Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Hard Case Crime

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the publisher Hard Case Crime (http://www.hardcasecrime.com/). They do '50s style, and in some cases reissue '50s, mystery/crime pulp novels. The only book that they have as an ebook is The Colorado Kid, however, I just swapped e-mail with the editor. He said they are trying, through cover art and size, to hold to the look and feel of the '50s pulps.

However, he added "... if we had the sense that a lot of our readers wanted e-book editions, we at least give it some more thought -- so a message like yours does influence us."

So if any have read, or like, this style, make a case that we might buy a few in this format.

If I didn't already have a paper copy of The Colorado Kid I'd start there.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:20 AM   #2
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I like this 50's style crime genre and the fact that this company intend to bring back into print some of the best work of that era.

I have sent an email to the company requesting they consider offering their titles in ebook format.

As I live in the UK, shipping would be expensive for paper books but ebooks that can be downloaded solves this problem.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I have read several in paper and all have been above average. I started with Lawrence Block's Grifter's Game and have been hooked on his work since, reading 4-5 over the last year. I think that only Grifter's Game was in Hard Case Crime's catalog, though. Some of his older stuff is being reissued as e-texts, a whole raft of which are available at MobiPocket (and as library downloads, where I got several).

Last edited by VillageReader; 05-23-2007 at 03:52 PM.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Slowhanz
Slowhanz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, Zire 72
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, but I wanted to mention that I just sent off a note to Hardcase, requesting ebook edtions of their catalog. I'm a big noir fan and really enjoy their stuff and the ability to have a bunch of their books on my reader would be great. So, thanks for the heads-up.
Slowhanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Slowhanz!

And way to jump in with both feet, er ... hanz, er ... whatever, you know what I mean.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
pink panther
pink panther began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cool

Hi, I'm Pink Panther. Just joined, has anyone read "Colorado Kid" and r there any Charles De Lint fans out there? His books r no longer published in Britain.
pink panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I have read Colorado Kid...you're either going to love it or hate it...there will really be no middle ground...I loved it, but I'm all about the journey, that's all I'll say.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Just a couple of weeks ago I bought Losers Live Longer by a guy I discovered last year during Read an eBook Week named Russell Atwood. I'm looking forward to reading it.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I haven't read any of the new Hard Case Crime books, but I've enjoyed the vintage titles The Vengeful Virgin, by Gil Brewer, and Home Is the Sailor, by Day Keene.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote