Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Back button, stylus, & reset

I've just traded in my 600 for a T1, and had some questions.

1. The 600 had an on-screen back button. I realise the T1 has a physical back button, but it seems they did away with the on-screen back button in the process. Is this correct, or am I just missing the obvious? It seems odd to navigate menus on screen but need to press a physical button to go back.

2. Where do you keep the stylus? The 600 had a hole in the corner the stylus fit into, the T1... nothing.

3. When you need to reset your T1, how do you do it? Do you carry around a paper clip? On numerous occasions I had to reset my 600 because it would lock up, and I really appreciated the removable tip on the stylus that fit perfectly into the reset hole. That dual-purpose tip was really quite ingenious. If I had known how cheap the T1 stylus was, I would have kept the really nice metal stylus with removable tip from the 600.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
1. I agree, the touch interface that still requires the buttons is a little half backed.. But that is what it is.

2. indeed, there is no place to put the stylus. Why they even include it is one of those thigns that I dont' understand. Though I suppose it can be useful for people who actually annotate with hand drawn squiggles.

3. I've never owned the 600, but if you needed to reset it so many times, it was probably malfunctioning. Most certainly if you find yourself with a T1 you wished you had a paperclip for, it's probably malfunctioning. There are times when it might go wonky (happened to me once on the original firmware before update.).. however, the Unit was not locked up, and press/holding the power button was sufficient ot shut it down / restart.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
The stylus design (like most everything on the reader) is bizarre, given the fact that the previous x50's had a much better design. The stylus for the t1 is fricking huge also. There are much better stylus out there that would work better with the t1 and much easier to store in your book cover.

I just dont know why sony did a complete step backwards on the design of the T1. Even though it is plastic, its asthetically not as pleasing as the previous x50's and just too dang shiny.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Yeah, I really was disappointed with the stylus design. If you have a cover, I clip the stylus to the back cover. On the Sony official book cover, it's snug enough that it will stay in place. Other covers (Navitech, Gecko) there is a stylus holder in those models. The few times I've had to do a reset, I'm was at home and had a paperclip handy. Although I guess if you have a cover you could attach the paperclip on it for those emergency resets.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Thanks!

My 600 didn't lock up often, maybe once a month. I would then do an epub check in Sigil on the book and typically would find some sort of minor error. My T1 hasn't locked up on me yet (I've only had it three days).

When I traded my 600 in at the Sony store I kept the neoprene sleeve the 600 came in. Since the T1 is a tiny bit narrower than the 600, there's room for the stylus in the sleeve. Some day I may get a real cover, but I hold my Reader with one hand and I'm really enjoying the weight of the T1 as is (half the weight of the 600).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I just dont know why sony did a complete step backwards on the design of the T1. Even though it is plastic, its asthetically not as pleasing as the previous x50's and just too dang shiny.
I never did see the x50 line, but other than the shiny plastic around the edges I'm quite pleased with the design of the T1. A DecalGirl skin would certainly fix the shiny issue.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert