Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Adding Book from a Backup of the Library

I had a few conversion problems with a particular book (EPUB to EPUB), and so was forced to delete the resulting file. I have a copy of this book along with metadata that is different from the metadata in the actual file (i.e. it is metadata from Calibre's database; or rather, my old Calibre database).

When I add the book in Calibre it treats it as a new book, assigns it a new number, and resultantly uses the metadata stored in the actual file.

Can I import it into my current database somehow?

P.S. I hope what I am asking is not too confusing.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
add the book and merge it with the record that is existing
Click on existing record first (first record selected is the one kept)
Then SHift click or control click on new book record added
Hit M to merge the records
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can also try adding the book via the Edit Metadata dialog. This allows you to add/replace/delete a format for a book record that is already in calibre without touching the metadata associated with that book record.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Many thanks for your suggestions.

speakingtohe, your method worked!

itimpi, I'm not sure how to add a book via the Edit Metadata dialog. It doesn't seem to allow me to add another EPUB copy of the same book.

I really wish there were an option button or something similar to revert back to the metadata stored in the original file. Adding the book again and merging records seems overly complicated and long-winded.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
Many thanks for your suggestions.

speakingtohe, your method worked!

itimpi, I'm not sure how to add a book via the Edit Metadata dialog. It doesn't seem to allow me to add another EPUB copy of the same book.

I really wish there were an option button or something similar to revert back to the metadata stored in the original file. Adding the book again and merging records seems overly complicated and long-winded.
You can only have ONE of any format within a book record (ID)
2 ways to add in the metadata editor :
1) drag and drop into the formats area
2)use the Red Book with a + and navigate to the source location of the book to add.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
The 0.8.11 release introduced a new feature so that if you do an ePub->ePub conversion the original is renamed to a type of ORIGINAL_EPUB so that you do not lose it. This applies to any conversion between similar types. If present, the ORIGINAL_XXXX is the source for any conversion from type XXXX. If you no longer wish to keep/use this original file you can remove it.

Note, however, that this is not intended to revert the metadata. It reverts the file contents so that you do not lose any information in case you want to retry a conversion with modified settings.

It will also only apply going forward. In cases where you have already over-written the original you have to replace it with a copy from outside Calibre to get the original contents back.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote