Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #61
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penru View Post
I just found a hidden SD mini port on the PE! If someone has a SD mini card or adapter could you please check the port to see if it is active? To find the hidden port simply remove the rubber cover for the SD micro port, on the other side is a SD mini port. If this works I wonder what the new storage limit of the PE will be... Can not wait for an answer!
I seem to recall there were plans for SIM card support (never implemented); I suspect this is the slot you are describing.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #62
Penru
Imagineer
Penru began at the beginning.

Device: HTC DROID ERIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
I seem to recall there were plans for SIM card support (never implemented); I suspect this is the slot you are describing.
ok, so does this mean I can use put the sim card from my phone in my PE?
Penru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #63
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penru View Post
ok, so does this mean I can use put the sim card from my phone in my PE?
You can, but it won't do anything.

As Glow said, this feature was never implemented.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #64
ken_jennings
eDGe User
ken_jennings has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage eDGe
Undocumented EE/PE feature: SIM card holder for people with more SIM cards than phones.
ken_jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #65
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_jennings View Post
SIM card holder
Good idea: while in Europe I can store my Sim card in PE.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #66
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

Last edited by glow; 06-28-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: typos
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #67
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Only if you are interested in shorting out both the SIM and PE - there is no holder on the board to contain the SIM.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #68
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Only if you are interested in shorting out both the SIM and PE - there is no holder on the board to contain the SIM.
Tested: no shortages and the holder is very, extremely, secure.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #69
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1541 View Post
...2. Energizer XP8000 (Another woot! purchase. Battery is 30 watt hours).Mike
The spec say; Rated Output: 5V, 1A / 10.5V 2A / 19V 2A.
As the EE/PE is 12V has this been an issue?

Edit: Product Webpage

Edit2: I see the use of one of provided 'Willy Cables' makes the difference.

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 08-07-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added product webpage
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #70
vmcarranza
vmcarranza began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
... By tethering my cell phone 3G, I have WiFi anywhere.
Hello!
I am new to this forum. I'm the happy owner of a beautiful black PE (with the Ermine update). I have owned it for just a few weeks so far, and felt somewhat frustrated when I discovered that it does not recognize any of the USB 3G modems I've tried. Also tried to find ways to tether the PE to my bluetooth/3G enabled phone, with no luck. Could you please tell me how you did it?
Thanks a lot in advance!
-Victor
vmcarranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #71
ATFmac
Connoisseur
ATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge, Ermine 0.9, Rooted, Market Enabled
Hi vmcarranza, Welcome to the forums!
I suggest you look over the forums in your free time, you'll find many questions/answers of all kinds. With the good support here, its often easy to find what you're looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcarranza View Post
Hello!
I am new to this forum. I'm the happy owner of a beautiful black PE (with the Ermine update). I have owned it for just a few weeks so far, and felt somewhat frustrated when I discovered that it does not recognize any of the USB 3G modems I've tried.
-Victor
3G modems will not work on Ermine, it is a beta technically. So far I haven't seen a fix yet. But Dingo isn't beta and it works with 3G usb modems.

Quote:
Also tried to find ways to tether the PE to my bluetooth/3G enabled phone, with no luck. Could you please tell me how you did it?
Thanks a lot in advance!
-Victor
There is quite a bit of tethering support as of late. I get 3G by having my Rooted phone use Wifi Tethering, creating an adhoc wifi connection.

Then you must either use ZT-Switcher to switch your PE into Adhoc mode so it can connect to your phone.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147180

Or you use the newest option that lets you connect without the ZT program. Seems pretty easy to impliment.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...83#post1770183

If you are curious about rooting your device, look at step 3 on this thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147180
Rooting is needed to run ZT Switcher, I don't see a reason why you'd need to be Rooted for the Non ZT option. Which is convenient for many.

Good Luck
ATFmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #72
vmcarranza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFmac View Post
Hi vmcarranza, Welcome to the forums!
I suggest you look over the forums in your free time, you'll find many questions/answers of all kinds.
Hi!
Thank you very much. I have been reading the forums, but the only solution everyone mentions is wifi tethering. None of my phones are able to act like a wifi hotspot, but they can work as bluetooth modems; so I was wondering whether it is possible to tether via bluetooth.
Thanks in advance for any help with that!
Cheers,
-Victor
Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #73
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
they can work as bluetooth modems; so I was wondering whether it is possible to tether via bluetooth.
Generic answer is YES.

Try the following, it works on some phones:

- pair your phone to Edge, Edge will show your device - phone - as "Paired but not connected". Ignore this message: I tested pairing with Bluetooth GPS and it worked.
- on the Edge hard press your phone for 2 - 3 secs and a new menu pops up and one of the choices is Tether!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #74
vmcarranza

I've tried with my two phones (blackberry 8250 and LG GX500), both of them are paired with Edge, both of them are configured to allow the Edge to communicate without restrictions, but when I select "tether" on the Edge as per your instructions, nothing happens. I've tried disabling wifi, I've toyed with the "tethering initialization" setting, putting strings like "*99#" and the name of the internet profile on the phone, but alas, nothing seems to work! Maybe I am out of luck and none of my phones can work with tethered devices.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #75
ATFmac
Connoisseur
ATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge, Ermine 0.9, Rooted, Market Enabled
Quote:
I've tried with my two phones (blackberry 8250 and LG GX500), both of them are paired with Edge, both of them are configured to allow the Edge to communicate without restrictions, but when I select "tether" on the Edge as per your instructions, nothing happens. I've tried disabling wifi, I've toyed with the "tethering initialization" setting, putting strings like "*99#" and the name of the internet profile on the phone, but alas, nothing seems to work! Maybe I am out of luck and none of my phones can work with tethered devices.
Well ptsenter said the Generic answer is yes. A lot of phone/android bluetooth related tethering has been a thorn in many users sides. It wasn't very likely that it'd work very simply for you. If you look on the internet for forums created for your particular smart phone, you'll prob find guides for rooting the phone. Doing so enables you to use as a wifi connection using a tethering program. Rooting is dancing with your phones hidden settings, which has a chance to mess your phone up if you're not thorough on following the process. I was able to do it on my phone without many steps luckily, each phone is different per community support. This is the most likely way you'll get free wifi to any device.

Feel free to surf a lot of forums for tips/ideas on getting bluetooth tethering working, as ptsenter said, some devices are capable. But as I stated, it hasn't been an easy route for many people, so you may have to search harder.

Whichever option you choose, make sure to read a lot before implementing any ideas/suggestions. You'd be surprised what you'd learn if you spend a day reading forums. Yes tedious and boring at times, but ridiculously informative in most cases.

Good luck!
ATFmac is offline   Reply With Quote