buy spend awhile experimenting with different settings to find what works best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpink View Post
I have the premium brown leather cover from Sony, it works for me but I have some issues with it. There are a variety of after-market covers available. Take a look in the accessories subforum to see different ones and people's opinions.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Perhaps this is a good place to ask something that's been bothering me. I have hesitated in purchasing a reader because I am afraid the black-flash between page-turns will bother me. I read fast, use medium-size text, and the 6" screen is small - so I'd be doing frequent page-turns.
For now I use a (LCD) netbook with the screen brightness turned down way low.

Please let me know if I am over-reacting, or if it really is annoying.
Thank you.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #14
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
It doesn't bother me in the least, most people report a short period during the first day they are using it being a problem but after that it you just block it out. After all you have to reposition your focus back to the start of the text while turning the page. In addition I have a habit of blinking during that time which reduces me noticing it...

As far as how fast you read, most of us develope a rhythm so that we'll hit the page forward on the second to last or beginning of the last line so that it switches just at the right moment...

If you do have a problem with it you could look at something like the JetBook which uses a LCD (non-backlit) screen. It doesn't flash and doesn't have the slow refresh rate that eInk does.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Please let me know if I am over-reacting, or if it really is annoying.
Thank you.
IF the flip of a page doesn't bother you, then the "flash" won't either.

Try it you'll like it. First page turn's free!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote