Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
B&N offers Nook for Free with NYT Subscription

Barnes & Noble Offers Incredible Savings on
Award-Winning NOOK® Devices with
One-Year NOOK Subscription to The New York Times

Purchase a One-Year subscription to The New York Times NOOK Edition
and Receive a NOOK Simple Touch™ at No Cost or NOOK Color™ for Just $99

Available for a Limited Time Only at Barnes & Noble Bookstores, nook.com,
and This Week at The Times' CES Exhibit

New York, New York – January 9, 2012 – Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced that customers who purchase a one-year NOOK subscription to The New York Times will receive a top-rated NOOK Simple Touch at no cost or the award-winning NOOK Color for just $99. Barnes & Noble customers can take advantage of this special promotion available at one of Barnes & Noble's more than 700 bookstores and online at www.nook.com/nyt through March 9, 2012.

"We are excited to work with The New York Times to present this unique offer that, for the first time ever, gives readers a chance to get a one-year subscription to our top-selling digital newspaper with an award-winning NOOK Simple Touch at no cost, or a NOOK Color at a $100 savings," said Jonathan Shar, vice president and general manager of digital newsstand at Barnes & Noble. "Our customers love to have their newspaper automatically delivered to their NOOK device each morning, ready to read anytime and anywhere."

Through this limited-time offer, customers will have access to the NOOK edition of The New York Times, plus all their favorite content on the go, through Barnes & Noble's critically acclaimed devices. In addition to automatically delivering The Times directly to the customers' NOOK device each day, NOOK subscribers will also receive unlimited access to The Times' award-winning website, NYTimes.com, including regular news updates, opinions, blogs, video, interactive graphics and more. The NOOK subscription to The New York Times is $19.99 per month for full digital access on NOOK and NYTimes.com.

Yasmin Namini, senior vice president, marketing and circulation and general manager, reader applications, The New York Times Media Group, said, "We are delighted to be working with Barnes & Noble on this great offer, which we believe will expand the number of our loyal NOOK readers. We continue to design our digital subscription offerings to provide access to our high-quality journalism across a variety of platforms."

Signing up in-store and online is quick and easy, and customers can immediately enjoy their subscription on their new NOOK device. This week only, attendees at the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas can also take advantage of this exciting offer at The New York Times Booth 35644 in the South Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center to immediately receive their NOOK Simple Touch at no cost or $99 NOOK Color and begin enjoying the digital version of the The Times' coverage of this important show and so much more.

NOOK devices are the perfect choice for anyone who wants access to their favorite reads anywhere they go. Customers seeking a simple, easy-to-use, dedicated reading experience will love NOOK Simple Touch – an ultra-light, portable 6-inch eReader with the most-advanced E Ink® Pearl display and the longest battery life of any eReader. With a simple tap, it's intuitive and easy to navigate, shop and read. NOOK Simple Touch is also ad-free, so the reader can focus on the content and even customize their screensaver with personal photos.

The award-winning NOOK Color features a stunning 7-inch VividView™ Color touchscreen ideal for reading a wide variety of content including books, enhanced books, immersive children's picture books, an expansive collection of interactive magazines, newspapers and more. The best tablet value on the market, NOOK Color also offers the most-requested tablet features, including high-quality NOOK Apps™, built-in e-mail, and an enhanced web experience. NOOK Color was recently updated with more than 100 enhancements and access to top entertainment services. With all NOOK products, customers can shop Barnes & Noble's expansive NOOK Store™ of more than two million digital titles, and the ability to enjoy content across a wide array of popular devices.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/b...r-subscriptio/
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
That's great for the couple hundred people who still have subscriptions to the Times. Everyone else won't be jumping at the chance to pay more than the cost of a nook just to get a free one.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
This is horribly tempting - I've been thinking about a Nook Color - but if I did this, I'd want to root it, and I'm terribly non-technical. I understand you can buy pre-loaded SD cards for rooting - does anyone know a reliable place to get one?

and, of course, I'm not sure what I'd do with one if I did get it, other than maybe play Angry Birds.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
This is horribly tempting - I've been thinking about a Nook Color - but if I did this, I'd want to root it, and I'm terribly non-technical. I understand you can buy pre-loaded SD cards for rooting - does anyone know a reliable place to get one?

and, of course, I'm not sure what I'd do with one if I did get it, other than maybe play Angry Birds.
It's a terrific video player, although you'd probably have to invest in a micro-SD card considering how the memory is locked down.

Beautiful screen, though.

But yeah, I mostly play games on mine.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

You can get the n2a card from amazon or from n2acards.com. Extremely easy to install, and turns the Nook Color into a very nice Android tablet. I got one for the kids for Christmas. I get free apps from Amazon almost every day and put them on there. I just ordered a stylus for it, which I think it will make easier for me to put in passwords, waiting on a Trident Aegis case. The case comes with a screen protector which I plan to try out also.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
So for a $240 subscription, you get a free nook?
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not sure why other folks did not reconcile the cost right off the bat or are we missing something?
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
So for a $240 subscription, you get a free nook?
or that plus $99.00 for the Color. It would be cheaper to buy the color and screw The Times.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Or if you buy a Nook ST you get $99 off your subscription. Which is a good idea if you were eyeing a subscription, not a good idea otherwise. I hardly would call this a marketing home run.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I misread the price as $19.99/*year* not per *month*
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Hey! It's *one* way to move some of the shortfall STRs.
It might move a few, too.
There are places where people actually pay to read the NY Times instead of just going online.

If you don't like the deal, though; wait a bit.
Better deals are coming.
(Remember the Borders liquidation sales? Early deals were nothing to write home about. Then they got progressively better as time went on.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-09-2012 at 04:32 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
There is a similar deal right now with Audible. Join Audible ($14.95/mo--cheaper than the NYT), get $100 off a Kindle or other device (including ipod but not ipad, oddly enough?)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000013251

I think these deals are more along the lines of strategic partnerships than liquidating dud readers.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Yeah, this seems like an odd deal to me. I mean, if you were already eyeing a subscription I guess it's nice...?

Can you get the NYT as a Nook Magazine? I'm guessing it's exceedingly cheaper that way...
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
There is a similar deal right now with Audible. Join Audible ($14.95/mo--cheaper than the NYT), get $100 off a Kindle or other device (including ipod but not ipad, oddly enough?)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000013251

I think these deals are more along the lines of strategic partnerships than liquidating dud readers.

eP
Amazon's Audible offer has been going on for well over a year.
And it's not a strategic partnership because Amazon owns *both* Kindle and Audible.
Finally, it applies to a whole bunch of other *Audible-compatible* devices sold at Amazon; they're just looking to make Audible more accessible to would-be customers. (iOS devices are not inherently Audible-compatible; they need an App and since you can't buy content from inside an iOS app, the way you can from inside Kindles...)

So it's not at all comparable.

Now, it may be that the NYT subscriptions are underperforming and they're trying to leverage Nook popularity to sell the subscriptions, but I'm thinking the deal runs the other way.

Oh, and I wasn't implying the STR is a dud.
All we know for sure is that B&N has more on hand than they want.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-09-2012 at 05:52 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Yeah, this seems like an odd deal to me. I mean, if you were already eyeing a subscription I guess it's nice...?

Can you get the NYT as a Nook Magazine? I'm guessing it's exceedingly cheaper that way...
You can get the NYT as a Newspaper Subscription on the Nook. It is $.99 and issue or $19.99 a month. So you do not save any money.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote