Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #4321
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My July was a complete disaster. Bought 2 books and read them, so I was doing well. Then at the end of July the Man Booker committee released their long list of 12 books they are considering for the award. I immediately bought 6 of the 12 books on the list. There is a seventh book on the list that I'd already bought and read. I haven't even started the 6 I bought because I'm in the middle of a 750 page virtual door stopper called The Nix (although I am enjoying it and I got a lot of words per dollar spent).
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:04 AM   #4322
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
July went pretty good. Four audiobooks and two had to be bought before the credits expired. The other two were one day whispersync sales of authors I already read/listen to, so that was good. So, that was 4 purchases (because I never count the ebook of a whispersync duo).

August is going the same way although there was an almost freebee (Far From the Madding Crowd) that I bought primarily for a recently retired relative.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #4323
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm not feeling too much inclination to buy anything at the moment, either, although I think I have 0.01 of no-rush shipping credit to use up before the end of the month.

Even when books I'd probably like come up on offer, I'm thinking "I already have 20 like that," and leaving them.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #4324
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I was feeling rather flush with Amazon credits, but a couple of 'subscriptions' (Analog and Asimov's) and a favourite author's new work (Penric's Fox) and there's £7.50 gone just like that.

And then there was the Peter F Hamilton special offer this Sunday....

All really good purchases. But once again I've now bought more in a month that I've read. I suppose there are ten days to go, so I might break even this month.

I suppose eventually I'll start gaining ground, once I've bought everything I could ever want.

But my ereaderiq list is well over 100 titles. And if the Dumerest books ever go on a £0.99/title special offer, there's another 30+ titles just there.

Perhaps I should just accept that my TBR will grow constantly.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-22-2017 at 02:57 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #4325
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Those Peter F Hamilton books tend to be enormous tomes, too.

I'd actually picked up all of the ones I needed cheaply over the years before this offer, so luckily they don't affect my current stats. They're all from the bad old days. I haven't read many yet.

I feel I've been getting a bit complacent. I'm ahead on both my counts, and that seems to give me permission to buy things I know I won't read for a good while, even if they were on my wishlist. The last couple have been in paper, too. I need to cut that out.
Advert
Old 08-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #4326
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I bought no ebook in August. Just as well, as I seem to be floundering on the finishing books front.

YTD, I've bought 15 books for $19.75. All purchases were made with a discount, funny money (which I don't count) or both.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #4327
DrNefario
Wizard

I bought a book from my wishlist today because I had £0.01 of no-rush credit about to expire. I'm not sure if that's a win for me - getting the most out of the credit - or a win for them - making me fall for the promotion. It is exactly a month since my last kindle purchase, when I spent the other £0.99 of my £1 credit.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #4328
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think I would have worried about the £0.01.

OTOH, I've bought 17 books this August for £21.73

I suppose the good news is that my average monthly spend is greatly down on previous years. And I suppose the number of books bought is down too. Just not as much as I intended.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #4329
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Purchased only one book in August for $1.99. However, it was an impulse buy which I hope is not going to be a pattern.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:14 PM   #4330
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did well for August. 2 audiobooks and 1 ebook. I find myself getting free books to avoid buying anything. Bad habit that I need to control. On the other hand, I can listen to an audiobook while taking free stuff out of my online library.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #4331
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I thought I was going to do well. And then Amazon offer Ellis Peter's Cadfael series and Domenic Felse series for £0.99 per volume.

I already have all the Brother Cadfael books, mostly bought back in September 2014. But I now also have all 13 of the Felse novels. Some I read long ago in paper. But I'm delighted to have them to re-read, and to read the later ones I haven't read.

I am now at a TBR reduction of zero. My TBR list is exactly as long as it was at January 1st this year...
Old 09-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #4332
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I thought I was going to do well. And then Amazon offer Ellis Peter's Cadfael series and Domenic Felse series for £0.99 per volume.

I already have all the Brother Cadfael books, mostly bought back in September 2014. But I now also have all 13 of the Felse novels. Some I read long ago in paper. But I'm delighted to have them to re-read, and to read the later ones I haven't read.

I am now at a TBR reduction of zero. My TBR list is exactly as long as it was at January 1st this year...
Just think how long it'd be if you weren't trying.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #4333
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just think how long it'd be if you weren't trying.
Well, there is that, I suppose.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:54 AM   #4334
GoodLiving
Banned
GoodLiving began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am addicted to non-fiction eBooks related to healthy and Spiritual Living which I call GoodLiving...lol
GoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #4335
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLiving View Post
I am addicted to non-fiction eBooks related to healthy and Spiritual Living which I call GoodLiving...lol
If I could give up getting cookbooks, you can give up getting books that just rehash what you know you need to do anyway. and it may or may not help.